Topic: Mickey Gilley

Hi, I have tried searching, on the entire net, for guitar chords for a song called "Fool for your love" sang by Mickey Gilley,
written by Don Singleton ...but so far I have had no luck,... Lyrics, yes, but no chords..
Are you able to help me with this? Brgds Boggie

2 (edited by Astronomikal 2013-03-08 00:18:57)

Re: Mickey Gilley

Hi Boggie and welcome to the forum.

Assuming this is the song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUVLvhwwK8

I couldn't find the chords for it either so I tried to transcribe them.  I had a lot of difficulty with it for some reason, so this may be a bit off here and there.

It's recorded in the key of F.  Unless you're a pretty skilled player (which I'm not), it's a hard key for guitar.  In order to pick the chords out, I tuned my guitar down a whole step (DGCFAd) and used G fingering  If you want to do that (in order to be in tune with the recording), transpose everything you see below +2.

Anyway, for what it's worth, this is what I hear:

Intro C7

Chorus:
I'm ... (F)fo-(Dm)ol ... (Gm)baby (C)
I'm ... (F)fo-(Dm)ol ... (Gm)love (C)
You ... (Gm7)half ... to (C7)heaven
And you (Bb)know ... enough (Bb/A)
(Gm)I'm ... (C)fool ... (F)love.

Verse 1:
(Dm)You've ... (Gm)near you (C)
(Dm)You ... (Gm)grow (C)
You ... (Bb)like ... (F)simple
And ... (A7)don't ... (Dm)ties
But I (G)see ... (Gm)ey-(C)es  (C7)

Then another chorus.
Then a solo which follows the chorus chords.
Then verse 2.
Then a key change +1 semitone to F#
Chorus in F#
Finish the outro as the last lines of the chorus in F#.

And that's about it.  Good luck with it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Hi Astronomikal,

Thanks! smile

I'm not a pro, but this will help me a lot, to find a key that suits my voice.

Have a nice day in Texas!

Kind regards
Boggie, from Norway

You're welcome.

The line that gave me the most headache was the one in the chorus which says:  "...know that's not enough"

He goes to the Bb at "know" and stays on Bb all the way through that line before walking down to the Gm via Bb/A.  My ear kept expecting to hear a resolution to F on "know" and THEN the Bb on "-nough", but it never came.  I had to listen to it about 20 times before I convinced myself that the Bb was right.

Also, if you're looking for a chord for transition between the chorus and the verse (or between the F and the Dm), try an A7.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.