Topic: Dark Side of the Moon - released 40 years ago this month

Here's an interesting Yahoo blog about Pink Floyd's album which is hitting a milestone this month.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-p … 27757.html

If you've never done the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" thing, there's a link to a YouTube video at the bottom.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Dark Side of the Moon - released 40 years ago this month

I took the Dark Side CD into my son's room (he's 14) & said - "Load this onto your ipod and listen on headphones." Of course, he didn't. Kids know nothing...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

DSOTM was certainly a landmark album, and showcased the best of what was termed "Progressive Rock", with state-of-the-art engineering (for that era), large-scale musicianship, and monumental stage shows. My youngest son (27-years-old) likes some Floyd, but is often trying to interest me in some of his music. Problem is, I like the compositional complexity and sonic depth of prog. rock, and don't know of anyone really doing that anymore. Has the genre died with my generation?

Went and load the album on you tube that's why they have always been my favorite band and I'm country red neck

Let no talents go unused

normtheguitar wrote:

I took the Dark Side CD into my son's room (he's 14) & said - "Load this onto your ipod and listen on headphones." Of course, he didn't. Kids know nothing...

The kid is missing an experience everyone should have at least once!

You know Zack used to like rap, around 14, he found his rock roots - now I have no idea who the bands are he listens to. My point is -don't give up. Classic rock will live forever!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

6 (edited by Astronomikal 2013-03-15 05:44:29)

topdown wrote:

[The kid is missing an experience everyone should have at least once!

Yep.  There are very few "perfect" albums out there.  IMHO, Dark Side of the Moon is one of them.  Nirvana's "Nevermind" is another one.

Hey, this could be a thread of its own:  What is your "Perfect" album?  Maybe I'll start it.  smile

EDIT:  I'm in the throws of a bit of insomnia, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.  (Boo!  Hiss!)

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

For me, it would have to be "Songs from the Wood" by Jethro Tull. Fantaatic musicianship and compositional strength in every track.

A close second is a 1976 Deutsche Grammophon recording of Camille Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim, Con.). I cannot get through the 4th movement without weeping ... absolutely majestic!

Astronomikal wrote:
topdown wrote:

[The kid is missing an experience everyone should have at least once!

Yep.  There are very few "perfect" albums out there.  IMHO, Dark Side of the Moon is one of them.  Nirvana's "Nevermind" is another one.

Hey, this could be a thread of its own:  What is your "Perfect" album?  Maybe I'll start it.  smile

EDIT:  I'm in the throws of a bit of insomnia, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.  (Boo!  Hiss!)

My thoughts for a perfect album would be the Beatles Abby Road.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I noticed one time at the dentist that when one is under influence of laughing gas that all music, conversation, and ambient noise combines to sound exactly like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  I decided right then that I rather liked laughing gas.

Another recommended perfect album is Live! by James Taylor.  He put together a super kick-butt band where everyone was at the absolute top of their game (granted that some of them had been at the top of their game for twenty years at that time and continued at the top of their game for another twenty) and then they went and had some fun playing JT songs. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude