1 (edited by Russell_Harding 2013-03-21 00:10:53)

Topic: New Tascam DP-24 day

I need more tracks my dependable Boss BR-8 no longer fills my needs so I will be ordering a new Tascam DP-24 track recorder it uses a card like the ones you put in your camera and burns a CD too it has midi plus 8 mic inputs I will be paying around $579.00 shippng included and a 2 year warrenty so when it arrives I will be selling my BR-8 and the Tascam CD-RW 700 cd burner here's a shot of it. smile
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/TASCAM/DV016_Jpg_Large_H80452_V.jpg

For those interested in the specs I am adding this. smile

24 24-Track Digital Portastudio Specifications:

General

Power supply: AC adapter (TASCAM PS-1225L)
Power consumption: 12W (Phantom power ON)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 21-1/4” x 4” x 13-3/8” (540 x 104 x 340 mm)
Weight: 13.67 lb. (6.2 kg)
Operating temperature range: 5 to 35-degree C/41 to 95-degree F
Recording media: SD card (512MB to 2GB) SDHC card (4GB to 32GB)
File system: SD card (512MB to 2GB) : FAT16 SDHC card (4GB to 32GB) : FAT32

Analog Audio Input/Output Ratings

INPUT A to H jack
XLR type (Balanced):
Connector: XLR-3-31 (1 : GND, 2 : HOT, 3 : COLD)
Input impedance: 2.4 kΩ
Rated input level: –14 dBu
Maximum input level: +2 dBu
Standard jack type (Balanced):
Connector: 6.3 mm (1/4") TRS standard jack
Input impedance: Above 22 kΩ 1 MΩ (INPUT H only, when LINE-GUITAR switch is set to GUITAR)
Rated input level: +4 dBu
Maximum input level: +20 dBu
STEREO OUT jack:

Connector: RCA pin jack
Rated output level: –10 dBV
Maximum output level: +6 dBV
Output impedance: 200 Ω
EFFECT SENDS jack
Connector: 6.3 mm (1/4") TS standard jack
Rated output level: –10 dBV
Maximum output level: +6 dBV
MONITOR OUT jack
Connector: 6.3 mm (1/4") TS standard jack
Rated output level: –2 dBu
Maximum output level: +14 dBu
PHONES jack
Connector: 3.5 mm stereo jack
Maximum output level: 70 mW+70 mW or more (THD+N 0.1% or less, 32 Ω load)

Control Input/Output Ratings

MIDI input (MIDI IN)

Connector: 5-pin DIN
Format: Standard MIDI format
MIDI output (MIDI OUT)
Connector: 5-pin DIN
Format: Standard MIDI format
USB port
Connector: USB 4-pin mini-B type
Format: Mass Storage Class USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED
REMOTE jack
Connector: 2.5 mm TRS jack

Audio Performance

Frequency response
INPUT (MIC/LINE) q STEREO OUT/EFFECT SENDS/
MONITOR OUT: 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +1 dB/–1 dB
Distortion
MONITOR OUT: 0.01% or less
S/N ratio

MONITOR OUT: 90dB or more

Operating Requirements

See the TASCAM website for updated information about OS compatibility.
Windows

Pentium 300 MHz or faster 128 MB or more memory USB port (USB 2.0 recommended)
Macintosh
Power PC, iMac, G3, G4 266 MHz or faster 64 MB or more memory USB port (USB 2.0 recommended)
Recommended USB host controller
Intel chipset
Supported OS
Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.2 or later

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: New Tascam DP-24 day

nice

I've been wanting one of these for months, but I've been waiting for the price to come down a little.  I thought that it would drop after Christmas but no such luck.

Do keep us informed on how it works for you.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I've had my DP-02 for a few years and have been really satisfied with it.  In my case, 8 inputs is more than enough.  The ability to burn a CD is what I really like.  After I write a new song I like to burn a copy to listen through different CD players in my house and cars to get an idea of what needs to be added to the mix.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I did quite a bit of research on the Tascams ability and cost and the lowest price for a new one is the one i am getting from AMS I am also getting a 16GB card and a roll of special tape to put on so i can keep track of which instrument is there,earlier I ordered 150 CD-R's got a great price so I will be ready to burn and I will let all know how its working out smile 

jerome.oneil wrote:

I've been wanting one of these for months, but I've been waiting for the price to come down a little.  I thought that it would drop after Christmas but no such luck.

that sounds like the best way to go sort of a seek peek at the progress of the recording I need the extra tracks for adding strings keys and vocals along with my rhythm,bass and guitar my composing is evolving and I needed this to keep up smile

Dirty Ed wrote:

I've had my DP-02 for a few years and have been really satisfied with it.  In my case, 8 inputs is more than enough.  The ability to burn a CD is what I really like.  After I write a new song I like to burn a copy to listen through different CD players in my house and cars to get an idea of what needs to be added to the mix.

DE

hi russ, this is the recorder i've been drooling over for the last few months. i've finally got the wife to agree (in principle) to me getting one in (hopefully) june. they sound brill, lets hope they perform to expectations. they're about £635 in the UK, but i've found a site that sells them for £520 give or take. they come with a 2 gig card and transformer...roll on june

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I approve of anything that allows Russell and Dirty Ed to get more CDs produced.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

How much is 520 in american currency? I went to the bank this morning and got a call they okd the loan intrest rates are down and Im a good customer so I pickup the check tomorrow morning and I am going to cash it and deposit it that way I can order the Tascam and have it shipped the same day smile

Phill Williams wrote:

hi russ, this is the recorder i've been drooling over for the last few months. i've finally got the wife to agree (in principle) to me getting one in (hopefully) june. they sound brill, lets hope they perform to expectations. they're about £635 in the UK, but i've found a site that sells them for £520 give or take. they come with a 2 gig card and transformer...roll on june

Thank you Zurf thats just what I have in mind smile

Zurf wrote:

I approve of anything that allows Russell and Dirty Ed to get more CDs produced.

11 (edited by Phill Williams 2013-03-19 00:04:10)

$784.00, it would be cheaper over the pond, but i would get interest free credit and free shipping! knowing my luck, it will go up by june!

fyi, i've just noticed that amazon want £100 more! bet you know i'm not getting it from there ha ha

yes Phill I did notice that, I had my loan approved and i will order the Tascam tomorrow morning and I found a buyer for my BR-8 and Tascam CD-RW 700 also my Behringer MS40 speakers now that I have the KRK Rokits I wont be needing them greener pastures are in view smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

I did quite a bit of research on the Tascams ability and cost and the lowest price for a new one is the one i am getting from AMS I am also getting a 16GB card and a roll of special tape to put on so i can keep track of which instrument is there,earlier I ordered 150 CD-R's got a great price so I will be ready to burn and I will let all know how its working out smile 

jerome.oneil wrote:

Yep.  I looked and looked, too, as I wanted multiple tracks that could all provide phantom power.  Right now, that is the only sorta-portable studio that does it.   I was hoping to see them drop below $500 after the holidays, but no luck.  I guess that is a testament to demand, though.  It means they're selling at that price point which is a good thing.

I ordered the Tascam today! along with a 1/8" to 2 1/4" cable for recording from my laptop speaker output to the tascam I spoke with the tech guy and this is how I need to get the Miroslave philharmonic into the recorder its called a Hosa adapter cable. I will be updating my experence with the Tascam in the recording forum in another topic so if anyone else gets one it may save time smile

Russell that looks like an awsome electric machine.I would most likely be at aloss on how too use one. Looks like a minature sound mixer you see in a pro recording sdudio.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino it is ,it is designed to be easy to use for musicians there are tutorials on the web to guide you it records mixes and burns the cd in one shot and uses a card like the one in a camera to store the information,Tascam is noted for there dependability and ruggedness I got an email from AMS (American Musical Supply) the recorder was shipped this afternoon and should arrive in 5 days (drooling)cant wait smile 

dino48 wrote:

Russell that looks like an awsome electric machine.I would most likely be at aloss on how too use one. Looks like a minature sound mixer you see in a pro recording sdudio.

IT'S here!!! this aint no easy plug and play guy I have to read the manual but its absolutly beautiful! smile

waiting with baited breath for the run down, how it sounds? how it runs etc

Cool,hope we can hear it soon russell.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Lets hook it up and go Russell.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I should get my 32GB card anyday now to max the potential but I can delete what's on the one that came with it and attempt to record a few tracks just to get my feet wet and get a feel for it,It's simalar to my Boss BR-8 and the manual is easy to follow more on this later smile

hi russ, from what i read you get a 2 gb card in the box, is that right? and how much recording can you do with it?

20 questions he he

This Tascam stores files in wav format which is much larger then mp3 and anywhere (depending on the length and tracks) 700mb + for each song once recorded they can be reduced in size after loading them to your pc and converting with audacity to mp3 format the card that comes with it is a 2GB so 1000mb in a gigabyte leaves room for 3 or more songs but you can delete all the songs and start fresh with the same card that's why I purchased a 32GB card smile 

Phill Williams wrote:

hi russ, from what i read you get a 2 gb card in the box, is that right? and how much recording can you do with it?

20 questions he he

Unless you are recording all 8 inputs at once, that 32GB card is going to be essentially infinite for you.   I get about six hours of recording on one track for a 4GB card on my Fostex, so that 32GB card should give you around 48 hours total track time.

Which is pretty cool.

Jerome from what reviews I have read in recording forums the higher GB cards unlock a greater potential other then more recording time I will do some more investigating on this before I proclaim it best and on a good note I figured out how to record 4 tracks mix assign tracks formulate the cards delete and most important for me to utilize the Miroslav Philharmonik  program and record a Steinway,violas and violins onto 4 tracks from my computer without a usb connection I used a hosa adapter its a 1/8" stereo to 2 1/4" plugs which are assigned to tracks one and two this is beginning to be fun not a long learning curve that I feared, I have a good start on this machine for one day but still much more to learn keep ya posted smile