Topic: Newbie here

Newbie here
Just found the chordie site. Nice! I've been playing badly for 47 years and enjoying every mile of the journey. 65 years young, 2 heart attacks, quadruple bypass, and a pacemaker.  But that won't keep me from making musick. My wife and I do a praise and worship service once a week at a retirement home and play birthday parties and other events, all at nursing homes. There's no pay involved except for the genuine satisfaction of creating smiles on seasoned citizens. Would like to hear from other players who are 50+ years old and what type of music they play.
I hope to be around for a while here.....
Russell

Re: Newbie here

Hi and welcome to the site.  I am a newbie here myself.  65 here.  I like to play 50-60's music.
When I get together with friends they play country, bluegrass and folk.  So I do a little of a lot of styles.
I have only been playing about 18 months though.  Still learning.  My local praise team is trying to get me
to come play with them.  I am thinking about trying it.

John

Hi new guys,
I am 68 and have been auditing and using Chordie for  a couple of years but I am new to posting. I have learned more here, than
I could ever contribute ,and 'chatty' belongs on Facebook. I have been playing "at" the guitar off and on since I was about 13 but have never been a performer. About 3 years ago I started playing with a fellow up the road, a seasoned guitarist, which has helped me to improve and begin to emerge from my shell. We play old rock, country and dance standards.  He is a snow bird and will return when the weather improves.  I commend you both , Russ for entertaining the "seasoned citizens" and you, John, for undertaking the guitar in your 60s. Take care,
Wayne

Good job gigging for those who enjoy it.  I did about three years as bass with a praise band.  It's a kick playing every week. 

Welcome to Chordie. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sounds like we are getting a lotta old farts on this forum! Who would'a thunk it. I'm only 62 years young and try to play everyday. We play a lotta old country, a little blues, and some lite gospel. Where are ya'll from?

NELA

I'm another "newbie". Found this site a few months ago and waited a while to register and I don't know why, but here I am. I'm 64 and started playing in my teens (think British Invasion) when we all wanted to jump on the "band"wagon. Started playing rhythm and changed to bass after a year or so. After the band years and military service, I got rid of the electrics, but kept strumming my acoustic. Broke my left hand and nearly tore my little finger off about 12 years ago and thought my guitar playing days were over. After a lot of self "rehab", I've regained use of my hand and picked up the guitar again. Little finger on left hand still does not cooperate well, but I've managed to make chords with three fingers. Treated myself to a new acoustic in January, a Martin SWGDT, very low action and and "sweet" to play.

Hi newbies!  Welcome to Chordie!!!  No doubt you can teach us whipper snappers a thing or two.  Join in and know that this is the best guitar site around without drama.  Good people helping other good people.  smile

Amy
36 yr old whipper snapper - started playing just a few years ago

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I, for sure, found some old farts. Hey, what guitars do you guys and gals play.?
My arsenal consists of: 1958 Gibson J45 (belonged to my mother-in-law who has passed on), 1977 Conn F10 (solid Sitka spruce top with solid rosewood back and sides made in Japan by Aria), a 2010 Morgan Monroe square neck resonator (think dobro) and a 2011 Seagull SWS Maritime all solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides. The Seagull is my main guitar. I just play the Gibson at home. The Conn is tuned to open D, and the dobro is much fun and a change of pace. I've played high dollar Martins and Collins and even a few Taylor's, and, they sounded good.....but, not 5 times better than the Seagull. If I had unlimited funds I would go a Martin D18 but since I don't, my Seagull sounds aweful good.
Can we post pictures on this forum? Would like to know a outs y'all's instruments and maybe pics.

Russell

Not only are we permitted to post photos to the forums, but if you get a new guitar we have made it an informal requirement!

I play a Breedlove OM Retro, which is spruce top and rosewood sides, and a Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee which has a spruce top and mahogany back and sides.  I was grateful to have had a good bonus one year that permitted me to purchase a guitar with genuine mahogany before all the legal stocks were used up.  I love the sound of mahogany guitars.  I also have an Ovation Magnum 3 bass (solid body mahogany from the early 70's), a Yamaha RBX260F fretless bass which is a solid body of ash, and an Ibanez GAX70 electric which is a solid body Gibson SG knockoff out of some kind of really pretty wood that I don't know what it is but it was made in Indonesia so I probably wouldn't be able to pronounce it anyway.  Whatever kind of wood it is, it sounds fantastic.  I mostly only play the Breedlove (named Tiny) and the Guild (named Boomer).  The Guild I use more for fingerpicking and songs where I want a real deep rich tone (think - Ain't No Sunshine) and the Breedlove is my strummer or when I want a lighter tone (think James Taylor tunes).

Edit to add: I forgot Ol' Reliable, which is a Yamaha F310.  I don't play that guitar much any more, but I learned to play on it.  I'm considering retuning it to an open tuning and learning slide on it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome all you newbies.  I'm always glad to see new people finding Chordie.  Its  a gas.  Great people here.  I have a couple of Martins which I got to better my playing.  They work a little.  I'm 62 and have been playing steadiliy only since i retired a few years ago.  I love it and love this site and love the people here.  You can't go wrong with Chordie.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.