Topic: Icame into some luck, but how much? do u know?

Hi I am an amature guitar player, or as I call it,.."try-er". I guess I havent been around the right teachers, point is, that being a beginer, the best guitar I had was a 100$ Ibanes and no-name amp. Fine for me, but nothing great. However I just inherited some nice equiptment and was wondering what anyone could tell me..like, price, history, famous owners,etc.. 1)Gibson SG Standard. good cond. Gibson SG, Special, good cond., and a black Kramer that I forgot to write down the info, and not at my immeadiate disposal. But it looks like one of those "heavy metal" two lightning bolts xing. someone told me it was a 7g$ guitar! Could this be true ? Lastly, a Fender, De Ville Amp. Any info is appriciated.
                                            Pete

Re: Icame into some luck, but how much? do u know?

Holly Crap, could you rubb my shoulders??? I need some luck like that.  Are you sure the SG's are gibsons? if so just call the factory info line and give serial #'s.   but for general checking use the internet. www.musiciansfriend.com or guitar center (both owned by the same corp)  The black Kramer, I need a modle. it should say on the head stock by the tuners.  Kramers are some shred guitars! (as are the SG's) Depending on the make of it.  you can look the amp up also.

the amp is going to really be determined by if its an original or reissue and what model there is a wide price spread there.
basic new SG standard 1,200

Gibson SG, Special depending on model once again, 5 to 700.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I think you should send me all that stuff so I can give it a proper evaluation.

It's the only way to be sure.  :-|

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

It's very, very good stuff.  Without models and serial numbers, there's no way to evaluate on this forum.  However, without serial numbers we can tell you that Kramer doesn't make junk and Gibson SGs are iconic guitars played on stages from Seattle to Nashville to Chicago to London.  Any style of music, you'll find someone playing a Gibson SG.  Kramer is more a dead-ahead shredder machine. 

Some folks playing Gibsons...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gibson_players

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sounds like a great deal you got there.  Way to go.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

beamer wrote:

Holly Crap, could you rubb my shoulders??? I need some luck like that.  Are you sure the SG's are gibsons? if so just call the factory info line and give serial #'s.   but for general checking use the internet. www.musiciansfriend.com or guitar center (both owned by the same corp)  The black Kramer, I need a modle. it should say on the head stock by the tuners.  Kramers are some shred guitars! (as are the SG's) Depending on the make of it.  you can look the amp up also.

the amp is going to really be determined by if its an original or reissue and what model there is a wide price spread there.
basic new SG standard 1,200

Gibson SG, Special depending on model once again, 5 to 700.

Thanks to everyone who replied! First off, I am cosmically sending you all a bit of that luck I stumbled upon smile Yes, I am a beginer, however I know that they are all genuine, no remakes or fakes. That im sure for a few reasons: After writing that post, I brought it to a reputable shop, to have them checked out, and luck struck again.. they r all the real deal. Good idea about checking the serial# on Gibsons web site! I was wondering why in one of the reply's it was said that the Standard would be worth more than the special..I was told the opposite. Also everyone seemed to be saying that the SG's, and espically the Kramer were "shredder's", Im assumeing a metal style? If thats the case maybe I should sell these in order to get one more suited to my style, wich is classic rock. Does anyone know anything about the guitar's Jerry Garcia played from the 1980's thru the rest of his career. I know they were specially made by Doug Irwin, but does anyone know something that has a similar sound, or how to get it. Thanks again. By the way, anyone that is interested in any of those items, let me know, and I will email some pics and info. He also had litterally hundreds of cd video lessons and books including a series called "The Next Level Guitar" feel free to go to thier website to see the different cd's and if you see one you like, let me know, im sure I got it or if u are looking for something inparticular..let me know.
                  Thanks all
                                Pete

One of the guitars that Jerry Garcia played was an SG.  Eric Clapton played one too.  And also Jeff Beck.  And Angus Young of AC/DC.  SG is right at home playing classic rock, don't you worry about that.   If you sell the SG for anything other than paying for a surgery for your child or rent for yourself or your sainted mother, you'll kick yourself later.  The Kramer might be good in classic rock too, but the brand built its reputation in metal.  I've never played one myself.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

One of the guitars that Jerry Garcia played was an SG.  Eric Clapton played one too.  And also Jeff Beck.  And Angus Young of AC/DC.  SG is right at home playing classic rock, don't you worry about that.   If you sell the SG for anything other than paying for a surgery for your child or rent for yourself or your sainted mother, you'll kick yourself later.  The Kramer might be good in classic rock too, but the brand built its reputation in metal.  I've never played one myself.

Thanks a million Zurf!! Thats great info. I am realizing how right you are about getting rid of the SG's, but I need to make a choice between the Standard, and the Special...Whats your opinion? I found a poster that must have came with one of them showing different model Gibsons, and I dont believe there was a difference in pick-ups, or dimeinsions, so Im not sure what makes the Special, "special". As for the Garcia question: thanks, I knew I saw him playing one around "70", but wasnt positive. Im a big "Dead" fan, and love any tid bits that I can find out. I love that "Fat" sound that his guitar has, espicially when he is playing a baseline along with rhythm. Do u think its the guitar, or an effect? Anyone that has not seen these guitar's should look them up. They r a thing of beauity, and musical artwork masterpieces! Its not a single guitar, its kind of a series of them. All look very similar, but some differences. One called "Rosebud", another "Tiger", "Wolf" was the other.All made by Doug Irwin. I believe 2 were auctioned off for an astounding amount, it was a few million. Not 100% sure. Check em out!
                                                                    Pete

So wait. TWO SG's? You lucky duck plucking son of a sea cook!

If you are like most of us you will want different (more) guitars as you play more. There is nothing wrong with holding on to both the SG's or even all three guitars. The difference in the SG's may be finish, or even electronics. You may not hear a difference in the SG pickup's but one who has a better trained ear might. The neck radius may be thicker on one or the fretboard on one may be ebony instead of rosewood. As you find out the differences you may decide, after you have sold one or the other, that you should have kept them both. And the Kramer.

I would hold on to all three of those guitars and enjoy them. Along with that Deville amp.

bunbun wrote:

If you are like most of us you will want different (more) guitars as you play more. There is nothing wrong with holding on to both the SG's or even all three guitars. The difference in the SG's may be finish, or even electronics. You may not hear a difference in the SG pickup's but one who has a better trained ear might. The neck radius may be thicker on one or the fretboard on one may be ebony instead of rosewood. As you find out the differences you may decide, after you have sold one or the other, that you should have kept them both. And the Kramer.

I would hold on to all three of those guitars and enjoy them. Along with that Deville amp.

Thankyou for that suggestion! Well the votes seem to b unaminous, ill hold on to all for now.Wait till I have a better view on things b4 I make any decision..if any. One thing I can say about hearing a difference, I hear a big difference between the cheapie amps I had in the past, and the "Deville", wich is tubbed. I heard of them being superior, but now I know!

I had a Fender Deluxe Deville I paid around 700 new depending on the condition you might get half that to a private buyer

"Growing old is not for sissies"

13 (edited by beamer 2013-03-25 21:38:29)

phoule77 wrote:
bunbun wrote:

Thankyou for that suggestion! Well the votes seem to b unaminous, ill hold on to all for now.Wait till I have a better view on things b4 I make any decision..if any. One thing I can say about hearing a difference, I hear a big difference between the cheapie amps I had in the past, and the "Deville", wich is tubbed. I heard of them being superior, but now I know!

Good choice.  keep them all. They only gain value.  I had a Kramer Striker 600. It was the first guitar I bought over 100 bucks.  (in the 80s it was about 375, which in todays market, maybe closer to a 5 to 700 ax).  I had to pawn it to survive.  I have missed it ever since.  Can you post a picture of it or did you find out model and value on it also?  If it has HSS and a 5 way switch or the 3 toggels, you can play ANY style of music you want.  It was a very versital guitar.  Yes I played metal with it, but also Doobie Brothers and Bryan adams.   All your guitars will play anything you ask them to. Just set up your amp for the sound you need.  NOW chordie ruels,, You had a NGD X3 (NGD= New Guitar Day) so you must post pics.  If you need help, someone here can do it for you.  I hope you stay with us for your journey.  This is one of the best places to take the ride!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

beamer wrote:
phoule77 wrote:
bunbun wrote:

Good choice.  keep them all. They only gain value.  I had a Kramer Striker 600. It was the first guitar I bought over 100 bucks.  (in the 80s it was about 375, which in todays market, maybe closer to a 5 to 700 ax).  I had to pawn it to survive.  I have missed it ever since.  Can you post a picture of it or did you find out model and value on it also?  If it has HSS and a 5 way switch or the 3 toggels, you can play ANY style of music you want.  It was a very versital guitar.  Yes I played metal with it, but also Doobie Brothers and Bryan adams.   All your guitars will play anything you ask them to. Just set up your amp for the sound you need.  NOW chordie ruels,, You had a NGD X3 (NGD= New Guitar Day) so you must post pics.  If you need help, someone here can do it for you.  I hope you stay with us for your journey.  This is one of the best places to take the ride!

That was a very nice msg you sent "beamer", it made me feel welcome, not an outsider for not haveing 30 yrs. experience. So thankyou for that. I will have photo's and serial #'s by the end of the day. I would appriciate your opinion after you see them, because I value your opinion.You(as well as others on this site) have inteligent input and advice, that I am willing to soak up like a sponge. I learned that when u find someone that knows stuff about a subject; shut up, and listen to all they say..and learn.
                               Thanks again..Pete
  it is 12:25 Eastern Time. Pics will b up within the next 4 hrs.

Most of us don't have 30 years experience.  Some do, and they're willing to share what they know freely.  This is a great place, and you are most definitely welcomed to join the fray.  Please share with us as you learn and grow, because everyone has something of value to share no matter how long you've been playing.  You're going to bring the whole of what you know and who you are to learning guitar, and that's going to result in a perspective that's different from anyone else.  Everyone's got something to share, and no one is so capable that they're out of things to learn. 

That said, it doesn't mean that we won't be jealous as all get-out of your guitars and amp. 

- Zurf

Hey Zurf, I know Im repeating myself, but thanks!! You people, or at least the ones Ive had contact with, are great. I guess Ive been jaded by the way I think society's social manners have gone down the tubes in such short time. Im 35 yrs old, and have friends between 20-60yrs old, and can see the difference in every generation. Its a shame, but nice to know I found a place where there are some genuinely cool people. And if ya lived in R.I. id b glad to share the equiptment, and have some jam sessions!
BTW: I never ever have luck like this, and I know just how nice these are, so im able to appriciate them, and id be jealous of myself too! I only mentioned the big things, there are about 12 pedals, an "Akai" riff-o-matic, u400, variable Tempo/constant pitch phrase recorder..wich I havent figured out yet. A Boss JS-5 Jamstation. Id look it up cause it does to many things for me to write down. A Tascam cd-GT1MK2 (fun toys!)
                      Pete

To Zurf's point, I came into a 71 SG when I was 21 and sold it when I was 23.

STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

18 (edited by beamer 2013-03-26 21:30:33)

phoule77 wrote:

Hey Zurf, I know Im repeating myself, but thanks!! You people, or at least the ones Ive had contact with, are great. I guess Ive been jaded by the way I think society's social manners have gone down the tubes in such short time. Im 35 yrs old, and have friends between 20-60yrs old, and can see the difference in every generation. Its a shame, but nice to know I found a place where there are some genuinely cool people. And if ya lived in R.I. id b glad to share the equiptment, and have some jam sessions!
BTW: I never ever have luck like this, and I know just how nice these are, so im able to appriciate them, and id be jealous of myself too! I only mentioned the big things, there are about 12 pedals, an "Akai" riff-o-matic, u400, variable Tempo/constant pitch phrase recorder..wich I havent figured out yet. A Boss JS-5 Jamstation. Id look it up cause it does to many things for me to write down. A Tascam cd-GT1MK2 (fun toys!)
                      Pete

First of all-- Thank you for the compliment, (im 45 btw)-- and then...OH man just rub it all in.  I love stomps! So add the pic of the toys also. and go ahead and list all of them.  You certainly have a treasure chest there! (Oh and the comment on your one post abut getting a "fat sound " like Jerry or anyone else for that matter, doesn't look like your going to have a problem there.  You have probably every tool you need to get what you want with all the stomps and processors you have.)
  I am curious though, You say you inherited them. I am hoping that you did not lose anyone in a tragic manner.  If  that was the case, it should add even more sentimental value.  I put a post on here this past summer about my luck of receiving my Ovation 12 string.  It was given to me by a dear friend who can no longer play it due to arthritis.  Long ago when I was a kid she had told me one day it would be mine when she could no longer let it sing.  That guitar will never be sold. (and it rocks too!  just ask Jeff (TopDown) or Zurf, I had it wired up with some distortion and flange for our Skype the other day! LOLOL)
Jx3 (Joey Joey Joey ) lives in NJ, but that is still a 4hr trip for ya. So that being said, keep an eye out for Skype dates in the general forum. They pop up every now and then and its good fun.  Think Virtual campfire. Each person takes a turn doing their thing.  And don’t worry about your voice, most of us can’t sing too great either. We all know it and do the best we can.  (There are those of us who do sing very good too, Just not me! I Sing flat as heck!)

Just looked up your 2 Gibson SG's on Long & McQuade's site:

Gibson SG Special (SGSPEBCH) ... $1,025.00

Gibson SG Standard (SGSEBCH) ... $1,250.00

Of course there are variations of both that affect the price, but you obviously scored big with these acquisitions! Two more classic rock guitarists who favored SG's were Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) and Mickey Box (Uriah Heep).

Some Kramer history:
http://www.vintagekramer.com/baretta1.htm

this site should let you know what you have and its history.