Topic: Gretsch - Ugly Back Cover

Window shopping on eBay when I saw this Gretsch Country Gentleman at just under three grand. Obviously I wasn't seriously going to buy it but what's that ugly vinyl cover on the back? Looks horrible ugly...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1968-Gretsch-Coun … dZViewItem

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Gretsch - Ugly Back Cover

This covering on the back was an invention by gretsch inventor Jimmie Webster. It is a circular padded plastic, press studded pad, patented in 1963. It protects the finish from damage and hides the guitars control wiring.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Good work Altex you did the research although the pad does not cover the electronics. There is a cover plate that screws on over the electronics and then the pad goes over that to protect the finish. But +1 for doing the research and not just guessing.

Bootlegger.

Thanks guys, I often come over all silly about electrics covers. You sometimes have a fine guitar in a lovely wood finish but round behind a cheap badly fitting cover. Also I find multiple covers a big turn-off. Last band I saw in a bar had a Fender Stratocaster player and the back of this instrument had a huge area under the tail piece devoted to springs, not sure what kind of tensioning gizmo this was.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

Thanks guys, I often come over all silly about electrics covers. You sometimes have a fine guitar in a lovely wood finish but round behind a cheap badly fitting cover. Also I find multiple covers a big turn-off. Last band I saw in a bar had a Fender Stratocaster player and the back of this instrument had a huge area under the tail piece devoted to springs, not sure what kind of tensioning gizmo this was.

Those were the springs to his tremolo unit. He took of the tremolo cover. If you wear a belt with a buckle (I turn mine to the left side of my waist, I'm right handed) tleave the cover on it helps to keep scratches to a minimal. It dosn't matter if it looks cool, because I don't think scratches do.

Bootlegger.