Re: For all vets!!

Phill Williams wrote:

your general and i are in total agreement. just one question; how the hell do they get us poor saps to kill and be killed for them?

General Butler covered that in great detail, too.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/war … et.html#c3

But in short, it goes back to Napoleon.

"All men are enamored of decorations . . . they positively hunger for them."

And it goes from there.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Wars are fought by many for the private interests of a very few.

In the modern world, I would say that is correct.  But historically, not so much.  I would submit that the American Revolution and US Civil Wars (if you can ignore the  oxymoron) are glaring exceptions.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Wars are fought by many for the private interests of a very few.

In the modern world, I would say that is correct.  But historically, not so much.  I would submit that the American Revolution and US Civil Wars (if you can ignore the  oxymoron) are glaring exceptions.

I don't think they are that glaring.

The taxation issue that sparked the American Revolution was basically a bunch of colonials that didn't want to pay the war debt incurred by the British as a result of the French and Indian wars.    The primary financial beneficiaries of the Revolution were land owners who were freed from having to pay that debt, and the French aristocracy that got to remove their British enemies from one corner of the world.   One might also consider that the British didn't consider the colonies as a particularly valuable asset and had most of their military might down in the Caribbean defending their very lucrative sugar plantations.  In short, they were protecting their racket elsewhere.

WRT the civil war, one might say that the reason the South was so adamant about maintaining slavery as an institution is because their entire economy was based on slave driven agriculture and the wealth it provided.   Very few southerners owned slaves or benefitted from its institutions, but a small number of southerners made vast fortunes on it.   Just like Smedley wrote.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Well in that regard, I think you can distill it down to the point where you can say that just about any major "thing" that happens is going to benefit a relative few a great deal, but the general population can still get a lot of benefit as well.  Example:  Facebook (and most other major companies) made a few people very rich, but many other people enjoy the product.  (In the case of Facebook, myself excluded.)

Back to the Revolutionary and Civil wars, while it's true that maybe relatively few held the genuine interests which started them, I think we can all agree that after they were over, the general population benefitted from the result.

That's the point I'm trying to make.  Maybe another way to say it is, even if a war is started for "the private interests of a very few", it doesn't mean that the good results (assuming there are good results) won't benefit the population as a whole.  And if it does, then it could be argued that the population's interests are served as well.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

John McCutcheon summed up my opinions on war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi41RWaTCs

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

John McCutcheon summed up my opinions on war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi41RWaTCs

- Zurf

I really like that Zurf

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

cj-5 wrote:

Well there you have it folks. If ya wanna know how Our Country really feels about the Vietnam Veteran in general, all you gotta do is tune into CBS and watch their new reality show called The "Amazing Race" It highlights Communism and spits in the face of every American solider who served during the Vietnam war. It makes me sick to my stomach to see one of their war monuments of victory being a downed B-52 where two of it's pilots/crew taken as POW and others MIA, presumed dead. They use this monument for a spot to hide clues for their stupid race. Contestants are also treated to communism propaganda parties and songs. If CBS did this in Iraq or Afghanistan they probably would be run out of our country. How about if they did something like this with the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor. Do you think our country would have tolerated that! Oh Hell no!!!

Where's the outrage over the courts requiring the removal of crosses put up decades ago to  commemorate fallen Vietnam Soldiers? Yeah, we're appreciated alright.

How come Vietnam Vets are the only soldiers in American history who basically are made to feel like an abomination to our own country. What did we do so wrong? Yet most of us old farts would do it again if called upon to do so. My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the downing of any B-52. I hope they did not see that stupid, stupid, stupid reality show. CBS can stick it!

Someday I'd like to share why we at Ft Bragg years ago, use to refer to Fayetteville North Carolina as Fayette-Nam. But that's another story of bad memories.

I had a real dilemma on whether or not to post this. Often times I write things out then just delete them. This time I did not. I apologize if this is felt by any to be inappropriate. Sometimes I just vent and most of the time I regret doing it. OH WELL!

cj-5

I'm with you cj-5 !   The way our country has treated the vets of the 60's and 70's is a disgrace.  They act as though we were some kind of joke to be hidden and forgotten.

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

There is no glory in war. None.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"