Topic: Ability to Sing

I guess this is the place to post this. I don't see anywhere else that would fit it.

First off Let me say Mekidsmom, you have an absolutely beautiful voice. You are very gifted. Thanks for sharing some of your songs. I really enjoyed listening to you sing.

Now, in my younger years I had a fairly good singing voice. After years of abuse, ie operating heavy equipment, chain saws, shooting guns etc. I suffer from high frequency hearing loss even though I did wear hearing protection most of the time. Basically, for the most part, I can't hold a tune in a bucket anymore. I can still do kinda OK with a few old songs I grew up with and know really well, provided I don't sing one too many times in a row. Don't know why, but if I sing a song too many times I lose my ability to produce the proper tune. This is very frustrating and often times takes the wind out of my sails which results in me putting my guitar away.

My question is: Does anyone have this same problem? Does any of you know if there is anything I can do to help me be able to sing without making my dogs run away and my wife's brow get wrinkles in her forehead? I've heard that hearing aids don't really help with high frequency loss in the area of singing. Does anyone know if that's true? Also Hearing aids are very expensive.

A lot of songs I play don't really work without the words. Maybe I Should I give up the singing altogether and just enjoy plunking around on my guitars. Any suggestions?

Warning Note: take care of your hearing. It's a bummer when you start losing it. I've also learned that a lot of hearing protection,,, really isn't. Make sure you have the type that does protect. Everyone looses hearing with age, but you don't have to help it along. Protect yourself always!

Thanks

Re: Ability to Sing

Hi cj I am a poor singer also,that is why I do not record to you tube etc.I was thinking I should practice it more as all the members here have told me I would get better with time. Yes amy has been blessed with a great voice,pete benson has improved alot since he has been putting songs on you tube. I am not going too give up my playing guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

ah! tips and tricks?

most important is that you sing in a key that is comfortable for your voice.

practice scales and keep your throat lubricated, (i like beer my-self) water can help in extreme cases, but not milk as that makes your saliva all thick. sorry to be so crude.

i've often found that a good sherry or brandy will help loosen and soothe the throat and voice box, gargle and take it down as far as you can before retching, then swallow (i recommend that bit)

i was recommended some stuff called Sandersons, it was a throat de-sensitiser an could only be obtained at a pharmacist or chemist. and it tastes like nothing you'd ever want in your mouth, but it works.

hope i've given you some advice that might help.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phil, how do I know what key is good for me?  I dont have a clue and I have a heard time matching to a scale or piano>  so how bout what is good for low voices with minimal range lol

One skype jam I tuned down a half step as I have alw2ays know this to be a trick of many rock bands.  Should I go a whole step? (as KISS does now lololol)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

5 (edited by bensonp 2013-03-26 22:16:02)

I see two different kind of singers out there.  Those that cant hold a note or reach a note without falling flat (these are the ones that need to practice) and those that have a fairly lousy voice, but can keep a tune.  If you are blessed with the ability to hold a tune and change pitches at will, even though you may have a bad voice, then you really don't have a problem.  Examples include, Willie Nelson, Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan.  Their voice isn't the greatest but they write great music and can hold a note through a storm.  As far as learning to sing on key, I am not sure how they teach that.  Some people just can't do it.  On the other hand, people who used to be able to sing, but have experienced hearing loss, also have a problem because hearing is very important to be able to sing on key.  Short of a hearing aid, I am not sure what the solution is, or if there is even a solution.  I have heard people comment that if they can start off te song with the correct note, they don't have a problem with the rest of the song and there are good days and bad when it comes to this. Singing is important to me because I play mostly chords, strumming patterns and without a melody to sing, you wouldn't know what the song is.  If you had it ands lost it, I feel your pain.  Is it possible to hold a note correctly if you can't hear yourself singing?  I don't know.  I really hope you find a solution.  I'll be reading up on it in the mean time and if I come up with a solution I will post it here.  Good luck buddy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I guess I missed one type of singer.  Those who can hold a note and have a good voice.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I can't sing worth a damn, hell, I can just barely call myself a guitar player. That said, I'd rather be playing my guitar and singing than doing just about anything else. I play and sing for fun, folks ain't paying to see me. Jerome said once, singing is 90% attitude and 10% talent. I believe if you sing from the heart, your feelings and spirit will outshine being a little out of tune and most folks appreciate the effort. And if that don't work, just crank it up! I often make up for my lack of talent with volume!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Need a like button for top down

Let no talents go unused

topdown wrote:

I can't sing worth a damn, hell, I can just barely call myself a guitar player. That said, I'd rather be playing by guitar and singing than doing just about anything else. I play and sing for fun, folks ain't paying to see me. Jerome said once, singing is 90% attitude and 10% talent. I believe if you sing from the heart, your feelings and spirit will outshine being a little out of tune and most folks appreciate the effort. And if that don't work, just crank it up! I often make up for my lack of talent with volume!

When all is said and done you are right Jeff. And that's why I do what I do.

Hey Thanks for the encouragement Guys.

A long long time ago in a land far away I had people tell me that I had an ability to imitate    Charlie Pride, George Jones, Conway Twitty and a few others when singing a couple of their songs. The one that scares me, is I was told numerous times that I could imitate Tanya Tucker singing Delta Dawn.  Man! I can't believe I just told you that. :0  (just voice-wise mind you)

Anyway, Now I can't even imitate myself. I do like Phill Williams advice. I think I'll try the brandy until I can either sing or not give a rats rear.  At least I'll have fun! smile

PETE: thanks for wanting to research this. You can bet I'll be interested in anything you can find out. I'll be looking into it as well.

Topdown: I like that, Crank up the volume!------ then I'll whisper the lyrics. However I would be extremely happy with your Rule No. 1

Man! I just want to play and sing. Doesn't have to be great just good enough to keep horses from bucking.

topdown wrote:

I can't sing worth a damn, hell, I can just barely call myself a guitar player. That said, I'd rather be playing my guitar and singing than doing just about anything else. I play and sing for fun, folks ain't paying to see me. Jerome said once, singing is 90% attitude and 10% talent. I believe if you sing from the heart, your feelings and spirit will outshine being a little out of tune and most folks appreciate the effort. And if that don't work, just crank it up! I often make up for my lack of talent with volume!

Man, Then you need to set up like I do! lol  Or as my brother-in-law says, just step on that ROCKSTAR button!LOLOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

cj-5 wrote:

Hey Thanks for the encouragement Guys.

Topdown: I like that, Crank up the volume!------ then I'll whisper the lyrics. However I would be extremely happy with your Rule No. 1

Man! I just want to play and sing. Doesn't have to be great just good enough to keep horses from bucking.

Oh I think if you can make them buck then your doing it right!  Like my note to Jeff, amp up your guitar, weather its got electric inside or just a soundhole pick up like I use, you can kick in that ROCKSTAR button! lol  amazing what some chorus and reverb can do for you.  You can even try out running your mic through the same effects.  I like to play around with mine like that.

The problem might be one of not hearing your voice in your head adequately vs. the sound of the guitar and environmental noise. Try putting in foam earplugs. You'll hear a lot more head voice and a lot less external sound.

I also have experienced some hearing loss over the years and never passed a hearing test the last 10 years at work.  The good news is I have papers to prove (and show my wife) that I don't hear well in the range of the female voice .....lol!

I also noticed that it affected my singing but I have compensated by holding my acoustic guitar up higher against my chest when I play.  I feel the vibrations as well as hear the guitar better and this allows me to closer match the tone of the guitar.  Recently I received an email from one of the on-line CD makers which had hints for recording/performing.  I have always drank a shot of bourbon or some lemon juice, but they said they keep potato chips around for singers to eat before they sing.  The salt and the abrasive nature of the chips are supposed to help clean the vocal chords.  I scoffed at the idea but tried it when I had a 2-night performance at a local venue.  I had several folks stop me afterwards and comment how well my voice sounded.  Believe me, I'll have some chips around the next time I play!

Chios or changing guitar position may be worth trying cj.  Hang in there.  Johnny Cash, Kris Kristoferson and Townes Van Zandt weren't the greatest singers either but pretty damn entertaining!

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

If all else fails, drink a lot of alcohol before you sing and you will sound great.

I just came across this little tidbit on the web.  Someone is asking the question. I don't know if this might help you.

I am looking for a (small portable) device that would provide feedback when I sing to let me know if my voice is actually matching the note on the piano or the note sung by another singer. I know that there are computer programs to teach voice and pitch matching but I am more interested in something portable that I can put on my piano and carry around with me when I sing in a choir or solo to piano accompaniment. Does such a thing exist, and if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Yes, such a gizmo does exist to help you sing on pitch. The good news is that it is both portable and relatively inexpensive. The device you want is the MetroTune (MT9000). It only costs $34.95.

I've had good luck improving my voice using the suggestions from this eHow site.

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_3196_lear … ssons.html

I also find it useful to record myself and hear what other people hear in the playback.  It's cringingly difficult to hear, but over time you'll hear the improvement.  I still don't sing well, but I can say with confidence that I sing a lot better than I did two or three years ago. 

Finally, see the comment from Mekidsmom in my signature block.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

18 (edited by cj-5 2013-03-28 01:02:28)

Some really good advice guys. I'm going to keep at it till I find what works. More than likely I'll be trying them all. My women doesn't really like the Brandy trick though. I tried it last night!....I was singing though!!!!:lol:

I'm going to look into that Metrotune (MT9000)

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks to everyone, So thank you all!

Don't forget, your voice is a musical  instrument. Practice with it often and it becomes easy to use ................................................ leave it alone and it gets rusty.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank you for the kind words on my voice.  Someone said something about putting plugs in your ears to hear yourself better.  I was thinking that myself, although it will also likely make you sing much quieter plus not hear the guitar as well and possibly sing more off key.  A good suggestion for getting better at singing is actually recording yourself.  When you do, you learn to hear what YOU really sound like and also can hear where you are off pitch to work on correcting it.  I don't know if that'll work for you or make things worse.  If you're not feeling great about your singing to begin with it can be really disheartening to hear yourself off pitch.

I like Jeff's suggestions the best, and I've enjoyed listening to him on Skype Jams (seriously, Jeff is not a great singer BUT he sings for the love of the music and THAT makes him enjoyable to listen to!!!)!  Play louder, and sing because you enjoy it... not because you want to be great.  Honestly, when I really REALLY belt it out, it's because I'm enjoying it... and it has nothing to do with trying to sound good.  So just do it for the love of music; for yourself.  Who cares what other people think unless you're trying to play in public.  Just enjoy the music in your soul!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Actually ear plugs help you hear your head voice more vs. external sounds, not less. That's why singers sometimes plug their ears with their fingers when they are on stage. Case study: http://www.vocalist.org.uk/singing-with … -loss.html

Just as zurf mentioned, I also read that recording your voice and guitar playing is a great way to hear how others hear you.  If you are off a bit then you will hear it and can practice getting it better.  It has really helped me a lot.

bensonp wrote:

If all else fails, drink a lot of alcohol before you sing and you will sound great.

Which genius here gave me my all time favorite quote?

"The more you drink, the better I sound?"

Anyway, I firmly believe that singing is 99% confidence, and 1% talent.  Sing it like you mean it, and people will listen.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
bensonp wrote:

Which genius here gave me my all time favorite quote?

"The more you drink, the better I sound?"

Anyway, I firmly believe that singing is 99% confidence, and 1% talent.  Sing it like you mean it, and people will listen.

I believe that was Amy or Zurf.  At any rate, Sing out like nobody's listening.

You people are very inspiring. After reading this post it makes me want to Play and sing. But that's not unusual. My women told me one day that she notices every time I get off Chordie, no matter the time of day, I go straight to my Guitars. I didn't realize it but she's RIGHT! That, in and of itself, places a huge value on this site, for me anyway. I can attest to the fact that my guitar playing has improved loads since I first joined this site. My bride says shes also noticed the huge improvement. You bunch of inspiring people you!!!!!!! See what you've done! Now if I can just get my voice to catch up!

THANK-YOU!