Topic: Newbie here

Just found the chordie site. Nice! I've been playing badly for 47 years and enjoying every mile of the journey. 65 years young, 2 heart attacks, quadruple bypass, and a pacemaker.  But that won't keep me from making musick. My wife and I do a praise and worship service once a week at a retirement home and play birthday parties and other events, all at nursing homes. There's no pay involved except for the genuine satisfaction of creating smiles on seasoned citizens. Would like to hear from other players who are 50+ years old and what type of music they play.
I hope to be around for a while here.....
Russell

Re: Newbie here

Welcome! you should repost this in the chat corner under general.  There are a lot of players here you will fit in with.  youn to forever young. We all love this site and if you attend and join in the discussions you will get the feeling of family that we have here.  Im 45 and still one of the 3 hard rockers here, but play a lot of stuff.    You will see in the chat sessions post about skype. this is a great way for everyone to share our favorite songs together.  I played my 12string with a hint of distortion this past session.  I just gatta get the rock out LOLOL.  anyway, Welcome to the best site in the web.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Been playing for 6 months 3 guitars luv them all my newest pet is a dobro I flat pick it love its Stevie nicks voice.  I m 51 and have found my new love. I like most music except crap I meen rap

Let no talents go unused

52 years old. Been playing for 31 years. It`s an outlet. My escape from the outside world . Like everything except rap.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Welcome aboard Russell.  I'm 63 so we're not too far apart you old fart. (Just had to get that dig in for someone older than me. lol)  I played covers for many years but decided a few years back that I felt like an artist that was only copying other painter's pictures so I began writing my own songs and that's what I now play 95% of the time.  Growing up in Appalachia and being influenced by the music, geography and history of the local hills and small farms, I guess you could describe my style of music as folk/mountain/bluegrass, or at least influenced by those genres.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.  I've been blessed with a pretty healthy body although arthritis now affects many of my activities such as guitar pickin'.  Its nice that you share your music and bring a little joy to the elderly in the retirement home.  I'm looking forward to hearing your views on some of the subjects that get bantered around on this site.

DE (Ken Willis)

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

DE, aside form the types of you music you described for your self, them newest tag for it is Americana.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Welcome aboard, Russell ...

I also just joined at the start of the year, and have really enjoyed the considerable level of "humble expertise" from the members of Chordie. Have gotten great advice here for making several choices, and there have been some enjoyable discussions on a whole variety of things.

beamer wrote:

DE, aside form the types of you music you described for your self, them newest tag for it is Americana.

I'm guessing that the term "Americana" has been around at least 15 years or more and you're probably right in using that description beamer. as I've had other folks also describe my music style as "Americana". When recording my songs I try to stay away from slick productions and digital enhancements, just using a minimalist approach  - what I refer to a my "creek bank" style.

From your posts you seem to be at the metal or heavy rock end of the spectrum.  Do you write/record any songs?  I have a good friend in Michigan who is still a rocker in his late 50's and writes/records songs and occasionally sends me a copy.  His lyrics are based in the tradition of urban coffee house poetry and sometimes leave me scratching my head as to what he is trying to say.  My lyrics tend to follow the Appalachian story-telling tradition and probably seem too simple to him.  Its all good - just different strokes, etc .......

DE

Dirty Ed wrote:
beamer wrote:

I'm guessing that the term "Americana" has been around at least 15 years or more and you're probably right in using that description beamer. as I've had other folks also describe my music style as "Americana". When recording my songs I try to stay away from slick productions and digital enhancements, just using a minimalist approach  - what I refer to a my "creek bank" style.

From your posts you seem to be at the metal or heavy rock end of the spectrum.  Do you write/record any songs?  I have a good friend in Michigan who is still a rocker in his late 50's and writes/records songs and occasionally sends me a copy.  His lyrics are based in the tradition of urban coffee house poetry and sometimes leave me scratching my head as to what he is trying to say.  My lyrics tend to follow the Appalachian story-telling tradition and probably seem too simple to him.  Its all good - just different strokes, etc .......

DE

DE Check your mail box

This is a great site for advice and camaraderie. I like most music except rap and angry rock. Favourite group is probably the Rolling Stones. Neil Young has been here for a couple of shows and still has a lot of fans. I am 76 years old and I am not old I just look old. I like that saying " Old age is a high price to pay for maturity."

Great to hear from you guys. I guess I forgot to mention my kind of music. ANYTHING but RAP. I mostly enjoy country, country rock (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) and Southern/Country Gospel. But I enjoy listening to classical and jazz guitar too. I guess Tony Rice is my favorite flat picker. Could listen (and sometimes do) for hours. I can handle 15 minutes of straight Bluegrass then have to change channels for a few breaths. LOL. I do admire  those quick pickers.

Russell

floydlong wrote:

Great to hear from you guys. I guess I forgot to mention my kind of music. ANYTHING but RAP. I mostly enjoy country, country rock (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) and Southern/Country Gospel. But I enjoy listening to classical and jazz guitar too. I guess Tony Rice is my favorite flat picker. Could listen (and sometimes do) for hours. I can handle 15 minutes of straight Bluegrass then have to change channels for a few breaths. LOL. I do admire  those quick pickers.

Russell

I tuned in bluegrass on all my radio stations and then broke off the knobs so the channels couldn't be changed.  LOL

DE

Totally agree that Tony Rice is a flat-picker of the highest order. Some of the work he did with Dave Grisman back in the late-70's / early-80's really showcased his versatility, stepping outside of his normal bluegrass place and into the world of jazz fusion.

Hi all,  I'll be 63 this year and have been playing since my teens. Cut my guitar teeth on Gospel and Bluegrass, but got influenced greatly by the Beatles. Now I play just about anything and enjoy it. I've gotten some of my greatest joy in teaching my son-in-law and my grandson to play. We have a great time jamming. Right now I have a Takamine, an American Strat, and an off brand from the 60's (my first electric) that I still play. I recently bought a Ukelele and it is really a fun instrument to play - adds a nice dymanic to a jam session. I continue to try to play the fiddle but with very limited success. Playing the guitar has been a great release for me over the years and I look forward to plating for many more.

Glad to meet you Russell. Wow, two Russells.  That can't be good.  I'm 62, been playing off and on  (mostly off) for many years. Guitar has turned into a wondereful hobby since I retired and can give it more of my time. Come back often and talk with us.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Chordie has been the first place I go to 'research' a potential new song. (That actually means I'm trying to figure out if I might have the ability to take a fair shot at playing it : )  I've bookmarked it on every 'puter I've had since first coming here. It is my foremost music resource.  Thank you!

Welcome to the forum Ken!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

18 (edited by jgreen 2013-05-02 06:11:08)

Greetings to the new crew!
This IS a great place - Just in this thread alone we see some pretty accomplished musicians and on the other side, the likes of me -- gettin' pretty comfy in the key o' C...
Get on a Skype session ASAP... they are a blast and a more supportive group of friends you'll be hard pressed to find.

I had a "closet" guitar for 30 years (I'm 56) but about the time I found this place it came out for good - and accumulated a couple friends.  6 guitars isn't really a lot if you keep moving them around so they're hard to count wink

Like most others, I like all kinds of music -- and yeah rap isn't on my fav list but I did listen to a couple songs(?) and found they had some good messages.  Too bad it's so tough to process.

Anyways... welcome and please "publish" your songbook.  It's cool to see what others are working on.
Cheers!
Jim

Hmm I see mine could use an update... http://www.chordie.com/songbook.php?sel … edid=79473

hi floyd,

i'm 61 at the moment, hoping to make 62 in july.

i've been playing? guitar since i was 15. played in cabaret bands from age 20, then heavy metal, then in a country duo, and finally, when elvis died, a solo. i'm still working the local pubs and clubs and my set is mainly covers of 50's and 60's pop songs, old rock and roll, and soppy ballads. oh and i intend to go on for a few more years too, so...go get `em floyd

my personal listening favourites are: yes, the beatles, genesis, jethro tull dire straits, thin lizzy and supertramp. so a bit of a rocker, really

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.