Topic: Restrung

I just restrung my first guitar what a chore  but it sounds so much better even with my untrained ear:)

Let no talents go unused

Re: Restrung

good for you.  did you tube provide the instruction?  Ill say that guitars with all keys in a row are easier than a les paul type, but it gets easyier with each time.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Was it a Fender by chance. Every one I have restrung has been a pain. Even the acoustics with a pin bridge.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

4 (edited by Sagor77885 2013-04-13 14:35:47)

I have restrung has been a pain.

integrated management system

I used to tend to put off restringing my guitar, but if you do it frequently it gets much easier.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Did you reset intonation too?

Fire art  wrote:

I just restrung my first guitar what a chore  but it sounds so much better even with my untrained ear:)

It will get too be easy after you do it several times,Imagine doing it too a twelve string!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Working part time in a music shop, I regularly change guitar strings (cleaning, fretboard reconditioning, truss rod and intonation adjustments included) so whether it be 6 or 12 strings I am happy. However I do find nylon string guitars a little tedious because of the neat, string locking way we secure strings at the bridge but my pet hate is a guitar with a Floyd Rose system, they are a nightmare. I want to charge at least double each time I see one. Break one string ast a gig and, unless you have a spare guitar and a roady, you are in real trouble.

OK, moan over, smile and be happy smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

9 (edited by beamer 2013-04-02 14:46:38)

I loved my floyd rose II.  Once tuned it just stayed that way. all it took was a tweak of the fine tuners.  But your right about breaking a string.  I never played hard enough to make it a problem.  my buddies all had at least one spare guitar set up ready to go. lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have got a Floyd Rose bridge and it drove me nuts for a start but after a lot of research I got the hang of it. If the strings are changed to a heavier gauge, the springs need to be adjusted behind the cover on the back otherwise the extra tension will lift the bridge and raise the action, it's a balancing act but when tuned they stay tuned. I also change one string at a time. Apart from that you're right, they are not easy to set up.

Restringing takes a bit of practice, but it's almost as good as getting a new guitar for the improvement in sound one gets. The bottom "E" string is the first to start deadening, and when they're new they have that lively bright ring to them.

The problem with Elixer polywebs is ya have to wait so long to experience the joy of restringing. All kidding aside, I do enjoy string changing. It gives me a chance to clean my guitars and check for any issues that may need to be dealt with.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

There's a good video on YouTube, from Martyn guitars. I watched the video and have been re-stringing the Martyn way ever since.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.