Topic: Strumming Questions

I have run across a paper showing several songs with strumming patterns, But whoever authored this, added something I can't for the life of me figure out what he/she intended. The following is an example:

Blowing in the wind: B DUDU, B D UDU or DDUUDU

Long December: B B D U or BB D DU

Me and Bobby McGee: B D UDU

These are just a few. There's more but they have the same patterns as these.

My question; What does the "B" stand for in the strumming patterns shown above? I can not find the meaning of it anywhere. Not that I'm all that experienced, but I've never even seen it before. Does anyone know what it means and/or how it is used in the strumming pattern? It's probably something really simple and will make me feel the fool when I find out but I'm at wits end over this. And really, it's not that it matters that much,,, I'm just now on a mission to find out.

HELP!!!

Re: Strumming Questions

B-ass

He's telling you to pick the bass note of the chord.   Good old Countrified Boom-chuck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wow, I play that way all the time. I guess I Just couldn't put it together when looking at it on paper. It's hell getting old. Thanks. I knew it was going to be something simple stupid.

cj-5 wrote:

Wow, I play that way all the time. I guess I Just couldn't put it together when looking at it on paper. It's hell getting old. Thanks. I knew it was going to be something simple stupid.

Thank you for asking the question--I was perplexed by the "B" thing, too, and I bet there are a lot of other people who have gained from your question and the answer.

No such thing as a silly question ... we don't learn unless we ask.