Topic: GC Visit # 350: A Beautiful Sunday

The reason for my visit was general GAS and the listing of a used Martin D-15M @ $949. Played said guitar and it was delightful. The previous owner had buffed it to a semi-gloss finish with some sort of polishing compound, evident by residue at the neck joint. I am generally not fan of gloss finishes especially on mahogany-top guitars but this finish was a nice touch and it would inhibit the development of the usual stain on the top of these dark, satin guitars. As expected this specimen was resonant and lively eager to play as soft or loud as one would like. It was evident someone had sanded the saddle, and although, perfectly playable (wonderful actually) the saddle on the b and e string appeared to be low. Again it played perfectly. There were a few minor character marks on the guitar, certainly nothing to stop me from purchasing it. I prefer to buy used and am not looking for a perfect sterile specimen. I really liked this guitar and the finish looked surprisingly good.

Next up was a new Seagull S-6 just for comparison and the fact this is one of my favorite affordable guitars. I was not disappointed. At $419, this guitar rivals many more expensive models to include the D-15. With the cedar top and cherry b/s it sounded crisp but also "wetter" than the D-15. Not bad, just different. I've yet to find an S-6 I didn't like. However, there is considerable used market for these and they can be found for less than $300 used. Because of this I would not normally buy one of these new.

The Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo is always a joy. The shapely body is both more attractive than a dreadnought and more comfortable to play while sitting, which is how I play. Unfortunately this guitar was out of tune so I moved on to its sister, the Entourage dreadnought. Also a delight to play and very similar to the S-6. For me it would be a toss up between the two. I realize the Entourage's sunburst top is probably hiding a piece of wood not suitable for the S-6's natural finish but the sound is very similar. The MJ was $379 and the Entourage dreadnought was $359. Bargains both of them and not quite as popular or easy to find on the used market. I might buy one of these new but I would probably look for a used one for economy.

Here's they are racked and stacked according to playability and sound.
Martin D-15M (always nice)
Seagull S-6 (Second place, but not by much. If the budget variable were included this guitar would eclipse the Martin.)
Seagull Entourage Dreadnought (very close to the S-6 but I already own one sunburst guitar.)
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo (being out of tune moved this one to the bottom.)

A note on tuning. I cannot quickly, easily, or accurately tune by ear so unless there is an electronic tuner readily available I do not persist with any guitar which is not in tune. And for a Sunday this GC was a ghost town to include the sales people so i took advantage of my solo quiet time in the acoustic room. This is a rare pleasure in the se big stores especially on a weekend.

Re: GC Visit # 350: A Beautiful Sunday

Used D-15M for $949 doesn't sound like a bargain to me.  I've negotiated new ones down to the $899 range but couldn't get satisfied enough with the set costs for electronics to pull the trigger.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,
I concur with your pricing assessment. I would not pay that for a used D-15M. It did provide a good excuse to visit GC and get my hands on a used specimen. I've sampled many new ones. I'm not sure I want a dread anyway. But it did play nicely and sounded heavenly.
Dj

I like your choice's and yes you can get them too come down on the pricing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

What a great way to spend some time on a Sunday. Someday I'm gonna have me one of them S6's. Love the sound and playability of the Seagull.

We anxiously await your NGD post DJ!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

naolslager wrote:

A note on tuning. I cannot quickly, easily, or accurately tune by ear so unless there is an electronic tuner readily available I do not persist with any guitar which is not in tune.

There's an app for that.

Seriously, if you have a smart phone, search your app store for guitar tuners.  I have a free one on mine which only plays the notes so that you can tune against them (so you do have to tune by ear).  But I believe there are ones you can buy for fairly cheap which turn your phone into a digital tuner.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Nao, to me there is one advantage to buying a good used guitar. If you buy a solid wood guitar as most people know, the more you play it the better it will sound. The aging process makes them just sound better and the more you play the better it will get. Hopefully when you find one it has been played a lot, not abused and some of that aging process has been done for you. Now once you get it ,it's already sounding a little better and you carry on the process. That's just my opinion.

Joe

Astronomikal wrote:
naolslager wrote:

A note on tuning. I cannot quickly, easily, or accurately tune by ear so unless there is an electronic tuner readily available I do not persist with any guitar which is not in tune.

There's an app for that.

Seriously, if you have a smart phone, search your app store for guitar tuners.  I have a free one on mine which only plays the notes so that you can tune against them (so you do have to tune by ear).  But I believe there are ones you can buy for fairly cheap which turn your phone into a digital tuner.

gStrings is a free app that turns your phone into a digital tuner.  It's quite accurate as well.

Naoslager - sounds like a nice way to spend some time on a Sunday.  I enjoy going in and just playing, even if I'm not thinking of purchasing any time soon.  Have you tried Martin's 000-M yet?  I love mine.  While it will never be as full as a Dread, it's got quite a voice.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Mekidsmom,
Yes, I have played the 000. It is my favorite. The dread sounds good but I find the look somewhat bland and unappealing.
Dj

The 000-15M is my favorite too.  However, at this point I think I'm going to keep working on scales and soloing over scales and arpeggios and sometime in the distant future when it begins to sound half as good as Detman101 or Normtheguitar or wlbaye, then I will treat myself instead to an acoustic archtop The Loar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

naolslager,
I am agreed with you. naolslager done the wrong............