Topic: Taking guitar on (European) hols...

More of a question for the Brits on here, but any input is welcome. I am thinking of taking my guitar off to Spain with me (probably Costa Del Sol - which I know quite well), just for a holiday, really, but thought I might tout my musical services around the many British bars in the area & see if any of them might employ me! Just for fun, really - if there is no work to be had, then at least I can just relax in the sun. Any tips for finding this sort of work also much appreciated!
I know that the low-cost airlines here tend to charge heavily for extra baggage - so which airlines are more co-operative in this regard? I have also thought of taking the coach to Spain, but this is probably quite hellish!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Taking guitar on (European) hols...

Now if you were coming to the Algarve I could perhaps help more but I have little knowledge of Spain.

The only suggestion I can think of is to make a CD of a few numbers that you can hand out to the bar owners so they know what you do. I went with my friend Joaó to do this before he moved to the UK and he had some success with it.

Rog

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

When I fly with a guitar, I take it as carry on then check it at the gate.  I have a hard shell case.  Without a hard shell case, I'd get a hard shell case, and then proceed. 

Good luck with getting work while on vacation. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That sounds like a fun experience.  I'll bet you get some bites from the local bars.  Let us know how it turns out.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Loosen the strings. The altitude can make 'em snap. I usually also pack the hard shell case with my clean undies and socks for the trip, just to make sure that little fella can't move around too much during transport.

Good news is - I have a hard case! 
Roger - I was thinking of the Costa Del Sol because there are so many "British" bars in a small-ish area. Quite a hellish place, really, but the more bars, the better for me, possibly! I didn't really think that the Algarve was like that - are there some really touristy areas? Anyway, will have a go at recording some stuff and see how it sounds...
Thanks for the tips so far - keep 'em coming!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Also (Roger) - I really must get to meet Joao one of these days! He lives locally, and has had a few gigs in Hastings, but I've never been able to get to one yet. He has one coming up soon, so will make the effort this time!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Joaó is a great guy, the first Portuguese that I got to know real well. We share a passion for music we did a few gigs together and even with the distance between us I consider him to to be one of my most trusted friends. Do go and see him and make sure that you introduce yourself to him.

Roger

By the way Portugal, well the Algarve really, relies so much on tourism that language is not a problem, the majority speak English. I decided to move here sooner than Spain because a/ the people are very friendlier than the Spanish and b/ English is generally spoken here.

Good luck too you norm. I see spain has about a 27% unemployment record right now. That could work in your favor or aganst it. I havenever been there but I know people who have and they say the beaches are great.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

hi norm, been to benidorm lots of times also fuengirola, of the two benidorm would be best i think. one thing i have noticed is that the music bars all have mini disk players, so backing tracks are best on MD's.

i cant see the ryanairs or easyjets allowing a guitar as carry-on, it would have to go in the hold!

have you thought of going by boat? no problem there with baggage i wouldnt think.

if you just want to sit in a corner to strum and sing, you'd need to ask the owners first, but as long as they haven't got anything on and you dont want to be paid by them, you should be on a winner. they may give you a few free drinks... cool

let us know how you get on.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

11 (edited by gtx 2013-04-30 09:33:59)

I have just come back from Fuerteventura. I took my mates Baby Taylor, I also took it there in December, both times as hand luggage. This was the only hand luggage I was allowed, and it is only a small travel guitar. Both times on a Thomas Cook package holiday flight. The Newcastle baggage check hummed and hahed both times but I had already cecked it out with their head office as to be ok. The Spanish side no problem at all. And it had to be in a soft case for the flight. I would always worry about taking a good full size guitar away even in a hard case when I see the cases flying round on the baggage carousel.

the chordie geordie

Gtx - how big is a Baby Taylor? Is it 3/4 size? I only have dreadnaughts, so no chance of being allowed to carry on, I would think. I have a good hard case, so wouldn't mind it being hold baggage, as long as I'm not charged a silly amount for it!
Roger - what are the most popular places (Brit-wise) on the Algarve? In other words, Portugal's version of Benidorm!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Baby Taylor is 3/4 size.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/ac … aby-taylor

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

you could always do a clapton. i believe he buys an extra seat in 1st class for his guitar. oh to be rich?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Albufeira and Quarteira are probably the most popular holiday destinations. Many people (well the ones with oodles of cash) go to places like Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago that have golf courses and are more expensive, but these places are more like large holiday resorts. They are not too far away that you cannot get gigs at the restaurents and bars though. If you get chance, talk to Joaó about it as he regularly had gigs in this part of the Algarve.

Roger

Just as Zurf says 3/4 size. Its a nice little guitar. Just bought an EN-20 Takamine Jumbo, if I take that wor lass will have to stay at home.

the chordie geordie

Paul, I have just had a chat with Joáo. If you want to go to his gig at Netherfield on the 18th and introduce yourself to him he will talk to you about it and he has done work in Spain too. Or message him via FaceBook.

Roger

Thanks Roger - will certainly try to get to the gig!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Great idea Roger Guppy.
I also think this gonna help.