Re: Monkees and The Eagles

tonywild2001 wrote:

Hi, First post.   The Monkees were one of the most subversive bands of the 60's.
Check the lyrics to Pleasant Vally Sunday or Last Train To Clarksville. (Clarksville being the station closest to the airfield from where the soldiers flew to Vietnam)

Subversive????. I remember watching that "subversion" on Saturday morning when I was small.( The 60s). Along with other cartoons.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

You could argue that Mike Nesmith has had as big an influence on music as almost anyone, because of his involvment with MTV.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

SUBVERSIVE? the songs were not written by the Monkees and probably not even chosen by them, "pleasant valley sunday" is a carole king/gerry goffin song and "claksville" is a boyce/hart song with boyce on guitar. if anything, it's the writers that would be "subversive"

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I agree with Phil. In 1968, the Monkees were NOT considered "subversive", they were called "bubble-gum".

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"