Topic: tascam

i spoke to russ a while ago about tascam DP24, well russ has had his and (as far as i know) is very happy with it. so a month ago i found an internet company that was selling them at £100 cheaper than most others i found. so i bought one. ordered over the net and paid for etc. that was a month ago, and i'm still waiting for the recorder. i've tracked it down, seeing as i'm in south wales (uk) the first notice i got was from new york us! it was there for 3 days now it's in dubai uae, where it's been for another 2 days. i'm wondering if it will go to hong kong before i (eventually) get it. hope it's before christmas......

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: tascam

That is insane having to wait a month for delivery they should have air freighted it to you for what you had to pay sorry to hear about what your going through hopefully you will get it soon smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I've seen them below $500 the last couple of weeks, which is where I was looking for my price point.    But since I detached my TASCAM US-800 from my desktop and threw it in my laptop bag, I've now got the multiple input portable studio I wanted all along.

But I still want the DP-24, just because it's so damn cool.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

the more I work with it I have to agree its cool lots of nice features and easy to get used to no big learning curve involved which reminds me I still have some tracks to lay I have seven finished and I will use at least 14 when I finish  then mix it and master it to two stereo tracks tomorrow looks like a good day to get back into it I had a sore throat for a few days and it put a damper on my project but I feel much better and my voice has returned smile

jerome, when i spoke to russ about it he said they were a lot cheaper in the states, but i cant afford to move there at the moment, so i'm playing the waiting game. last i heard was that it's now left (i hope) dubai and it's en route if not here in the UK, so hopefully delivery tomorrow, then i'll be very quiet for some time....

what site did you see them below $500 ?

jerome.oneil wrote:

I've seen them below $500 the last couple of weeks, which is where I was looking for my price point.    But since I detached my TASCAM US-800 from my desktop and threw it in my laptop bag, I've now got the multiple input portable studio I wanted all along.

But I still want the DP-24, just because it's so damn cool.

I found one to Jerome sweetwater 479.00 and free shipping this must have just happened

i've just had confirmation that my DP24 is in this country, it arrived an hour ago. the web site says it's a priority delivery? maybe tomorrow, as the littlest hobo used to say

Glory be about time!  lol

Phill Williams wrote:

i've just had confirmation that my DP24 is in this country, it arrived an hour ago. the web site says it's a priority delivery? maybe tomorrow, as the littlest hobo used to say

Russell_Harding wrote:

I found one to Jerome sweetwater 479.00 and free shipping this must have just happened

That's where I found it.  smile

I'm going to play with my new laptop kit for a bit (Macbook Pro + TASCAM US-800 + Reaper + Reason) and see how well it works.   We did some quick microphone comparisons on Sunday with it and those worked out pretty well.

my DP24 arrived in the UK at almost 8 PM Tuesday night, 12 hours later it was delivered to my door, so I'm chuffed. it looks totally fabulous, a bit bigger than I thought it would be, still.....I spent yesterday reading the manual, so I haven't set it up yet. I have to find space, so my PC has to move and I have to finish off 2 tracks on my Korg D8, then away to go.

Just as an aside; it came with a US plug, luckily I have a plug lead that fits. it's also 100 volt to 240 volt transformer, I know that the US is 120 volt whereas the UK and Europe is 220-240 volt.

something I cant understand is; how am I sitting here writing when I could be playing with my new toy?  bye

I sent you an email I have time later today to video chat on gmail I can use my HD cam to show you my DP and what to do to get you recording right away it is an awesome machine not only in looks but man o man all the nice goodies lol

oooohhh yeah, i've set it up and made a trial recording. then i thought i'd try to record a song that i've been trying to get right for a couple of years "you got it" by roy orbison, and it's come out super.

it's a bit complicated at first, but once you get into it it's fine. i recommend it to any one, well not everyone...

Phill I hope I didn't confuse you to much with my directions it sounds like you got off to a good start smile

no, buddy bach, your directions were fine.

sorry i missed you yesterday, i tried to download the talk app, which just confused my tired mind. shall we try again tonight?

phill

it's so difficult juggling between my PC and my Dp24. as has been stated above; it is a fantastic machine and i recommend anyone who is into recording to buy one if they can afford one.

one thing i have noticed is that there is a full bevvy of editing, mixdown and mastering tools. and using them has shown me something i never noticed before; i seem to mix each track as i record it, so that when i come to mastering the volumes for each track are in a line! so sliding the vocal or solo track up or down is all i need to do.

i'm putting this down to when all i had was a sound on sound tape deck where you had to keep your volumes down to fit the mix.

has anyone else noticed any strange habits to do with recording?

Phill I don't know if its strange but I put a strip of white tape and label each track and all future recordings are recorded in the same order if I do add a mandolin or harmonica that will be at the end the tape is easy to peel off and any adhesive cleans up nicely with a mild dish soap I also keep my DP covered with a towel when not in use to protect it from dust the same with my keyboards and Laptop smile

hi russ, yep i do the same, track 1&2 are acoustics, track 3 bass, 4 is lead, then 13 up are keyboards and drums. i've also been cloning the lead vocal to fatten up the sound.

i find it's easier to keep track if you keep the same order. i use the plastic bag that came with the dp, i wouldn't use a towel as it could hold moisture.

I purchased a Tascam US-122 interface does anybody know about this machine and what is the best free recording software that could be used with this interface I am new to this type of recording so just trying to get answers thanks

Larry I took a look at your interface to do any recording with it you are going to need a software program the easiest and quickest to learn is the free software program Audacity from SourceForge once you download it and open the program you will have to open the edit tab and at the bottom of the drop down list is preferences click on that and find input and choose usb ,normally you can just connect a 1/8" mini jack from the blue utilities output in the back of your pc (if its a desktop) it its a laptop plug into your mic input smile

larrygilliland wrote:

I purchased a Tascam US-122 interface does anybody know about this machine and what is the best free recording software that could be used with this interface I am new to this type of recording so just trying to get answers thanks

Russel is correct Audacity is the easiest to use, but you can also downlioad Reaper.  Its on the level of protools.  you get the whole prog free no lock out features.  look them up also.  (its just a steeper learning climb)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

larrygilliland wrote:

I use it's big brother, the US-800.  It is a great device and I've had good results with it. 

The two advocacy groups here for recording are Audacity and Reaper.  Audacity is a fairly simple application but you will be able to start quickly as the learning curve isn't that steep.   Reaper is a full blown mixing desk with all the features and functionality that you would expect to find in a professional studio.   The drawback is that it takes a little bit more hiking up the learning curve in order to become proficient with it.

Since they both cost exactly nothing, you can download them both, experiment, and decide what works best for you.