1 (edited by rotoiti 2013-05-15 05:05:23)

Topic: Acoustic Amps

Does anyone own the new Ibanez T80n acoustic amp. This amp has one 10" speaker and the previous T80 had two 8" speakers. I would like to know your opinion on how it performs, sound quality etc. and whether 80 watts is to much for home and small groups. I had an old model TA35 which had great sound with acoustic and also had a good clean sound with the electric but I found it was too big to carry around. Thanks

Re: Acoustic Amps

I don't know own any of the Ibanez acoustic amps, but I would think that it would have at least two speakers (high / low frequencies). I have the Marshall AS 100D, and I love it. If it' a small amp you're looking for, Genz-Benz makes an awesome small amp..

Well I have got it, so I must be the first Chordie member to buy the Ibanez T80n. So far not very happy with the sound, not as good as the old Ibanez TA35, but still working on it. So being old is not always a bad thing. It sounds too thin and trebley, hasn't got that nice warm sound that I want. Can anyone give me any coaching on settings please.The guitar has Presence, Treble, Middle and Bass and the amp has Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Reverb, Chorus and Master Volume. The guitar strings are D'Addario extra light 10-47's phosphor bronze. Thanks in advance for any help.

New battery and heavier strings?

Thanks, I didn't think of the battery. In fact I didn't know the battery had an affect on the sound. We learn every day don't we?

Extra light strings sound tinny to me. Ok for electrivs, but for acoustic, I prefer as fat of a string as your fingers can stand.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Per usual, I agree with Zurf.

Battery runs guitars EQ and Tuner. low bat, = fuzzy EQ.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

and signal loss right?

I'll also voice support for a heavier string. I personally prefer Elixir NanoWeb Lights (12-53) for Acoustic, and the lighter 10-46 gauge for electric only. I don't own an acoustic guitar amp, but tried the smaller version of Gytrpykr's amp (Marshall AS50D) and liked the sound of it very much. VOX and Fender also make nice acoustic amps, but I have no experience with the Ibanez you mention. I absolutely LOVE an acoustic bass of theirs I tried (EWB20).

Well everything is looking much better today, I think I had "Buyer's Remorse". It explains it in Google and I had all the symptoms. I justified it by thinking I'm only coming this way once and at 76 there is less time in front of me than behind me. I put a new battery in and that made a big difference. I'm going to change the strings to 12-53's and that will put an extra 28 lbs of tension on the neck so should the truss rod be tightened?
Thanks for the help.

12 (edited by Baldguitardude 2013-06-20 14:33:42)

76??? You seem so much younger. smile

I have a rule of never playing with my truss rod without the help of a tech, so I can't give much input on that, but I will tell you that drop tuning to Eb is magic for string tension and playability. All my guitars are tuned down except the one I leave in open G and the one I use when I need to read charts.

13 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-06-20 19:31:56)

Roto ... that's a great attitude to have about "going this way once". In Robert Travers' 1964 book "The Anatomy of a Fisherman", he mentions that exact sentiment in a list of reasons why he fishes. We're only going this way once ... why waste the trip?

And it just hit me: here we have you from New Zealand, BGD from Las Vegas, and me in Eastern Canada, having a conversation about our passion for getting "that right sound" from our guitar. Talk about a global village!

Just brought in an Acoustic AG-15 amp it's the best. Pushing a Fender CD60cesb & Johnson JG-50 throught it. The Fender sounds terrific and the Johnson has a nice hybrid electric sound with some quack. The fact that it has a MP3 jack along with headphone & line out makes it perfect for the young troubador or olde player like myself. If ya get a chance give it a whirl.

Just got the roland ac-33 and love it!  the built in looper is a boredom buster and a 'desert island' item for sure

Tune by ear with this free [url=http://www.123guitartuner.com]Guitar Tuner[/url] and ear tickler!

Hi All:  new guy here just sticking my nose into your conversation  smile   i have had no dealings with that Ibanez amp--i run a Crate CA30 that ive had for years, & if i used the UST on my Guild, i would usually set the 'low' at about 3/4, set the 'mid' all the way up, & the 'hi' between 1/4 to 1/2.  the 'contour' i would have to fiddle with & a touch of reverb would bring out a little more depth.
also for awhile because of hand problems, i had to go from 12.5 to .11's .  when my strength began returning i went back to .12's & in either case never found it necessary to touch the truss rod.  the slightly heavier strings did also help the tone a bit also.  so there you have it.  my experience  smile

17 (edited by gtx 2013-12-28 19:10:26)

I to have a Roland ac 33 and love it. The batteries when not plugged into the mains last for ages. My tak en20 sounds great through it and I have yet to master the looper.

the chordie geordie