Topic: Fender Stratacoustic Guitar ?

I been thinking about buying a Fender Stratacoustic Guitar.  Do any of you own one ?  Is it worth the money ?  Are there any problems with it ?

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

Re: Fender Stratacoustic Guitar ?

hi jim,

i bought my strat during the 70's, it's a mexican. truly easy guitar to play as the neck is not too wide or flat like a gibson. at that time i never used FX pedals so i was never very happy with the sound, till i played through a marshall at full volume!

about 10 years ago with the finger board and frets wearing down somewhat, i grudgingly bought a kort, which i regretted immediately! and a year or so later i bought my telecaster, which i'm delighted with. i just wish it had a tremolo arm..you cant have everything...

but yes, by all means get a strat and be happy, it's like having a stepford wife...lololol

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks for the comment bro, but I'm not talking about a Fender Stratocaster.  I've owned one of those for a long time.  I'm talking about a Fender Stratocoustic which is an acoustic electric guitar.  Any thoughts on this particular model would be appriacated.  Thx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovE0lgREiEU
this video kind of gives you an idea of the pros and cons of this guitar and from what I hear it sounds kind of cheesy without an amp I myself would not purchase it but to each his own I cant speak from experience having never played one but I have played other Fender acoustic guitars and can say honestly they are not worth buying in my opinion but before sinking any cash into this find a music store and play it first.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I am a big Fender fan and I am not averse to a fibreglass body but, and it is a big but, with a only 3" deep body I would want to play it unplugged before I forked out my money. I have no doubt that it will play well and, plugged in, will sound great but with the very shallow body I think that the acoustic sound will not be so good. I hope that I am wrong smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey, Thanks so much Russell for the youtube link.  That really helped me make up my mind.  The action on the strings is a definate downer, way to high for me.  I also agree with with you Roger about the shallow body.  Thank you very much for your comments.

your welcome I agree that having a cutaway is defeating the purpose if the strings are too high to comfortably play them keep looking smile

harleyjim wrote:

Hey, Thanks so much Russell for the youtube link.  That really helped me make up my mind.  The action on the strings is a definate downer, way to high for me.  I also agree with with you Roger about the shallow body.  Thank you very much for your comments.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

sorry, i thought you'd just misspelt stratocaster...at 3 inches deep, i would expect it to sound rather like any narrow body semi acoustic, which wouldn't be anything like an everyday acoustic, lacking tone and volume

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

harleyjim wrote:

I been thinking about buying a Fender Stratacoustic Guitar.  Do any of you own one ?  Is it worth the money ?  Are there any problems with it ?

Don't own one but I tried one out. Sound seemed muted. As mentioned above, the action was high. Nice concept but not very good in practice IMHO.

Harley fender has some other good acoustic guitars out there that play very good,you might want too go too a store and check them out.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Ya, thx dino.  I think I'll check out Guitar Center.  Up till now I've only been checking them out on line.

harleyjim wrote:

Ya, thx dino.  I think I'll check out Guitar Center.  Up till now I've only been checking them out on line.

You are better of going to look at a guitar in person,you can tell if it sounds looks and feels right for you.you might look at some other brands in your price range,there are some awesome guitars out there for not two much money. You can also do some flea market price negoitions with them. I neverhave paid their price.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

13 (edited by christopaul 2013-05-15 21:19:24)

I know a chap who's got the Stratacoustic. I've not heared it plugged in but as an acoustic guitar, it's a waste of time. Not as good a your average small bodied electro acoustic. Each to his own, but definitely not for me.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Thanks dino, I didn't know you could argue price at Guitar Center.  Great tip !  I have three guitars but I'm still always looking LOL.  Oh ya, thank you too christopaul.  I guess I'll just do a lot of shopping yet since I can't afford a Martin if you know what I mean, Ha Ha...........

Harley tell the guys you can get the same model elswhere for a lower price and see what they do! I am saving for a Martin also,I would like too get a D-28.

Thanks dino, sounds like a plan for me.

I tried one out. Also a telecoustic. I wasn`t too impressed.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.