Topic: No-nos on a chord?

Hey Everybody...
  I have some songs that have A(no3) and E(no3) chords in the music. What's the 'no 3' thing about and how do you play these?

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Re: No-nos on a chord?

My first thought is 3rd fret. Give us what songs they are and we'll have a look see.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

The songs I have them on are 'The Blarney Pilgrim-The Kesh Jig' and 'Guilderoy - The Red-Haired Boy'. Both of these songs I got from an Orchestra group I was in, not from Chordie so I'm not sure if you can find them on here.

"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

im thinking its no third.  not the 3rd fret.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

I don't understand...A and E doesn't use 3rd fret. Can you explain a bit more?

beamer wrote:

If this is a theory thing then I'm out!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

It could mean no 3rd i.e. A5 (Ano3 or A no 3rd) or E5 (Eno3 or E no 3rd). Check this chart I found:

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/guitarchords.html

Hope this helps.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I agree with Roger no 3 sounds like no 3rd some songs omit one of the intervals normally a C chord is C E G (135) no third would be C G C this is normally found in folk or Irish music smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Probably what Roger said, but a funny way saying it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Beamer, Roger and Russell are correct.  "no3" means play the chord without the 3rd.  Play the 1 and 5 only.

In other words, it's a power chord.

I know this to be true because I had to research it for myself.  When I first saw it, I thought "A no 3" meant "A chord number 3".  And I thought, "wow, so different variations of chords are designated by numbers?"  So then I went off to look for the fingering for A number 3.  Needless to say I didn't find it.  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Is that the same as A sus ?

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Okay, I think I've gotten it. "They" are power chords. Thanks for your wisdom everybody!!!

Astronomikal wrote:

Beamer, Roger and Russell are correct.  "no3" means play the chord without the 3rd.  Play the 1 and 5 only.

In other words, it's a power chord.

I know this to be true because I had to research it for myself.  When I first saw it, I thought "A no 3" meant "A chord number 3".  And I thought, "wow, so different variations of chords are designated by numbers?"  So then I went off to look for the fingering for A number 3.  Needless to say I didn't find it.  smile

HOLY COW! I WAS CORRECT! I just didnt realize it was also a power chord! LOLOL lol love it.  glad I could help a bit (for once on theory)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

christopaul wrote:

Not quite.

As per above, "no3" means play a power chord (1 and 5 only).

"sus" means to SUSpend the 3 in favor of the 2 (for sus2) or the 4 (for sus4).

Basic chord structures:

Major triad:  1-3-5
Power chord (aka no3):  1-5
sus2:  1-2-5
sus4 (aka "sus"):  1-4-5
Minor triad:  1-b3-5

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
christopaul wrote:

Not quite.

As per above, "no3" means play a power chord (1 and 5 only).

"sus" means to SUSpend the 3 in favor of the 2 (for sus2) or the 4 (for sus4).

Basic chord structures:

Major triad:  1-3-5
Power chord (aka no3):  1-5
sus2:  1-2-5
sus4 (aka "sus"):  1-4-5
Minor triad:  1-b3-5

And for explaination of power chord, its not the 1st and 5th frets, its the notes. AKA a root 5th.  your 1 (being the root note and also played with your index finger) and your 5th (Usually played with 3rd or 4th finger)  an A power chord in the 1st position is
http://www.cyberfret.com/wp-content/upl … string.gif
AND THE COMMON 5TH FRET POSITION
http://purpletigerguitar.com/wp-content … 02/A51.jpg  This pic shows the index on the low e fret 5 and the 3rd finger on fret 7 on the A string. also the pinky on d string 7th fret. you do not have to use the pinky but it makes for a heavier sound.
but that is the jist of it and about all the theory I can handel LOLOLOL

My brain is slowly making sence on this theory stuff but I think I'm getting it... Thanks beamer! smile

I like the theory.  I appreciate music more when I understand the "why" as opposed to only the "what" and "how".

For specific help, I recommend checking out the theory section of the forum:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=21

Or, as I like to think of it, the "Russell-Jerome-Baldguitardude school of Music Theory".  99% of what I know I learned from those guys.

Aww thanks buddy. For all y'all who are curious, here is BGD's "when to play a power chord" top 5 list:
1. Are you playing hard rock or metal? If yes, play a power chord.
2. Are you familiar with the chord?
    If Yes: Play the chord as written, lazy! 
    If No: does the chord have a "b5" or "aug" in it? If "no," play a power chord. If "yes," grab a beer and wink at the blonde in the front row.
3. Is the other guitar player wildly out of tune? If yes, play a power chord.
4. Do you want to hit a chord Townsend windmill style? If yes, play a power chord.

and finally....

5. Are you still having problems with that dang "B" chord? If yes, play a power chord. smile

Baldguitardude wrote:

Aww thanks buddy. For all y'all who are curious, here is BGD's "when to play a power chord" top 5 list:
    If No: does the chord have a "b5" or "aug" in it? If "no," play a power chord. If "yes," grab a beer and wink at the blonde in the front row.
4. Do you want to hit a chord Townsend windmill style? If yes, play a power chord.

and finally....

5. Are you still having problems with that dang "B" chord? If yes, play a power chord. smile

I would say #6  If your song is the same 3 chords, intermix open and power. adds dimension.

you should do a "when to not use a power chord" lol.

Thin instrumentation also calls for bigger chords. I can get away with lots of power chords in a 5 piece, but the three piece I'm in requires greater density.

If it sounds right just using the A and E then don't worry about the extra stuff I guess

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Baldguitardude wrote:

and finally....

That's some funny s*** right there.  True, nonetheless.  Which is why it's funny!