Topic: Touchy Subject But Entertain Me....

Without commenting specifically on any political or spiritual ideology, do you find that your ability to enjoy a band depends upon whether or not their belief system(s) jive with yours? Careful with examples please as we don't want to wander into prohibited topics territory, but I've found that now that I'm an old man, I just can't seem to sing along with tunes any more if I don't agree with the message contained therein. Thought?

Re: Touchy Subject But Entertain Me....

Interesting question BGD and after thinking about it I find that I am much more tolerant of an artist's music (regardless of the message) than I am of an artist openly spewing his politics or actively campaigning and only if they cross that line do I lose my interest in the artist.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

If I like the song and how it sounds, I don`t care what the message is.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Speaking for myself if I don't like the genre I don't listen to the music if I don't like the artist for whatever reason I wont listen and if there on tv I can always change the channel kanye west is an example of me not liking the artist or the genre (double wammy) I have a closed mind on some things which comes in handy.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Like J3 ,  If the beat and voice grab me, I listen.  Its about Adrinilin for me.  Now what I had a problem with once was that 3 out of 4 members of a band formed their own band, had guest singers on some songs, That in itself is not a problem, What the problem was  is that in an extended bridge section, they put their Religious statements in it. (I know im treading the fine line but that is all I will say about it)

Also the "original" tunes went a direction that did not fit with the rest of the songs and were IMHO pretty sappy.  THAT IS WHAT BUGS ME.  Or  bands that were hard rockers and have gotten older,, as we all do,,  but then they start to go in the oppisite direction they have always done.  Trying to all of the sudden to "Attone" for all the supposed transgressions.  That is another topic and ill not bring that up.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Baldguitardude wrote:

Without commenting specifically on any political or spiritual ideology, do you find that your ability to enjoy a band depends upon whether or not their belief system(s) jive with yours? Careful with examples please as we don't want to wander into prohibited topics territory, but I've found that now that I'm an old man, I just can't seem to sing along with tunes any more if I don't agree with the message contained therein. Thought?

good topic bgd myself I try not too pay atten too politics or spiritual things as I may not have much too listen too. They bring out alot of emotion in most of us,I am glad chordie will not allow either too be talked about on the forum.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah, this is an interesting topic.  I guess I'm more like jjj.  There are songs that don't have the best message but if I like the sound of them, I'll sing along.  I guess I look on them as more of a piece of art than something that is trying to brainwash me so I don't get too hung up on it, even though maybe I should.

"Sympathy for the Devil" comes to mind.  I like that song.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I'm with Nom, J3 and Russell.

Message doesn't matter a whole lot. Don't get me wrong, some are just bad. But there are certain genres and artists I just don't like.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting input. I must be getting crotchety. wink

There are a few spiritual songs I don't necessarily believe in but I like the songs so I do them. One comes to mind.  My Sweet Lord by George Harrison.  It's a very moving song and I like it. Never really thought about it I guess.  Or have I? With me, it's all about melody.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

No, with the caveat that if you're going to preach your message in your song, it better be a damn good song.     My favorite examples of this are Neil Young's "Southern Man" and Leonard Skynyard's response, "Sweet Home Alabama."  Both outright awesome, preachy songs.   Am I particularly interested in the two very different messages being promoted here?  Not at all.  But I'll bob my head and sing 'em both.

Generally speaking, I don't even know the words to most of the songs I like.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

for the most part, if I don't like the message, I don't listen to the song.  If the artist is reprehensible (not just unpleasant from time to time or someone who disagrees with me but someone who is truly reprehensible), then I do not partake of his/her art. 

I can't think of any musicians who are reprehensible, but I'll never watch another Roman Polanski film after hearing of his serial rapes of under age girls.  That some of his peers encouraged and assisted this behavior by providing victims and venues to curry his favor is equally reprehensible. 

There are exceptions with music.  Some songs are just so darned good that even if the message is a bit off, I still enjoy the song. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Like most of you, I relate to melody first. It is a chore to memorize lyrics.
As I get older, I am more resistant to propaganda. I retired from paying gigs last year and playing "for fun" does not include any lyrics that are not warm and wonderful.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Huge topic!

In general, if a band/artist holds and promotes ideals which are sharply contrary to my own, I'll just avoid them without condemning another person for liking them. How Canadian is that, eh? Some types of music which I find distasteful are anything blatantly angry, profusely profane, vulgar or immoral, or anything full of hatred. None of this adds any quality to my life, nor can I really relate to it well.

That's well said. I'm more and more finding myself expecting music to make me happy.

Hear ya loud & clear, BGD.

After 55 years, one tend to gets comfortable in ones circle of influences and activities, and only includes anything that fits. That's not to stifle the brain within a self-imposed intellectual exile, but just to know ones own center and be at peace with it. While others thrive on extreme self-expression or barbaric competitiveness, I'm personally a contented middle-aged guy who doesn't grind axes or feel indebted to prove anything anymore, i.e., boring (LOL). Sorta reminds of a T-shirt I saw someone wearing once:

"I'm like a super hero, but with no powers or motivation."

Sometimes I don't quite like the message in a song, but the beat and music grab me so much that I don't care.

Without rock and roll, there is no music.