Topic: About sums up life

About two years ago my wife and I began to plan a camping vacation to Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.  Because Lake of the Ozarks is about half way between us and my brothers in law in Denver, CO, we called them to see if they wanted to drive their half and meet us there.  They did.

So, our plan was to drive out to Lake of the Ozarks through West Virginia, north Tennessee, Indiana, and then Missouri.   This would take us through Louisville, St. Louis, and on to our destination.  On the return we would go down to Arkansas and then come back through Memphis and Nashville.  For a year we had been planning this.  I was making contacts with folks out there to meet up for some epic campfire jams. 

One call to the brothers in law in and they suggest that instead we return across the north of the country.  Further, they were going to get resorts for us all.  So much for Memphis and Nashville, but add in Galena, Illinois (why? I don't know) and Ann Arbor (see some friends) and Niagara Falls. Ontario (so we can say we camped in Canada).  Also, cut about ten or twelve days of camping out of it (but still drag the camper 1000 miles not to use it). 

We did this to keep the brothers in law happy, which is a good and reasonable goal.  We very much like them.  While it is not technically true, it is essentially true that her brother is the only family she has left.  And given the nature of his life partner, they aren't going to have any children.  So they love our children and our children absolutely adore them, so it's all good.  It's worth changing our vacation all around to get to spend the extra time with them. 

But last night we learned that the brothers in law aren't going to be able to join us on the northern part, which we were only doing because they wanted to. 

What can I do but laugh? 

I'm still not sure why I'm going to Galena, Illinois.  We hadn't really looked into it, figuring we'd just hand out with the brothers in law and do what they wanted to do while we were there.  But after looking at the options some, I'm sure we're going to have a good time.  Not "Nashville campfire with professional country musicians" epic, but fun.  I'm not sure my daughters are ready to see that much bourbon consumed.  Those country pickers sure can drink. 

One day I'll see Memphis and Nashville.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: About sums up life

You're going to Galena because it's awesome. Never been I take it?

Glad you can laugh about it Zurf! I have to say, it doesn't sound too bad though, I would love to go to Niagara falls, it's on my list of "things to do before I die" so I'm pretty jealous there. Keep us posted on Galena. I've never heard of it but you never know, it might be beautiful! (I'm with you on the Nashville and Memphis trip too).
Hope you have a great trip.

P.S. Take some extra bourbon with you, just in case Galena sucks!!

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Galena is a very historical little town.  I lived in Savanna Il a couple of times.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

We go through Galena on the way to visit my Grandmother. It's a pretty little town with a lot of character. Most of the buildings and houses date back to the 19th century. President Grant's house/museum is in Galena, and there's good camping and hiking--also some clear-running trout streams.

Baldguitardude wrote:

You're going to Galena because it's awesome. Never been I take it?

Never been, never heard of it, never had much interest in returning to the northern mid-west after a few years exile in Michigan.  But we're going, and after checking it out on the internet it does look like a pretty little town.  There's a country fair going on not far away, so maybe we'll get to take in a tractor pull.  I think my girls would love that.  There's some nice looking water and bike trails too.  My guided fishing trip on the Gasconade River fell through, so that frees up a few hundred dollars to rent canoes and stuff while we're there.  My kids don't know how to canoe (just one to kayak), so this may be a good opportunity to teach them.  I'm also taking a steelhead rod to Canada with me in high hopes of hooking up with one on the Niagara River.  They're there and in season.  The only question is whether I'll be able to get to chase them, and if I get to chase them whether I'll be able to connect.  That's a bucket list thing - catching a steelhead with a fly rod - so if I get to do that it's all good. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Greatbigdave wrote:

P.S. Take some extra bourbon with you, just in case Galena sucks!!

Way ahead of you on that score.

Memphis in July - OH Boy. Memphis style B - B - Q, fried catfish, Tennessee sippin' whiskey, Graceland, the Ducks at the Peabody Hotel, soft breezes blowin' in off the mighty Mississippi and 'skeeters big enough to stand flatfooted and make love to a turkey. You sure missin' a good time.

Nela

Summer run steelhead (skamania) should be running in Lake Michigan too. smile

If they have a corn boil going on there, you have to try it.  It's the best corn on the cob I ever et.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

You'll have fun. You're the kind of person that can have fun anywhere.

Kinda sad and harsh, but I have come to not expect much from others as far as planning things goes. Something always changes and it's rarely my fault. So I don't get my heart set on things until they happen.

Galena, isn't that French for Podunk?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

That's quite a tour. If you're passing, make sure you call in! Have a great time...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Twas a bad day today.  Not only did we loose 'Marty', {Ernest Borgnine) but I lost Arfer, my 15 year old Border Collie and most reliable friend. He had been in rough shape since Christmas, when a neighbors pit bull broke into his pen and mauled him badly. As a result of his ears being severely mangled (loosing one ear), he lost his hearing.
In spite of his condition he still always wanted to be with me.  That was his undoing. While on the tractor today , giving my 4 year old granddaughter a ride I was distracted, and ran upon him.  The son put him down for me and helped with the burial.  There are lessons to be learned. I'll be singing the blues--when I can. Best dog I ever had.  Wayne

Gander1? 

Anyhow... Zurf if you're heading to Niagra Falls, just make sure you're there for at least one evening.  The falls are impressive, but they are BEAUTIFUL at night!  If you stay on the US side instead of the Canadian side you may find more camping opportunities close enough by to drive over to the falls to see it.  If you get bored, there's a cute little theme park called Fantasy Island that I used to love going to when I was a kid.  It's still very much little kid friendly, although absolutely NOTHING epic (though, I haven't been there since Alex was around 4).  On the other hand, if you're going to Canada anyway, I would make a point to visit Marine Land.  It's something the kids would never forget!  When you're heading back home, do you have any plans to come through NY?  Jeff MIGHT be coming my way sometime in August, not quite sure when your plans are to be in Niagra Falls, but I'm in Central NY on the north shore of Oneida Lake and there's lots of camping nearby.  It would be pretty cool if you and Jeff were both here around the same time.  I'd call in sick to work for a visit with you and the family.  wink  Don't change any major plans for us though of course, just.... if you happen to be coming down the 81 or the I90 anyway, I'm really close off the exits of both.  big_smile  We don't have any major rivers nearby to fish, though there are lots of creeks and of course walleye are plentiful if you feel like taking a float in the lake.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

15 (edited by gander1 2013-05-23 06:00:39)

mekidsmom wrote:

Gander1? 

Anyhow... Zurf if you're heading to Niagra Falls, just make sure you're there for at least one evening.  The falls are impressive, but they are BEAUTIFUL at night!  If you stay on the US side instead of the Canadian side you may find more camping opportunities close enough by to drive over to the falls to see it.  If you get bored, there's a cute little theme park called Fantasy Island that I used to love going to when I was a kid.  It's still very much little kid friendly, although absolutely NOTHING epic (though, I haven't been there since Alex was around 4).  On the other hand, if you're going to Canada anyway, I would make a point to visit Marine Land.  It's something the kids would never forget!  When you're heading back home, do you have any plans to come through NY?  Jeff MIGHT be coming my way sometime in August, not quite sure when your plans are to be in Niagra Falls, but I'm in Central NY on the north shore of Oneida Lake and there's lots of camping nearby.  It would be pretty cool if you and Jeff were both here around the same time.  I'd call in sick to work for a visit with you and the family.  wink  Don't change any major plans for us though of course, just.... if you happen to be coming down the 81 or the I90 anyway, I'm really close off the exits of both.  big_smile  We don't have any major rivers nearby to fish, though there are lots of creeks and of course walleye are plentiful if you feel like taking a float in the lake.

Sorru Mekidsmom, I told my tale of woe in the wrong place. I have had only one adult ed. course in beginning computer. Remembered how to turn it on and not much more. I'll be learning by rote and will get better:-)

zurf all those destinations sound pretty cool to me, maybe one day when i win the lottery i might get to see some of them , hope you have an awesome time !!

Galena is a very interesting little town. Your wife will like the shops. I liked the little pubs where you could get a brew or two while shopping. And as Balddude says if you go to Michigan for steelhead you have to stop by Elderly Music in Lansing ,Michigan. Soooooo many guitars and so little time. Whereever you trip leads you, enjoy !

Joe

This thread is a year old and popped back up by accident it seems.  We did this trip last July.  Galena was fun.  I used to live in Lansing and have been in Elderly Music a number of times.  It's an amazing shop.

People should look at the dates of when the post were orginally made before replying. I know that there will be times when an old post will have a valid point to be re-opened but most times, not. Heck, I just got a "editing your post" e-mail from a moderator that was well over a year old that bothered a new member.

nela

NELA wrote:

People should look at the dates of when the post were orginally made before replying. I know that there will be times when an old post will have a valid point to be re-opened but most times, not. Heck, I just got a "editing your post" e-mail from a moderator that was well over a year old that bothered a new member.

nela

I guess you're just that controversial NELA.  :-)