Topic: Question from an acoustic player

Been a long time accoustic player but getting the bug for an electric. Owned many electric guitars as a teen, should have kept the Strat And the Telecaster but they were sold over 20 years ago.
Now I'm just looking for an axe to have fun with. Low cost as my kids seem to eat all the budget...... lol

Heres my question. I saw a Strat knock off made by Quest. The touch was surprisingly nice, neck straight, body in good condition, plays nice. The shop owner says he would let it go for 140$ Canadian. Is it worth it?

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Re: Question from an acoustic player

Hey Michel How goes it ? If that guitar feels right sure seems to me that you can't go wrong for $140.00. I would just make sure that it sounds good plugged in

what a long strange trip it's been

Hi Michel you have an advantage over a complete beginner in that you know what you want. Never heard of Quest but there are alot of far East makers using almost randomly picked words on the headstock, this does not mean they are bad instruments though. If you like the feel the next step is to ask to play, you could take an electronic tuner and checking how it holds tuning and   the intonation but your ears will tell you alot straight off.

Acoustic to electric is a big jump, I found;

* no sound in your chest, weird
* less expression from just how you strum or hold the chord
* changing the sound on the amp to match the song
* there aren't so many true beginner's songs for electric

On the plus side;

* although you can solo acoustic, electrics were just made for it
* the mid-neck region comes alive at the point acoustics become jangly tinny
* rock songs that don't work acoustic spring out when you find the amp sound
* expression becomes more disciplined, at high outputs and gain a tiny flick of plectrum can sound like nothing on earth!

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Like Dylan  Mike Herberrt goes Electric. Right on man if it feel good 140.oo is not a bad price. I jam on my brothers electric
every now and then and is a lot of fun. I would like to get an acoustic bass for kitchen jams. Maybe in time.

av a gud un buy.....Badeye.

one caper after another

Ya, I just want to have fun banging out some old Billy Squire or Zeppelin. We are in the process of buying a larger home and I will be building a soundproof room for my sons drums. I might as well get some use out of it.
How the summer been out east? Ours just sucks, either rainning or +35 and very humid. I almost miss the winter....almost.
Michel

Hi Mike been raining here off and on for a week now,very humid.Been working in the rain a lot as I have my plate full.
You should not miss DEEP PURPLE call in sick, just go. That would be one great concert, just to hear "My Woman From Toyko"  played live.

av a gud un...Badeye.

one caper after another

I'm a sucker for Child In Time. I would be hard to call in sick as I am one of the bosses.....well maybe I could...... lol

8 (edited by badeye 2007-07-13 00:07:54)

Yeah it's tough when people count on you. I'm my own boss
and hate to miss work. I hope you work it out and get to see DEEP PURPLE. Make something up like a pirate named Badeye kidnapped me and I ended up at a Deep Purple concert.LOL.

av a gud un buy....Badeye.

one caper after another

I could break into Bob Marleys  ''Redemtion Song''

Old Pirates, yes, they rob I  , took me to the concert scene, the meanest one was Badeye.......

AAARRRR  I may have you walk the plank mike if you dont go see Deep Purple when they come to your town.
    Hows it going by, just finished a full week's work and now as they say it's " Miller Time".  Tonite we are going to see a Battle Of The Bands, just local wanna bees. But its all good eh. Ahhh finally the weekend.

av a gud un....Badeye.

one caper after another

I'm just leaving the office for the weekend....we are going to visit some homes this weekend. Hope to find something soon. I would love to move before the school year starts.
Have a great one matey,
Michel

Good luck in your house hunting.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Hey Brad,
Well I just had to stop in at the guitar shop near my house and fell in love with a beautiful Martin series 15 Jumbo http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing … amp;m=J-15 . I think I'm gonna pass on the electric and put a little more from the budget on the Martin. lol
I will have to wait till the new house is bought and we are moved in but there will still be one waiting for me!

Have a good weekend and remember ''The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate.''

Michel

Hello Mike that is a beautiful guitar. Last nite we had a spur of the moment kitchen jam and I got to play a Martin DX-R1.
another great guitar. It plays like a dream. The battle of the bands was good fun. The winner got 500.00 bucks and a day of recording time in studio which is real cool. The weather here has been nice and sunny.

Take Care...Brad.

one caper after another