Topic: New strummer (maybe)

My granddaughter (age 12) wants to take up the guitar. My problem is what to get her for a guitar. Don't want to let her use mine, it's to good to get banged up. I do have a Peavey Strat that was given to me but it's so heavy I don't even like to play it. Also not sure if her parents want to listen to a amp while she is learning. While searching the web for something cheap but not to cheap (in case this doesn't last I want to be able to play it) I came across a Ibanez Talman. Looks small enough for a young girl, comes in colors that she might like, a cool shape and is acustic-elec. Does anyone have any comments on this guitar that might help me make up my mind?

2 (edited by dino48 2013-05-30 18:29:56)

Re: New strummer (maybe)

Hi jacked,there are a lot of good guitars out there for not too much money,you might want too take her too a showroom and look around,I think I would start her on an acoustic ( much lighter ). We all have our likes as far as guitars go, for lower end I like Yamaha,takamine and Epipphone. Welcome here too chordae we have a lot of songs she can play here,we also have a lot of members who will try too help you and her. This is a Family  orientated site so she will be in good company here. Color should be the un- important thing, the sound and feeling good too the player should be the important thing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Classical guitars are far cheaper than acoustic and nylon strings are gentler on beginners fingers. That is the way I would go.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Classical guitars are far cheaper than acoustic and nylon strings are gentler on beginners fingers. That is the way I would go.

Roger

Don't classical guitars have wider necks that would be harder to finger chords? Or am I on the wrong train of thought?

jackde wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

Roger

Don't classical guitars have wider necks that would be harder to finger chords? Or am I on the wrong train of thought?

jackde that is a good idea I have a Takamine f312 and it has a smaller neck then others it can be used with nylon or steel strings. It sounds great and is smaller then my Yamaha.It is not hard too play at all. I got lucky I bought it from a friend after a yard sale,got it for $25.00.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have a Yamaha FG junior that is pretty small. Plays nice just like my other Yammis. The Ibanez Daytripper is a smaller scale too. Haven't played the Ibanez tho.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

I have a Yamaha FG junior that is pretty small. Plays nice just like my other Yammis. The Ibanez Daytripper is a smaller scale too. Haven't played the Ibanez tho.

I've got a Daytripper.  Nice little guitar but the neck is too narrow (1-5/8) for my big paws.  I bought it to take on overnight raft trips but its just sat in the corner of my music room the last two years. Like a lot of small travel guitars, there's not a lot of bass so I changed the nut and re-strung it for Nashville high tuning.  It sounds pretty good and with the light strings its easy for small hands.  When the grandkids are visiting they plunk on it a little.  What is really cool is the Ibanez gig bag that came with it.  I wish I had the same bag in a 000 size for one of my other acoustics.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Go with the Ibanez!  its cool looking has the electrics and if heavy strings are a problem,, I used .009 Electric strings on my first ascoustic till I got used to them and put on the acustic bronze. Be the cool grandpa, get her a small pratice amp just so she can really get juced for playing.  Ask her what kind of music she wants to eventually play.  Is she a ballad/Jewl type  or is she a Lzzy Hale/Joan Jett rocker wanna be? ( Im personally for all the above but like the latter! LOLOLOL!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

jackde wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

Roger

A 3/4 size classical guitar has the same size neck as an acoustic/electric and the slightly smaller body size makes it easier for a youngster to handle. This is what we normally sell to young beginners and offer to buy the guitar back in exchange against an electric or acoustic when they have mastered the basics and are ready for an upgrade.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My daughter started out with a Squier mini strat. She was 9 at the time. Within a year she was using full size guitars. An electric is the way to go (my opinion). An amp can be turned down low. Or buy an amp that is not that loud to begin with. A honeytone ius cheap and does the job.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thanks for all the imput. Think I'll take her to Guitar Center and let her take a look. As long as she keeps it in the 200. to 250. range. Who knows, maybe she'll want to use the Peavey I have. I do have a small Peavey amp that came with the guitar. Just thought that if she quits in month or two like kids do I wanted something that would not end up in the closet. (always wanted a acoustic-elec cutaway for grandpa)

jackde wrote:

Thanks for all the imput. Think I'll take her to Guitar Center and let her take a look. As long as she keeps it in the 200. to 250. range. Who knows, maybe she'll want to use the Peavey I have. I do have a small Peavey amp that came with the guitar. Just thought that if she quits in month or two like kids do I wanted something that would not end up in the closet. (always wanted a acoustic-elec cutaway for grandpa)

At 12, I have to ask, how mature is she? I ask this because being a girl, she is either pretty mature, having made the leap of hormones, and thinks she knows where she wants to go.  Or the other side, still sorta of a little girl and kind of timid. 

I only bring this up due to your statement of "that if she quits in month or two like kids do".  My older boy is 12 also, Its a hard age for both . I dont remember it too well but I am fairly certain it was rough on me.  Back to the point, Cade (12) Was interested in guitar at 10 and worked to buy his first one.  That was the deal.  If he really wnated it, than he had to learn the 12 chords I let him use my guitar for.  He had 2 friends at the time who were playing (one is so good it kills me to listen to him) and he got into it.  He bought a AXL strat with his own money.  I held up my end and got lessons for him.  Then it fell off for 2 yrs after he stopped lessons, he hardly touched his guitar.  Now at 12 he is starting again.  I think  taking her to Guitar Center is the best thing you could do.  Her hidden power and desire will reflect on what she is drawn to!  --- Ok sorry I sound like Dr.Phill.  Give her the tools and then if your the teacher, ask her what she wants to learn. I wouldnt go heavy on theory, just teach her the songs she wants to learn.  Dont forget a great tool are all the free backing tracks out there. http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/  great site!

Hope it all goes well! Beamer.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)