Topic: Question (re: violinists)

This is how my tiny little mind works:  How common are left-handed violin players?

I've attended a number of symphony performances, and all of the violin (and violists and cellists and bassists) that I've EVER seen use the bow in the right hand.

I assume that when a natural lefty starts to learn the violin that they are taught to put the bow in the right hand (just in case they find themselves in a symphony someday).  But I could be wrong about that, which is the reason for this post.

A quick Google search seems to indicate that they are very rare, and some reading indicates that you can't even buy a violin off the shelf with a chin rest which allows for right-hand fretting.

Thoughts?

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Question (re: violinists)

I must admit, I never thought of this, but it is a very interesting subject when I think of it. Let us know if you find any further info on this.  A thesis on left handed players is in order.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I am a lefty but I play guitar as a right hander. I can do a lot of things left or right most of them are sports activitys.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Violinists that play in ensemble have to play righty or they will hit their neighbor with the bow. Most violinists play in ensemble, thus most are righty. I'd suspect that some fiddle players may play lefty but not many of the classically trained folks.

I'm also a lefty but I play guitar righty. smile

The inside of a violin/fiddle contains a Bass board and a sound post. To bow with left hand, the position of these items would need to be move opposite their current position. Then, the the bridge would have to positioned correspondently. THEN, the order of strings would be changed from GDAE to EADG. Merely changing the position of the chin rest would result in playing the violin/fiddle up-side-down.
SO...
Thats why there are no left handed snipers in the miltary. (To my knowledge.)

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Good one Bill, that got me laughing this morning!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".