Topic: Oldies Progression: G em C D

Hello I am new to guitar and came across this chord progression found in oldie songs.

I was wondering how it works when singing and playing a song like Duke of Earl. I am currently strumming 4 times for each chord.

So when I reach a few parts I get some problems trying to sing the lyrics in just 4 beats:

G                    Em
(Yes-a, I), oh I'm gonna love you, oh oh
          C
(Come on let me hold you darlin')

D
('Cause I'm the Duke of Earl

So hey yea yea yeah)

Is it a chord problem?

Thanks.

Re: Oldies Progression: G em C D

Welcome to the forum, jackqui. No. it is not a chord problem, it is a strumming problem. Learning the correct strumming pattern for each and every song you play will take time and effort. You need to learn to hear the "beat" (base notes) of the song as they will give you the "tempo" (strumming) of the song. I know the song you are refering too but it is one I don't play. I've been trying to come up with the strum pattern but just can't get there. I know someone else will respond, quickly, so don't give up.

Also, try tapping your finger on the table top as you listen to the song. Keep doing this until you develope a rythem to the song. Once you are able to to do this apply it to the strumming of the song. Just don't give up.

NELA

This song's progression is a standard do wop G Em C D on the verses each chord is 4 beats (1bar) but on the bridge its 8 beats(2bars) you can use a down strum for each beat to keep your time better you can also substitute a Am for the C because it is the relative minor of the chord smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

This song's progression is a standard do wop G Em C D on the verses each chord is 4 beats (1bar) but on the bridge its 8 beats(2bars) you can use a down strum for each beat to keep your time better you can also substitute a Am for the C because it is the relative minor of the chord smile

Thanks, does it mean:

G x 8                    Em x 8

Regards,
Jack

That's another way of counting it I would count it 1 2 3 4/ 2234 the 2 indicates the measure or bar you don't need to count to 8 smile

jackgui wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Thanks, does it mean:

G x 8                    Em x 8

Regards,
Jack

And there are many songs with these chord progressions, even some country tunes

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

7 (edited by jackgui 2013-06-15 14:53:06)

Hello,

I got it pat down after a week. Currently using the advise of 4 beats(1 bar) and 8 beats(2 bars) and it is working pretty well.  Just have to work on the vocals tongue

Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement.

Yup, there are lots of songs that use the oldies progression. My next song could be Earth's Angel by The Penguins.

Regards,
Jack

Another song with this progression is You're Only Lonely by JD Souther.  Check it out

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Way to go Jack you can also use a arpeggio stum that is picking each string in the chord up and down for a different effect smile

jackgui wrote:

Hello,

I got it pat down after a week. Currently using the advise of 4 beats(1 bar) and 8 beats(2 bars) and it is working pretty well.  Just have to work on the vocals tongue

Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement.

Yup, there are lots of songs that use the oldies progression. My next song could be Earth's Angel by The Penguins.

Regards,
Jack

Down, down up, up down up,

11 (edited by tubatooter1940 2013-12-11 00:45:13)

Bar bands in Mobile, Alabama back in the day used to call that the "Blue Moon turnaround."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0fy1HeJv80

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?