Topic: Ukuele Tuning

Hi Everybody,
Is a ukulele tuned like a violin? ( highest to lowest E, A, D, G)
If not, what is it tuned to?
Thanks!

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

2 (edited by easybeat 2013-06-10 04:55:23)

Re: Ukuele Tuning

Uke tuning is usually G C E A  ( That`s for soprano/concert/Tenor ukes)

enjoy your uke, lots of fun.

The King Of Audio Torture

The ukulele isn't actually mine, Easybeat. My little sister has one that is constantly out of tune, so I'd like to get it sounding better.

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Ukes are generally tuned 're-entrant', meaning the G is higher than the C and E.  If you're used to other instruments, it seems weird at first.

You'll notice that the G string is thinner than the C and E strings.

You can also tune the G down (low-g tuning), but you'd need a fatter string.  I play a baritone-sized uke, but tuned to Low-G GCEA.

Hi Spike, as far as your sister's Uke going constantly out of tune, the cheaper ones have this problem, due to the quality of the tuner.  If your sister wants to learn and play, a quality instrument is worth its weight in gold.  You're probably looking at no more than $50-$100 for a decent Uke on Amazon.  Stay away from the $29.99 bargain basement instruments.  They're a complete waste of money, if your sister is at all serious, and if you don't want to be constantly fighting to keep it tuned.