1 (edited by GuitarAddict 2013-06-17 01:22:39)

Topic: problems with a beginner guitar student - need help

Hi!
I have some problems with one of my guitar students and if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it very much! I know the post is quite long, but I didn't know how else to write all that things in short. I'm really in need of some advice.

So here it goes... she is an adult beginner on acoustic guitar (around 30 years old). I never encountered someone like this before, and so didn't few other private guitar teachers, especially when an adult is in question.

She is very motivated to learn the guitar and wants to play well and understand it so badly, but often feels bad about herself because of her problems.

Otherwise she always had quite good grades in school and is quite intelligent in other things. She doesn't have any special needs as far as I know, she was never diagnosed with anything. She had 2 years of piano in her primary school years (it was a looong time ago, though, and she forgot most of the things by now) and her pitch recognition is quite good, rhythm sense too. She can copy me to the beat, but when she has to play it without hearing or watching me first, she is quite lost. Now she is learning acoustic guitar for about 9 months.

She understands rhythm, strumming patterns, and all the open chords very well, the trouble starts when we try to learn any form of musical notation (may it be tab or notes), anything about finding tones on the guitar, and she has lots of trouble with fingerstyle techniques because she can't read any notation, hence the trouble with remembering it. Sometimes it seems like she can't grasp a concept of tones and strings.

When I tried to teach her barre chords, she knows F and B chord, also F minor and B minor, but whenever I teach her other barre chords, she can never remember the right name of the chord. The problem is she can't remember tones on the strings. She says it looks all the same to her. We tried learning by repetition, tried games, I explained the chords and tones on few different ways, we tried playing songs with the new chord we learned, we worked on muscle memory, I also wrote all new chords down and she has a fingering chart in her theory notebook. As far as it goes, it took us nearly half a year to figure out barre chords for the first four frets (F, F#, G, G#, A#, B, C, C#). We could do it by me writing down on what dot is what tone, by fingering chart I made, and heavy repetition. And sometimes she still fails it without a fingering chart or seeing what tone is on what dot. I don't know what else to do. Otherwise she learnes open chords quickly, because she memorizes them by shape, not by tones.

Next problem are tones on the guitar. We did all those simple beginner exercises as 0,1,2, 0,1,2,3, or 0,1,2,3,4, etc. I tried to show her what the notes are first on low E string, later on A... she never made it past low E string. When she tries to find a tone by pitch, she doesn't take into account that the tones follow one another as semitones. So she finds wrong note more often than she finds the right one.

What would solve most of the problems listed here, would be if she knew how to read any form of musical notation for guitar.
I tried to teach her how to read the tablature which seemed like easier option because the finger placement is already shown there. She could not understand how to read it, I even asked some other guitar teachers how they would do it, and nobody could explain it to her so she could understand. Then I tried writing an inverted tablature and guess what, she could read it, almost sight-read! The problem is because it is an inverted, upside-down tablature where the lowest string (low E) is actually written on the line when you usually find a high E string tones. And you rarely find such tabs anywhere. So I have to manually convert everything she wants to play this way for her to be able to read it at all. I don't know how to teach her to read normally written tabs after so many attempts.

But there is the thing... when I asked her which string is the highest and which the lowest, she said that to her it would be logical if high E string would be in the place of low E string, actually if all strings would be placed in that order on the guitar. I asked her with which hand she writes and she said she was a lefty, but when in school she had to switch to right hand, because it was "not right to be lefty" and she is now like righty. I think there is a problem.
I adviced her to buy a left handed guitar and learn to read lefty tabs, or to replace the strings to different order, but she says she's used to strumming with the right hand and doesn't wanna change as she is very good with strumming chords now.

After a few failed attempts, I asked her how she best memorizes things, and she said in pictures. So actually I would have to write and color everything down for her to 'get it'. I don't really have many ideas on how to do it, as it seems she is a straight visual thinker and not so good auditory/practical learner. Does anybody have any experience with highly visual learners?
I know she does best when she copies everything I do and when I show her everything in front of her or draw a picture of the tones (we progressed pretty fast that way, but she often needs to look at pictures to remember things later, or has to see me play and copy it again and again), but I would want her to once be independent and not to need me for every single thing to show to her. I'm quite lost here.

I also asked her what her goals are and she said that she would want to be a country guitarist once or to be in a some kind of acoustic guitar band. This is a high goal, and we're stuck here with the thing called "musical theory and basic understanding of tones on strings".

I would really appreciate any help on this matter.

Re: problems with a beginner guitar student - need help

Hi guitaraddict,wow I really do not know what too say as I am not a teacher just a picker and a strummer.She sounds really smart for right now you might just keep her on chords. I think you should also get her to practice scales. Is she Left handed? She may be trying too hard. The guitar can be the easiest or the hardest of all to play and it takes a lot of time for some of us.  We have some good people here that have taught and performed pro,I hope they will check out your post. Welcome too chordie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Scrap notation for now.  If she can strum, pick a simple song she  knows and likes and teach it to her by ear / shape.

4 (edited by bensonp 2013-06-17 13:56:12)

It almost sounds as if she may be dyslexic.  She has trouble with string order and where to put her fingers.  This would follow for tones and sounds as well.  She sees and hears differently from you and I. Look up some simple tests for dyslexia and see if you can tell whether that's it or not.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sounds to me that it's a matter of too much too soon. By that I mean, from your post, you are moving on to other things before she has a handle on where she is at. Back off and let her concentrate on getting better at what she knows before overwhelming her with MORE instruction. It might be that she needs to slow down and regain the fun part of playing the guitar.

NELA

6 (edited by GuitarAddict 2013-06-17 18:05:36)

Yeah, I'm thinking of leaving all the theory to the side. She progressed pretty fast though. We started with having fun when playing, we often played together at lessons as fast as she got a handle of strumming and playing some basic chords (like A, G, D, E..) She really has no problem with down up, up down strumming patterns, changing rhythm, muting strings with her strumming hand and learning new chords (if they aren't barre chords though). She learned all the basic open 7th chords, minor7 chords, major chords, minor chords and open sus chords (sus2, sus4).
She has some trouble with barre chords, but only because she doesn't really understand which tone is the starting tone of the barre (with G major barre chord, first finger is on the third fret on the low E string, which is G tone - she doesn't really remember that, and many times also places it to G#, or even F#, we are really training this still). She can hold them pretty well, her guitar hold is fine, she isn't pressing too hard and has no problems with painful fingers if she doesn't play them for too long (I told her not too, even when she wants, because it can be painful then until the hands are well used to playing for a long time).

So we did a couple of songs (from rock, to pop, to easier country, to rock'n'roll, and as her daughter is 16 years old and quite good singer, she has many options to play the songs. Sometimes I join in too. When I asked her if she wants to just go on with strumming, and chords, she said yeah, but that she also wants to learn some theory, she wants to become good fingerpicker one day and wants to be able to read tabs. She is totally amazed when she sees anyone play that way. So that's why I started showing her some theory (around 4 months ago, but not in every lesson, it's like every second, or third, to not annoy her too much with that), and what the tones are. She said she also wants to be able to play some easier solo once and that she would want to understand guitar well someday.

Yeah, she told me that she was a lefty when little, but had to change the hand for right one when she started school (teachers wanted all students to write with right hand at her primary school). So she can really write and function with both hands, and she started with guitar as right-handed, beucause she wanted to learn it "normal way" and she didn't really tell me she was lefty once until we started with theory. But now she is very good strummer for her level (9 months). She can strumm both with a pick and without but has some trouble with proper finger placements without a pick if we don't take it really slowly, step-by-step, because she can't just read a tab and play what is written if it's a "normal" tab.

I have tought of her having some minor learning problems (she has some trouble differentiating left and right in ordinary things, but can work around it, she reads words as a picture of the word, not by letters, she has some minor memory problems if it's not visually supported..), but was never diagnosed with anything, or unrecognized, as it was a long time ago when she went to school and learned by visual memory. Otherwise she can tune her own guitar with a tuner very well, she knows that on 12th fret all the tones repeat (EADGBE), she can sing in pitch with no problems and has good sense of rhythm. She is otherwise very creative, has good intuition, her logic (if not for music theory) is quite good in ordinary things (she said so), she loves to write her own songs (chords and lyrics), she showed me some and they are guite innovative, she loves changing strumming patterns within a song, she knows how to play quiet (piano), loud (forte), etc., and appropriately changes it within songs.

I started to teach her theory around four months ago, because basically she asked me to, but is facing problems with that. We usually have a 60 min lesson, and if we're not working on theory, there is just a couple of minutes of explanation, and the other is having fun and playing, so I'd not think that too little fun is the problem. With theory is around 30 min explanation, 30 min of practice, flexible though).

I'll also look up if she might be dyslexic or something, but she was otherwise said as being gifted.

dyslexic was my first thought also.  It could be a very mild form.  My grand daughter has a mild form where she cannot tell B's from D's, but that's it.  She is in high school.

John

Obviously we are all guessing because we don't know her. But I'm thinking some sort of learning issue also.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't know tones and such. I know very few notes on the fretboard. I only know my chords by shape. So 5 years in, for me anyway, theory doesn't come up alot.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

GuitarAddict wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking of leaving all the theory to the side. She progressed pretty fast though. We started with having fun when playing, we ................... being gifted.

I can tell you right now, THAT IS DYSLEXIA. and its not amild form.  I know, I have delt with it my whole life.  I was able to overcome it pretty much, but I still have to be carefull with my numbers.  I am a slave to my sheet music unless its an original song of mine. I cant get most theory becasue something in my brain snaps at certain points.  Two different test at two different ages. at 12 and 30.  Same thing happened at teh same part of the test.  the Doc had no explaination.
The fact is I think she has it pretty bad.  Seeing everything backwards, addmited needs pictures to really "get it".  Her first step to getting better is to face the brutal truth  " I am Dyslexic or have some type of issue"  Not to joke but its like AA.  you have to be aware of it b4 you can learn to fix it. Either that or its a form of Autism, where the person is so smart they have a hard time grasping certain ideas.
My wife has a special ed degree.  Did you know that even the very smart kids in the "Gifted and Talented" classes are also  Special Ed?
So just as Nela, Z, and BGD have said, your tying to acomidate her wishes, but it is too much for her to grasp.  She might have some OCD going also.  You need to get her to be honest with you if your going to progress.

I dont know all the notes on the neck, I got most the low E and A strings down since that is the primary strings for Root 5ths.  Have you showed her the simpl Barr of just fingers 1 and 3 (or the pinky if more comfy).  I can not play by ear cause the tones dont always compute, 

I hope this helps a little. and best of luck to her.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

10 (edited by GuitarAddict 2013-06-17 23:38:05)

Yeah, as I saw on the internet, she really has some problems that seem like dyslexia, but I guess she somehow figured to read well, like through pictures of the words or something, because now she is quite fast and fluent reader (though she usually reads quietly, and rarely loud). If there is a word "number" she will remember it by shape, like "number" and connect it with numbers, but she never read like "n-u-m-b-e-r". But with every new language she wants to learn, she has quite a bit of a problem learning correct pronunciation and often misspells it and mixes letters here and there. She also has very messy handwriting that no one can read really, even herself sometimes. I find it strange she was never assessed for any learning problems, while she clearly shows some difficulties in some areas, including time management and disorganization (forgets things often, and often asks the same question, like how much should she practice a day and such).

I made and gave her some very basic tab last week and asked her to try it (it is mostly open strings, and fingers 1, 2, and occasionally 3, on just low E string and it's not long). I asked her to try and then tell me how it goes. She said she still has to turn it around in her head to see it the right way (as in her head somehow low E string is placed below, and high strings are upper strings). That the lines look all the same and the numbers all get jumbled somehow. She said it's the same problem with classical notation. She sees the notes, but doesn't differentiate fast enough between all those lines and spaces and then like something in her head stops and she can't figure out what the tones are and becomes utterly confused.  Though she can find all the keys on the piano by visual memory.
Then I asked her to put a guitar on her knees like she would play the piano, to put her notebook with a tab on guitar, and the strings will be in the same order visually as on the tab. Then when she sees number 3, she has to put her finger on the third fret of the string that matches the one on the tab.  Guess what, when she called me today afternoon, she said she could finally find the appropriate frets and strings and could play it! Now, she would just have to convert it somehow to normal guitar hold and find the same thing when holding guitar normally after few tries. I hope she could do it somehow.

11 (edited by beamer 2013-06-18 00:42:13)

I just thought of this,, you should introduce her to a fretlight guitar.  Then all she has to do is follow the LED dots on the fret board.  I think concidering the level of her challenge, it would be the best tool.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG507NA/ or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG521SB/   and here is a list of stuff to learn with it,   the first 2 basic discs come with the guitar, then this one. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FVCINT101/   There are also artist series for blues and country to Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Gidday

All i can say if she can do all the things you mentioned,i think she is brilliant.
Only 9 mths amazing!

The King Of Audio Torture

Abandon theory and notation for now.  Teach her three chords, and a dozen different songs that can be played with those three chords.

Success at that will breed success elsewhere, and if she's smart, she will figure out what that means on her own.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Did you get that from Mr Miyagi or a fortune cookie?