Topic: 6 string hybrid banjo

Hi Folks -  Anyone here ever play one of those 6 string hybrid banjos ??  Seems like a fun thing to mess around with and no learning curve..  they're relatively inexpensive (lower end models)..  Just curious if anyone has one and what you think.. 
thanks...

Re: 6 string hybrid banjo

I have a dean. I don`t get much use out of it. When I do, I love it. Tunes and plays just like a guitar. Sounds like a banjo.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Its a GITJO.
I tried to talk my wife into one when she was HE!! bent on a Banjo.  Now she has a banjo and for 3 years it’s been sitting in a case doing nothing.  If she had gotten the gitjo, then hell I would be playing it, able to teach HER how to play it and my Son could be using it!

Ooops sorry, this is not about me LOLOL I say if you want it get it. I love how the banjo is creeping into modern rock! Check out Volbeat’s new CD, in particularly a song called Doc Holliday.  Banjo all through it,, it could be a gitjo,, who knows??

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

My son has one and several nice guitars. I have to play it a little each time I go over there. They say they sound even better if you buy strings for a 12 string and use the smaller strings for the banjo and the larger strings on a guitar.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

One of my buddies has a Deering Boston 6-string that he lets me play frequently and it sounds great with the metal finger picks I like using on my guitars.  He rarely plays it and has tried to sell it to me but its a little out of my price range.  I usually have one "Nashville" tuned guitar in my music room (strung with the same gauge strings as the octave strings of a 12-string like deadstring mentioned) and it sounds like a cross between a mando and banjo.  I imagine a 6-string banjo strung "Nashville High Tuned" would create an interesting sound.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I've heard they get great gas mileage.

beamer wrote:

I tried to talk my wife into one when she was HE!!

I read this passage about 6 times before reading any further..... I was confused lol:lol::lol:

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:
beamer wrote:

I tried to talk my wife into one when she was HE!!

I read this passage about 6 times before reading any further..... I was confused lol:lol::lol:

Roger

yep I cant type HE## bent and heck just dont cover correctly LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Many thanks folks for your info and advice...  I may go ahead and get one..  we do quite a bit of Americana type stuff..  think it would be kinda cool to play that on a few tunes...
I had to read Beamer's reply a couple of times myself.. funny. 
Thanks again..  will post if it happens..

Hey Roger and Debrap, I have to keep you guys on your Toes dont I? lol lol