Topic: Guitar going out of tune...

My Simon & Patrick guitar has always stayed in tune really well, but just recently I need to retune every time I pick it up. The top E is usually way flat, but there are usually a couple of other strings slightly out. So I tune it up (with my electronic tuner), play it for ten minutes or so, and it goes out again! I can't see any damage to it, or loose struts - would it just be the strings? They aren't very old, 6 months or so - they are Earthwood Lights (11-52).
I DID sell my Norman recently, though - perhaps the S&P is missing it?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Guitar going out of tune...

Did you have the problem in the last 6 months?

You need a guitar therapist.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My strings last 6 weeks!!!! I could never get them to last 6 months, so I suggest you try a new set before anything more expensive.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

And make sure your tuner pegs aren't slipping or loose.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Change your strings,and make sure you do it properley.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

BGD - it's just been happening in the last few weeks. I find that strings last for ages if I clean them regularly with Fast Fret, but this is the first time I've used this make of string...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

sounds like the strings could be grabbing on the nut? try graphite?

BGD, what could make the strings grab at the nut. changing to a heavier gauge string?

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I put a small amount of graphite in my nut slots every time I change strings in the belief that prevention is better than cure. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger, something about your post just doesn't sound right.

NELA

Gauge change yeah.  And despite the lol Rogers advice is sound.  smile

I do the graphite thing, too, but will try a bit extra for luck...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

LOL Roger

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pete and dino make a good point if the strings are not wound around the pegs correct they will slip and if the tuning pegs are loose the same thing could happen I agree with putting a new set on and cut the string about an inch past the post its going too then put the string thru the hole about a half inch and make a bend in the opposite direction you wind it to tighten them keep the wind below the bend with some tension till it tightens up enough to let go this will help with them slipping after they stretch out a little smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Scrapings from a HB pencil= graphite.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

bluejeep wrote:

BGD, what could make the strings grab at the nut. changing to a heavier gauge string?

Physics would make them grab at the nut.   It's just something they do.  Change your strings and rub a little pencil lead in the nut groves when you do.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]