Topic: Matala Beach festival Crete(organisational disaster!!!!!!!!!!!)

Having  just  returned    from this  years  Matala  Beach Festival  ,an event  I have  supported and  given my  time  to as an artist  since its  beginning 3 yrs ago,I  feel  I  must  publish  my  feelings  about  this  years  shambolic  affair .
My  wife  and  I  have  been  working  with  the  organisers for  nearly  a  year   to  ensure  GB Blues Band and  9  other  bands  and  artists  involved in  the  Bands against poverty movement  here in  Crete got  a  chance  to  play  and  raise   money  for  the  charity's  of  Crete . Sadly  the  organisers despite  all there promise of  help  let  us  down badly , The  promised  Kiosk  didn't  arrive  until  mid day  on the  second  day  ,no  tables  for  the  kiosk . We  had  to  chase  to  get   food vouchers  for  the  bands  who  gave  there time   free,so many  broken promises .My  own Band  GB Blues  programmed  to  play  the  main stage  on Saturday   were  cut  because  the  organisers  couldn't  co ordinate  the  times  for  sound  checks ,giving  two   acts  3hrs  each  during  Saturday  afternoon ,all the  audience  got  was  6hrs  of  some  premaddona  banging  a  kick  drum  while  the  tried  to  get  the  sound  right ,Totally  unnecessary as  was  later  demonstrated  by  Hugh  Cornwell  of  the  Stranglers  who  turned  up  late  after  Easy  jet  lost  his  equipment . Hugh Did  a  15min check  with  borrowed  kit  and  blew  the  crowd  away .
On a more  positive note  the   Earth  stage    where most  of  the  B.A.P  bands  played   was   well run and  had  great  sound  thanks to  the  guy   who  manned it  almost  single handed for  4 days ,Antonis  you  are  a  star  and I  thank you   for  all your  help  and  support ,You  did  a  great   job and  gave  us  super  sound . I  played an hours  set with Boston flutist  Cindy Scholl and Cretan guitarists  Antonis  Koulendakis and Mixhalis Ikosipendiakis  to a small  but  appreciative crowd.
The organizers lost  out  on  the  opportunity  to  raise  much  needed funds  for  the    less fortunate  people  of  Crete  by  failing to keep  their promises ,If  GB had been allowed  to  play   a collection  would  have  been taken during  the  performance ,and  as there  was  nearly  100,000 people  attended   over  the  4 days  this  could  have  been a  substantial  amount .
Matala   is  the  biggest  free festival  in Crete and  could  be  the  best   if  the organizers  learn how  to organize .For me it  was  a disaster  and  personally  cost  me  an  awful  lot  of  money  to  not  appear as  I  and  the  other  BAP  bands  all gave  their  time  free
However to  end  this  gripe  on  a  positive  note on Sunday  night  we  had  an impromptu party  at  the  hotel  with  Tonis Sfinos  and  the  Playmates (one  of Greeces  top  show bands ) this  was  fantastic  and  a  great  honour    to  play  with  these  guys  as  they  are  true professionals and  real  nice  .Please   check  out  their  act   on  you tube  as  they  deserve  to  go  international .
Graham.

Re: Matala Beach festival Crete(organisational disaster!!!!!!!!!!!)

That sounds terrible.  Lets hope the next one goes better.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.