Re: What's the hardest chord you ever encountered?

capo or bar the 3rd fret and play a C chord works also smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Or play some of the notes way up near the 12th fret.  It might sound funny, but it'd be open. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Major 7ths, using the Emaj 7th shape. 021100,  G maj  7th would be 354433.  A good alternative is 3x443x.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

I personally find B difficult if played the orthodox way, because my hands are proportionate to my 6'4" - 250 lb frame. They're not like Chris Squire's or anything (bassist for "Yes") but cramming 3 fingers next to each other on the fret board is only possible on my classical (2" wide @ the nut). As a number have suggested, reconfiguring ones fingers is sometimes the only solution. For A and B, I now invert the knuckle of the middle finger to cover the D and G strings, and then put the ring finger on the B to complete the shape.

The opening instrumental section of "Blood on the Rooftops" (Genesis) also contains a couple of odd / difficult ones which aren't any charts I've seen. A combination of practice and experimenting with which fingers to use will eventually solve any of them.

F barre was a pain, because the strings on the 1st fret are the hardest to press down.
One day I successfully nailed a G barre, then I slid up one fret to F# barre, then to F barre. That was the first time I played an F barre without muting the strings...
The hardest chord for me at the moment is F6add9, it is played like so:

E:--1--
B:--1--
G:--2--
D:--0--
A:--X--
E:--4--

I can't reach as far down as the 4th fret in that chord, and if I can, the low E string is muted sad

The chorus for the Genesis tune "Ripples" contains a Gmaj7 which I can't get to smoothly from either the A or E before it. Blasted little finger responds slowly to that reach across the neck to the 4th string ... more practice!

I agree with Guitaardophil about Paul Simon's "50 Ways" ... tricky combos.

Baring the C chord as Russell suggests is a very useful chord to have in your bag. At the 3rd fret you have Eb but lift your pinky off the 5th string and you have Cm7th. Look for Crazy by Narls Barclay.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

i feel stupid saying this to guitarists but some chords are like a brother from another mother, they look similar and quite often sound similar too. for example, if guitarist 1 plays G , and guitarist 2 plays Bm you get the effect of Gmajor 7. it may not be technically Gmj7 but it's close enough for the layman not to notice the difference. another one is G and Em = G6. you can go up and down the fingerboard like this, spend some time working them out.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I can do barre chords quite naturally now, and it was like heaven when I could do that
*angelic music plays*