Topic: Wide Strap ? Narrow Strap ? Which is for you ?

I prefer a wide strap around 3 1/4 inches myself on my Fender Stratocaster because of the weight.  On my acoustics I like a narrow strap because of the light weight.  What's your opinion ?

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

Re: Wide Strap ? Narrow Strap ? Which is for you ?

Wide - just more confortable.

nela

wide for both, as you say wide weight distribution

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I kind of like a medium.  I'm actually more concerned about the build quality and appearance.  I prefer thinner leather or suede with decorative embossing.  smile

I think these are the bomb.

http://www.levysleathers.com/img/prod/4b91bc3518224.jpg

The only exception is THUNDERSTICK!!!'s strap.  That guitar weighs a metric ton, so a wide padded strap it is for me.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I prefer wide straps, made out of a soft nylon woven material that conforms to my shoulder.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I usually use a medium strap, except on my Ovation Magnum bass.  It's very heavy, and even a wide, padded strap weighs uncomfortably on my shoulder by the end of a set.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I like a 3" wide strap for my Les Paul (weight distribution), but don't usually use a strap for acoustic or classical, preferring a stool instead. I suppose if I were a performer, that would all change. It's almost impossible to hold a classical guitar correctly with a strap, i.e., bout between knees with the neck angled up at approx. 35-degrees and the face angled up slightly. The angles are necessary for the fingers to work properly on the strings.

I like the big wide leather ones for heavy guitars but a thin woven one is just fine for acoustic.

A wise friend once told me "Never stand if you can sit, never sit if you can lay down."  Since I can't play very well laying down, I prefer to sit and therefore rarely use a strap. wink

I did an 1-1/2 hour solo set last night at a charity function, sitting on a stool the whole time.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I use a strap when I sit, most of the time. I like my guitar slung high.

I like These for my electrics,  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … itar-strap  padded w/ soft leather backing so your ax stays put.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

wide one's work for me,but I have not had to use one in years.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dirty Ed wrote:

A wise friend once told me "Never stand if you can sit, never sit if you can lay down."  Since I can't play very well laying down, I prefer to sit and therefore rarely use a strap. wink

I did an 1-1/2 hour solo set last night at a charity function, sitting on a stool the whole time.

DE

An hour and a half on a bar stool is just warming up for you. I've seen you play five or six hours a night several nights in a row and barely repeat anything.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

An hour and a half on a bar stool is just warming up for you. I've seen you play five or six hours a night several nights in a row and barely repeat anything.

I think the adult beverages you were consuming may have made you forget what I played the previous hour, let alone the previous night............... big_smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs