Topic: pink floyd top 3 albums

I have almost every pink floyd song or CD.
My top 3 in albums is.
1. Wish You Were Here.(mega super good)
2. The Wall
3. Dark Side Of The Moon

I adore also
- Atom Heart Mother
- Meddle: this one is a little bit, more than a little bit, bluesy, with sliding on a few songs.
I could go on, but one very good album is OBSCURED BY CLOUDS, and I think that after this album, the famous dark side of the moon appeared on the market. You can hear that the songs start more to be "pop" or more "catchy tunes".
COME ON PINK CHORDIAN FLOYD FANS, AND GIVE YOUR OPINION, if possible with a why.
I love wish you where here, because of the real straight from the heart music, more than dark side.
The wall is number 2, also because of the melodies, like "mother" (exists also in duet with Sinnead).

Last but not least, big topic to discuss is: who is the best
ROGER WATERS or PINK FLOYD with GILMOUR. I have the DVD's of both, and my first price goes to ROGER WATERS, live and surrounded by "super professional musicians" which doesn't mean that Pink Floyd is worse. I do agree that the last albums were Waters ft Pink Floyd, but look for yourself the songs written and performed (also in the seventies) by Gilmour.
I hope to have a nice discussion on this one, and the why's are indeed mostly personal taste, but write them if you want.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: pink floyd top 3 albums

fantastic subject Phil,
I too have probably all their songs.

My top three albums are
in third place.

The Wall........... superb album and great to play a few songs off it too
Piper at the gates of dawn..............this used to be my first choice for years, shold be joint first with
Wish you were here........... not only my favourite floyd album but probably my all time favourite album.

I also love to bits Meddle, it should be in the top three as well I would think and dark side, but I cannot cram them all into three spaces unless I burn 5 albums onto 3 discs with mp3s, lol, I could fit a lot in then. Atom heart mother is also good by least fvourite would hae to be.................hmm, ahrd but Momentry lapse of reason, sying that I think it is a superb album too, but my least if I had to choose only because Roger Waters' precence is missing from it.

I much much prefer floyd with Roger Waters in it. I dont care if Rick Wright fell out with Roger because he felt he was taking over too much and wanted to dictate their direction ( leading him to not record The final cut with the band), what Roger was doing or wanting to do wit hthe music was the right thing in my opinion. Just look at the marvelous job he done wit h"the pros and cons of hitchhiking", just sounds like a floyd album, and why? because Roger is and was and always will be the true precnce of the sound pink floyd should have.
RogerWaters said last year about the time of that G8 live thing that Amused to death would have been a much bigger success if they had done it as pink floyd and I think he is damn right.
But saying this, without David Gilmour their would have been a big loss to the sound Floyd had in the 70's. His guitar playing and his voice were needed as well as Rogers musical direction for the success floyd had.
Although I Idolise Syd Barrett, the pink floyd would not have become so succesful without DAvid. But I do think they shuld have allowed Syd to stay in them for his ideas.
I said before somewhere I think that Syd was trying to get back in his band when they were making wish you were here but they told him he was not needed. And these guys had not seen him for a few years and still regarded him as a very good close friend? what utter bollocks!! they should have let him at least put a few wierd whistle sounds in a track or two, have him do voice overs, backing singing, anything to get him involved, and if Syd did not want that then fair enough, let him walk, but they should have gave him a chance.

well, thats some of my views on the magnificent band.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Division Bell

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

well I think exactly the same thing.
It is a topic to discuss for hours, you can see very clearly the BARRETT period, followed by the WATERS GILMOUR struggle, and if you listen to their first albums, there are 2 (maybe 3) albums, where you really can see the "bridge" between the more psychadelic Floyd and the big machine they are now.
My opinion is they started to change, I MEAN FOR A MUCH BIGGER AUDIENCE, after the still more "spacesound" albums: MORE and UMMAGUMMA, but MORE there we can discuss, released before UMMAGUMMA, and yet folk and blues tracks.
More is underestimated.
I did exactly what you did, probably in the napster period, and put them together. I just had 1 funny problem: HERE IS THE ANSWER FOR RECORD COMPANIES, I downloaded DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, when I was home after my crash in 2000-2001, and every track from the album Dark Side, I noticed, months later, that from every song, the last 10" were not there, sh*****, but because of a lot of time, I finally tried to fill my blanc CD-roms, in a chronological way. So I should have everything. And BOOTLEGS: probably as much as official releases.
By the way, from 1 end to another, I adore also THE BEE GEES, before they went disco, I have more or less 20 official CD's and the same amount in mp3.
If you have luck and time, I had, I have the COMPLETE CCR set, starting with Tom Fogerty and the Blue Velvets up to the last CCR track, all the Tom Fogerty albums, this took a lot of time, days, weeks. But look at their story, very similar to Pink Floyd: Tom started the band, with his younger brother John, and left: from founder to zero, same with Dire Straits and Kinks. I don't think it is easy to start a band, and to be a few years later in the shadow of your brother. This one would be a very nice topic: maybe you start that one. I will: bands and brothers (see Oasis), well I will post this topic.
greetings and of cpurse a nice day.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

5 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-07-15 17:25:39)

Animals#1
Obscured By Clouds#2
Dark Side of the Moon #3

I love the flow and realness of Animals. Also, the symetry of the simple acoustic guitar and vocal intro and outro I find charming and artsy. This masterpiece isn't overcrowded with overdub after overdub. It's pretty much what Pink Floyd sounded like live at that point in time.

Wots...Uh The Deal and Free Four are two of the finest songs ever written and truely defined the sound that Pink Floyd would eventually evolve into.

Dark Side of the Moon is a little more main stream than I personally like but there's no denying the magnificent impact this music has on generation after generation. It's timeless, ageless, and will sound cool in 10,000 years.

I don't like to speculate into turmoil amongst band members so I won't but I sure would like to see the boys put aside their differences and give us 'one more go at it'.

Give everything but up.

1. the wall
2. meddle
3. wish you were here

the wall was a great album but I listened to it so much when I was younger that the thought of ever listening to it again makes me wince

still listen to meddle and wish you were here though

if you ever get a chance to watch the last 20 minutes of crystal vogager do - its a film about surfing and the last 20 min is an extened photo shoot of reefs and surfing with echoes playing -it s a great piece of film.

7 (edited by krhoades 2007-07-16 00:35:45)

My faves;

1. Meddle...what a gem /Fearless & Echoes WOW!!! I just love this album.
2. the wall / wizard of OZ anyone?
3. Animals / most underestimated  / dogs>sheep "ha ha charade you are"

and then to continue... big_smile
I can't help myself
4. Dark side / an absolute overly played masterpiece
5. Wish you were here / Wish You Were Here>shine On You Crazy Diamond
6. Obscured by clouds/ Free Four, great song
7. Division Bell / Take It Back > Coming Back To Life>Lost For Words
8. Momentry lapse / Dogs Of War>On The Turning Away
9. Atom Heart mother / If
10. Ummagumma / Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

and the rest are so so to me

I loved seeing them live.
I wish they'd do 1 more tour with Waters.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

upyerkilt wrote:

fantastic subject Phil,
I too have probably all their songs.

My top three albums are
in third place.

The Wall........... superb album and great to play a few songs off it too
Piper at the gates of dawn..............this used to be my first choice for years, shold be joint first with
Wish you were here........... not only my favourite floyd album but probably my all time favourite album.

I also love to bits Meddle, it should be in the top three as well I would think and dark side, but I cannot cram them all into three spaces unless I burn 5 albums onto 3 discs with mp3s, lol, I could fit a lot in then. Atom heart mother is also good by least fvourite would hae to be.................hmm, ahrd but Momentry lapse of reason, sying that I think it is a superb album too, but my least if I had to choose only because Roger Waters' precence is missing from it.

I much much prefer floyd with Roger Waters in it. I dont care if Rick Wright fell out with Roger because he felt he was taking over too much and wanted to dictate their direction ( leading him to not record The final cut with the band), what Roger was doing or wanting to do wit hthe music was the right thing in my opinion. Just look at the marvelous job he done wit h"the pros and cons of hitchhiking", just sounds like a floyd album, and why? because Roger is and was and always will be the true precnce of the sound pink floyd should have.
RogerWaters said last year about the time of that G8 live thing that Amused to death would have been a much bigger success if they had done it as pink floyd and I think he is damn right.
But saying this, without David Gilmour their would have been a big loss to the sound Floyd had in the 70's. His guitar playing and his voice were needed as well as Rogers musical direction for the success floyd had.
Although I Idolise Syd Barrett, the pink floyd would not have become so succesful without DAvid. But I do think they shuld have allowed Syd to stay in them for his ideas.
I said before somewhere I think that Syd was trying to get back in his band when they were making wish you were here but they told him he was not needed. And these guys had not seen him for a few years and still regarded him as a very good close friend? what utter bollocks!! they should have let him at least put a few wierd whistle sounds in a track or two, have him do voice overs, backing singing, anything to get him involved, and if Syd did not want that then fair enough, let him walk, but they should have gave him a chance.

well, thats some of my views on the magnificent band.

Ken

Syd was too far gone
Syd could only deliver chaos, alienation and scattered thoughts of maddness.
That was only part of a larger formula. He was mentally ill and could barely function after all that experimentation. Sad.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

krhoads,
it is true he was well gone i the head, but does that mean he couldnt offer something?
If it was not for his tallents at the start, his crazy ideas, his eccentric ways his experimenting in colurful lights puslating to the music pink floyd would have been nothing.
A bit of Chaos might have been good.
we will never know, and so I still stand by what I said.

I was never much of a fan of Pink Floyd up untill about 5 years ago. Sure, I liked one or two of their songs but could never really get into them in a big way.
Now, I've got almost all of their albums!

My favourites do tend to change from time to time, I love the psychedelic sound on some of the 'Piper' tracks but at the moment it wouldn't make my top three. They would be;

1.The Wall.
2.Wish You Were Here
3. Dark Side Of The Moon.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

At this moment, it seems that the WALL is on 1, but JESUS, I realise now more and more that it is a very difficult topic. Of course I should have put ANIMALS (I even went to that concert, with a big pig in the air. I have everything, and even MOMENTARY LAPS, THE FINAL CUT where great.

On the mentioning of the final cut,
would you consider that to be a pink floyd album or a Roger Waters album with 2 memers of pink floyd doing session work, since it was all roger's word really.

I still see it as Floyd since I see roger waters as the key to floyd, but a mate of min thinks differently,
what do you think./?

Ken

I like wish you were here more than dark side of the moon because it is more guitar stuf and not as much electronic stuff.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

upyerkilt, my master and king, I want to serve you.
In the beginning, when the animals were still talking, there was that "special" album, called the piper at..., I was still very young (°1955) and I didn't like it at all, also the second album. When I heard sometimes a song at that time, I changed the radio UNTIL, I started to listen in the early seventies to the album, I remember me that I was so impressed by that cow, Atom Hearts Mother, I listened once, not yet a big deal, but "IF" was nice, by coincidence at the almost the same day, I went to see my sister, 11 years old then, following class to become a ballerina (she succeeded and lived her dream) dancing on the first song of the album MEDDLE. I felt immediately in move with that song. I found out that the performers were Pink Floyd, so I started to listen again to the cowalbum (that was how I called it), the more I listened, the more I loved it, and suddenly there was DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, and I was completely addicted, I have every PF album, even bootlegs.
Concerning Waters, I just know that WRIGHT, left on purpose or had to, the band, but like you wrote was hired, by Waters. It is always the same old story, super musicians = super ego's, and they ended almost just like Cream, and like Clapton worked again later with Ginger Baker, the same story happened to PF, or maybe the Roger Waters band. It must have been a very sad, violent period, but this is what you get with that kind of musicians.
NOW: I have AND a dvd by Waters playing the Wall, and Gilmour, or PF, playing the same music.
I prefer the version of WATERS, surrounded by the "creme de la creme" of musicians.
He is definitely the best, but maybe I prefer the underdog. I can only make ONE CONCLUSION, together there was MAGIC, just like the fab four. Only sir Paul can speak of a successful life after the beatles, but together MAGIC, see also the stones.

yep Phil.
Agree with you there.
a few bands are like this, it is like the front man and a backing band, Jager and the stones, Jake burns and his stiff little fingers, mike peters and the alarm, simon le bon bon ad the duranees,
axel rose and his guns'n'roses to name just a couple
A band can still sound great without the original line up but it is good to see or have seen a band with an original line up.

3. Animals
2. Wish you Were Here
1. Dark Side of the Moon

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

17 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-30 17:37:54)

Momentary Lapse of Reason
Animals
Wish You Were Here

Almost went with Etc_04's exact list, but then I remembered the Momentary Lapse of Reason album.  Probably the last album I bought before going digital. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am more and more amazed here.
Ask anybody on the street GIVE ME 3 NAMES OF PINK FLOYD ALBUMS, you will have probably the answer Dark side of the moon, and maybe the WALL.
It is so difficult to answer that question, but I am surprised.
I was convinced that the number one should be DSof the M, while I preffered far more THE WALL, and WISH YOU WERE HERE. I noticed that talking their albums before Dark side, Meddle is appreciated by a lot, more than MORE, and when listening to MEDDLE, it is a typical PF album, but more open for their public.
If you start listening to their albums, you can notice the evolution to a lot nicer melodies, and the evolution to the PF we all know. I really forgot about ANIMALS, it is together with the WALL, maybe their best album.

Who remembers FLEETWOOD MAC, from a 100% blues orientated group, I have every FM song, you can see on a certain moment, the path they start taking leading us to RUMOURS.
I don't know if there are groups who make an album, and their next album is entirely different.
Bee Gees: same story, you can consider their album mr natural as the beginning of their new style, confirmed on "main course"

3 wish you were here
2 the wall
1dark side of the moon

the answer is blowin' in the wind

For me it's
#1 Dark side of the Moon
# 2 Wish you were Here
# 3 Meddle

These three cover so many different styles. Hard to pick really but this would be the order that I feel is right for me. Dark side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here bring be back to my highschool days, which were great days for me. Meddle brings me back to an era where I was ''experimenting'' alot. LOL Echos still takes me away to a strange but wonderful place in my mind, without any outside help these days of course!
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe