1 (edited by Dirty Ed 2013-07-28 12:16:12)

Topic: OMG - I made it !!!

Back in the spring I heard about the Smokey Mountain Songwriters Festival and competition to be held in Gatlinburg,TN in August.  On a whim I entered a couple of my songs to see how they might stack up against other songwriters in a national competition.  There were several categories and I entered songs in the gospel and folk music groups.  Winners were to be announced on July 15 and when I didn't get a call or email I was a little disappointed but I knew when I entered that the competition would be pretty stiff.  This morning I was checking weather and stream conditions before going on a kayak float and for some reason decided to check the SMSWF web page to see what songs had won.  As I scrolled down the list of finalists I was shocked to see my name and my song "We Can" listed as one of four "Honorable Mentions" in the "folk" music category! 

At first I thought I was a finalist and was so excited I posted the news to my fellow Chordians. Sorry.  Still, making an "honorable mention" for my song is a thrill. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: OMG - I made it !!!

Gotta give you an official "attaboy" for your well deserved success, Ed.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

You've got bragging rights! Congratulations!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Congrats, Dirty. You done yourself, proud.

Nela

An Honorable Mention is great.  Congratulations

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Well done.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well earned - I think both your songs and performance of them are worthy winning a competition or two. More people should hear you live to really appreciate your music in my opinion.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Thats fantastic DE. Well deserved

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Way to go DE!!! Nice to be recognized for your efforts and talent.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work dirty ed,maybe you can do it again at the next one.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Pretty awesome, man... CONGRATS!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. When I saw my name on the list posted on the SMSWF website I thought I had made it as one of the four finalists and excitedly posted that I'd "made it".  Imagine my embarrassment when I went back to the site and realized my name was actually on the list of four "honorable mentions".  I scrambled to change my post and wished I could also change the title to "I ALMOST made it".  I'm still just a bridesmaid I reckon, but I'll try again next year and hopefully submit some better material.

On the positive side, soon after I made my erroneous post, I spent the rest of the day floating one of the most scenic streams in Ohio in my yak, sipped some adult beverages and managed to thumb 27 smallmouth bass.  No bigguns but a great day on the water.  It was my third float of the week on three different streams.......  This retirement gig ain't too bad......:) 

DE

Well, you definitely should have been a finalist, IMHO, but well done anyway!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Congrats DE!  I think it's awesome, but I agree with Paul.  You should have been a finalist!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Retirement good

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

mekidsmom wrote:

Congrats DE!  I think it's awesome, but I agree with Paul.  You should have been a finalist!

He should be a judge.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

He should be a judge.

I don't know about being a judge - I probably wouldn't look very good in a robe.  However, one of those powdered wigs would cover up my thinning hairline smile

well done Ed, just think of all those lesser mortals you've done better than. you've got a mention and a good listen by a lot of powers that be, you may well be destined for the big time. kudos

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

THATS AWESOME MAN! CONGRATS!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Dirty Ed wrote:

On the positive side, soon after I made my erroneous post, I spent the rest of the day floating one of the most scenic streams in Ohio in my yak, sipped some adult beverages and managed to thumb 27 smallmouth bass.  No bigguns but a great day on the water.  It was my third float of the week on three different streams.......  This retirement gig ain't too bad......:) 

DE

Jealous!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!