1 (edited by Spike20 2013-06-18 21:24:48)

Topic: Faster strumming

Hey everybody... Chordiers to the rescues again!
  I have basic down/up 4/4 or 3/4 time strumming figured out, but when I try to turn up the heat like 4 or so down/up per beat, but it sounds really loud and TERRIBLE!
  How does one play like this? Do I just need to start slow and get faster or something? Gobs of practice?
What brought this on was that I was trying to play is Josh Wilson's 'I Refuse'. But I would like to know what to do then apply it to other songs also.
   Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Re: Faster strumming

Your pick grip might be putting too much pick on the strings. Shouldn't be like this:
http://www.fretjam.com/image-files/5.jpg

More like this:
http://deftdigits.com/blog/wp-content/u … rusion.jpg

also you shouldn't be muscling the strum with your elbow. Nice light snappy wrist motion.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Your pick grip might be putting too much pick on the strings. Shouldn't be like this:

More like this:
http://deftdigits.com/blog/wp-content/u … rusion.jpg

also you shouldn't be muscling the strum with your elbow. Nice light snappy wrist motion.

I disagree Baldy. I always hold my pick like this:

It's very loose and I have more control of heavy and light strumming. It allows the pick to give a little. With just a nub sticking out my finger would hit the strings and it would always be loud.

You might be over thinking the new strum. It's really no different than what you already know. Like you said, take it slow until you can get it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo answered you own question.  Start slow and pick up speed as you go.  Gobbs of practice man.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by Baldguitardude 2013-06-18 23:45:52)

Hey to each their own. smile

Good point re: grip strength though. If you lock the muscles down its tough to move 'em.

Edit: for giggles I went and played a few notes then took a pic of my pick hand. I use WAAAAY less pick than I thought I did...less than either of the pictures above. Interesting.  I'll post em tomorrow from my computer.

I also use 1.5mm gators on my acoustic so if I whacked w that much pick I think the strings would go. No flex at all.

Don't use picks,I don't. Mark Knoffler of dire straights very seldom uses a pick.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Get a metronome.  It will be your best friend and worst enemy at the same time.  Play the rhythm you want at some moderate to slow speed.  It doesn't matter what it is, but I'm going to use 80 beats per minute (bpm) as an example.  That's a nice slow-to-moderate speed. 

So, play the strum pattern you want EXACTLY RIGHT at that speed.  If you can't get the strum pattern EXACTLY RIGHT at that speed, slow down until you do get it exactly right.  Practice at that speed for as long as it takes for the strum pattern to become second nature.  Then speed up the metronome.  For example, if you started it at 80 bpm, bump it up to 90.  Strum it a few times, and you'll have it exactly right and realize that 90 bpm is ridiculous and why did Zurf ever tell you to bump it up so little.  Then take it to 140 bpm.  It'll stink.  You'll hate it.  You'll want to throw your pick out the window.  Instead, slow it back down to 90 bpm where you have it exactly right.  Get it exactly right a few times at 90 bpm, then bump it to 100, and then 120, and so on. 

The idea isn't to practice it at speed UNTIL you get it right, because you never will.  The idea is to practice it right at as slow of a speed as you have to go to get it right, and then get the speed up.  In other words, practice it so that you can't get it wrong, rather than having to work to get it right. 

I wish I was wise enough to take my own advice.  It's really good.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Zurf ... I was trying to work my way through your grammar, and now have a headache (LOL). Are you related to Yoda? Seriously, that's good advice on getting it right before speeding up.

Don't bust on my grammar or my Gram will come back from the grave, bust my knuckles, and make me conjugate verbs.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I wish I was wise enough to take my own advice.  It's really good.

If you do say so yourself. Do you pat yourself on the back while you play? That would be an awesome talent!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everybody...
Been practicing with wrist action, going slow, pick pressure attention, no pick and, yes, even the metronome Zurf... It is starting to come together into a good practice time.  Looking forward to getting better and faster! Thanks everybody! big_smile

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

I just strum with my thumb and fingers, kind of like a banjo. Every time I try to use a pick it sounds like crap. I don't know if I am holding it wrong or to much pressure or what but I have tried several time and it never gets better. So I just leave the pick in the case.

Cheers,
Ron

When I have to strum fast I use a thin pick. I always change up my picks according to strum speed.