Topic: Agile AL-2000 - Acquired!!!

Hello everyone,

I received my AL2000 silverburst the other day after finding out about the Agile guitars while researching the history behind silverburst guitars. I never thought I would ever be able to afford a guitar like this.  the modern day remakes of the silverburst Les Paul are over 2000 dollars and the ones made back in the 80s go for over 5000. it's rediculous how much Gibson charges for their guitars!! I tried out a couple of Les Pauls in the Music Center where I live and I couldn't even afford their low-end products.

But now I have my dream guitar!!! I have been through two other guitars that just didn't work out for me. The first was a "First Act" that the wife got for me last october. But that walmart guitar was so...fake. It had the worst electronics I've ever experienced. The thing would pick up static, hum and signals from the tv from over 10 feet away. I could listen to the television through the guitar!! After a while I had to stop playing it and get something better.
So...I went to the Pawn shop and picked up a Yamaha EG112-C2 for 80 dollars. It served me well and I learned everything on it, but it just wasn't....perfect...ya know? I am passing the Yamaha along to one of my brothers-in-christ in church so that he doesn't have to hold out until he has the money to buy his Jackson guitar.

So I got my Agile AL-2000 and I couldn't be happier!! The fretboard was dry when I got it, so when the strings came off I oiled it up with some lemon oil and put some Ernie Ball Strings on it. Once it was strung with "Heavy-bottom, skinny-top" strings I noticed the action was too high. After adjusting the truss rod and bridge and the action still being too high, I took the strings back off and removed the nut. I shaved it down on some sandpaper and effectively lowered the action to where I needed it. Plays like a beauty and the action is spot-on.

The pickup selector switch became very...spotty. Sometimes I would go from rhythm to treble and there would be no signal. So it got ripped out and checked. The solder points on the switch were not high quality, so I took out the soldering iron and cleaned up what I could. The switch works perfectly now.
Less crackling and static too.

This guitar is so much heavier than my yamaha though. I am going to have to work out or something to heft this thing around when I play. It's made from solid mahogany and I can believe it because this thing sustains like nothing I've ever experienced before. It's INSANE!!! It holds a note for almost 35 seconds from the time you pluck it. I will have to play better from now on because this guitar is sooooo clear and powerful that it brings out every little mistake I make. I couldn't hear them with the other two guitars. So I guess it really is true that a quality instrument WILL force you to become a better player!!

Thank God I finally have my dream guitar.
I would post pics but my camera died over a year ago.
Instead, I will post pics of the guitar that another AL-2000 silverburst owner uploaded.
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/gallery.php?action=viewimage&iid=2&cid=1
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/gallery.php?action=viewimage&iid=3&cid=1

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: Agile AL-2000 - Acquired!!!

You took the right steps on correcting your action. The nut could have been rectified also by filing the nut where the strings sit in deeper for the same effect.  The reason being that some people will sand the top of the nut and not the bottom changing the radius of the nut in relation of the finger board radius (12 degree on LP types) but it worked out for you. Care must also be taken when relieving stress on the truss rod, they can be over tightened and snap in the neck channel causing a major repair for BIG dollars (usually about the cost of the guitar unless it is an actual Gibson LP their cost is HUGE!)

But as I mentioned you took care of it and it worked out for you.  You are also correct in saying that the weight of your new guitar is because of the mahogany construction which relates to more sustain.  With that smoother action you know play faster and notice the mistakes more which with pratice and familiarity of the new guitar will go away.

Bootlegger.

bootleger wrote:

You took the right steps on correcting your action. The nut could have been rectified also by filing the nut where the strings sit in deeper for the same effect.  The reason being that some people will sand the top of the nut and not the bottom changing the radius of the nut in relation of the finger board radius (12 degree on LP types) but it worked out for you. Care must also be taken when relieving stress on the truss rod, they can be over tightened and snap in the neck channel causing a major repair for BIG dollars (usually about the cost of the guitar unless it is an actual Gibson LP their cost is HUGE!)

But as I mentioned you took care of it and it worked out for you.  You are also correct in saying that the weight of your new guitar is because of the mahogany construction which relates to more sustain.  With that smoother action you know play faster and notice the mistakes more which with pratice and familiarity of the new guitar will go away.

Bootlegger.

Thank you. I took care not to turn the truss rod too much. Half a turn was all it took. The nut-job was easier than I thought it would be. I am going to perform the same nut-job on the First Act guitar and give it the setup that it desperately needs. Maybe one day i'll even replace the pickups, switch and potentiometers with quality equipment.

YES!! The lower action makes everything sooooo much easier. And clearer too! In time I will get better, this guitar is teaching me so much about my playing that I didn't know before.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thats the great thing about getting a new guitar you notice the difference in the set up of your current guitar and become more conscience of your playing.  I have decided after vairous emails with Todd Rockinger of Michael Kelly Guitars that I will be ordring my Valor "X" series (the two tone spalted maple) and replacing the Rockfield Mafia pickups with a set of Rockfield SWC's.  Go to the MK website to check out the axe (www.michaelkelly.com) and to Rockfield pickups website for sound samples (www.rockfieldpickups.com)

Glad your happy with your new guitar.

Bootlegger.

Wow, that MK Guitar looks smoooooth.
Congrats on deciding on the new axe!!

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Dm.

I ordered my Rockfield SWC pickups today should be here in about a week.  I will play the Rockfield Mafia's which come in the guitar and change them if I am not happy with the tone.  Will pm you when I get it.

Bootlegger.