Topic: New member intro

Howdy everybody,
My name is Rob, and I live in a small town in Western Kentucky.  I am now 56, almost 57 and I got my first guitar when I was 14.  It was an old Checkmate nylon string that I found sitting out for the trash man to pick up.  It looked like someone tried to put steel strings on it and pulled the bridge off it as there was a lot of glue as well as two screws holding the bridge on it.  I did manage to learn a few chords on it  G, C, D, A7, Em.  I still have this old guitar today, just don't have the heart too get rid of it.  A few years ago, I started having heart attacks and after that I got a settlement over a med that caused it.  After a surgery, my wife got me a Fender Kingman that she had seen me looking at in a catalog.  I am now trying to get better at playing and have just started to learn some barre chords and some simple finger picking.  After getting the Kingman, I got the matching Kingman bass and love them both.  My favorite music in mainly old rock, country, and country gospel.  I just can't seem to really get good at playing guitar like I want too.  I do end up in the hospital every few months for a few days with chest pains and to let you know how crazy I am, I do take my guitar with me when I go.  Well I guess that is about all I can say for now.  Yall take care.

Rob

Re: New member intro

Gidday Rob

Good to know at our age we can get hooked on guitar.I`m pretty average but play most days.
I get a lot of fun & pleasure from it.
Good to see you using the forum,will look forward to your comments.

The King Of Audio Torture

Hey Rob - Welcome and we're glad to have you. You'll find lots of different guitar folks here from raw beginners to seasoned experts and in between. People who frequent chordie are have a wide variety of interests and are into all types of music much of which you can find in the artist and song listings, and if you can't find a song you're looking for just ask for help and I am sure someone will either find else where on the web or help you figure it out. Please feel free to share stories, bring up discussions, ask questions, and respond to these types of posts in the various forums.  If you are like me, and a bunch of our other chordie regulars, you have just found your favorite hangout on the web. Pull up a chair and welcome.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Chordie, make yourself at home and please join in the discussions.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Welcome to chordie. You just inherited one big family all over the world. It`s a great bunch here.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Welcome home, rhwyatt. Reading your post you kinda sound like me. I, too, am awaiting a settlement from a class action suit from taking Avandia and having heart attacks. I started playing guitar when I was 13 but stopped when I broke my left arm. Picked it up again at age 54 and haven't stopped since - blues, old country, gospel and rock n roll.

NELA

Welcome to the greatest place on the net. Lots of great folks hangout here, I know you're going to love it too. I also started playing guitar at 14 and now I'm 60. I did put it down for a few years but for the last 25 years it's been more fun than ever. I tell many young people I meet to learn guitar. It's something your can do your entire life. Keep rocking , and visit with us again.

Joe

Welcome. Great to have you! Can you play a b chord? Inquiring minds want to know. smile

Yes, I can play the dreaded B chord using 2 fingers, barring with my index finger then barring with my pinkie on the 2 3 4 strings.  it is hard but I am getting it.  cant seem to do it like an A

Welcome Rob. This is the best place to be, you'll find lots of good fun loving people here. Oh, by the way I'm 63 yrs. old and still playing and learning guitar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Welcome to Chordie.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome to you Rob.  I also love old rock and country.  Good luck and come back often buddy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Welcome here rob,hope you enjoy the sight.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome Rob, you have discovered a great site as well as a great group of peolpe. If you can ask a question there are people here who are very willing to help with answers. I have been helped a great deal and, am now almost to the stage of contributing to others who need help. BTW i am also from Western KY.  Check your e mail bud.

Welcome Rob; I like you just picked up about two years ago.  This is a great place to get your fill of info, friendship and support.  Don't be afraid to ask any question as the good folks on here are just full of; well, let us just leave it at that.  No, really, great site, great people; lots of good reading.  I don't post tooo much, but I do like to check in pretty often and keep up with all of the characters.  Here's hoping you become one of us Chordie characters.  I am just up the road a bit in south central Ohio.   Welcome!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Welcome!!. As all have said this is a great site. I have become very good friends with a lot of the members here.  No one has mentioned it yet so I will say if your fimiliar with Skype, we sometimes have virtural campfire Jams.  Its great fun and you really get to know people.  As also has been said, we all have a wide spectrum of musical taste here.  I am the predominant metal head, but I love many other styles. ONly problem is I end up taking Simon and Garfunkel and throwing in some distortion and palm mutes! 
ONE AGAIN, WELCOME TO A GREAT FAMILY.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Welcome, Rob!

You've already heard about the many great things Chordie has to offer, which we've all shared and enjoyed. Yet another thing we all share is an occasional case of G.A.S., also known as Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. With such a large group of knowledgeable guitarists on board, I've gotten great advice when considering making a purchase of some sort. And as a 55-year-old myself, I'll echo your comments about striving to improve, but not at the stressful expense of enjoying what I can now do.

Glad your here!

Welcome, Rob

Chordie is the best. Love the fact that so many of us old farts are learning or relearning to play. Mine was in storage for 25 years.

Jack

Hi Rob My guitar was under the bed for a long time but now I play it every day and have a lot of fun. I'm 76 so a little bit older than most of you I suppose. Somebody said in Chordie that old age is a high price to pay for maturity. I also play the 2 fingered barre chord for B. I find the Bb a little difficult so I bar the 6th fret and use the other shape sometimes