Topic: Cue the Banjo

Today I chaperone our church youth on a whitewater rafting trip on the Ocoee River. The challenge is the temperature is 64F - very cool for a Georgia August - and it's overcast with rain likely. I suppose we planned on getting wet anyway!
dj

Re: Cue the Banjo

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Cue the Banjo

I hope your group had a good time.

I've had a lot of fun on the Ocoee in years past.  The first time I yakked it in '82, my paddling buds and I were sitting below the dam waiting for the water release when a Cadillac with Texas plates pulled up and an older gentleman in a Stetson walked down to talk to us. He said "I don't know much about river running but don't you need more water to paddle those little boats?"  We explained that the dam release would begin shortly and we would have plenty of water in a short time.  We all got a big laugh out of it (including him).  Later that evening we attended the Ocoee River Festival and heard some great bluegrass music..

About 6-7 of us would strap our yaks to the roof racks and pile into an old Dodge van every spring and head south, usually hitting the Big South Fork, Emory-Obed system, Chattooga, Ocoee, French Broad and Nolichucky.  Since we only had one vehicle, each day one paddler volunteered to be the shuttle driver/camp cook, dropping off everyone at the put-ins and picking them up at the take-outs later in the day.  After the first few years I usually volunteered to be the shuttle driver on the Ocoee because it was so crowded that play boaters spent all their time dodging rafts, plus with the road running right next to the river I could spend most of the day being entertained watching the carnage from the road-side pull-offs.  Sure brings back some great memories. smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs