Topic: Electric Guitar Volume

Most people I talk to say always turn the guitar volume to max to get the best sound. Are there times when the guitar volume should be set at half or somewhere between half and full?
Thanks

Re: Electric Guitar Volume

It depends on what your trying to express musically if your playing death metal by all means turn the guitar all the way and crank the amp till the speakers rattle.Music is an expression of your emotions sometimes they are quiet and subdued other times they are uplifting and happy to be a good musician you have to control the volume not only with the volume knobs but with your pick this is why in sheet music they have crescendos and decrescendos and words in Italian like forte(loud) mezzo forte(medium) and pianimisio(quiet) and the same reason they have three pedals on a piano one to dampen one to sustain and one to sustain briefly.A good rule is if your singing don't drown out your vocal because your selling the lyrics and your voice not how loud your guitar can be if your playing with other musicians blend in once you master control over the volume you are playing at you will find much more enjoyment in music. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have always kept the knobs all the way up. Back in the 80s, I had an old telestar guitar "Fixed up". They needed a spot to put a toggle switch so I had the tone control removed. I would have had the volume removed if needed. Unless you need to turn it down and don`t want to get up, it may be useful. Then again, if you have to stop playing to listen to something, there would be no need to turn it down.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Many players crank their volume all the time and get a gain or volume boost using effects pedals.  I don't do that. 

I have my gain set really high on my pedals all the time and roll my guitar volume off to chill the sound out.  I do this either by turning guitar volume way down or by tapping my pickups. 

Then when it's solo time I turn up and let er rip.

One of the features that interested me in the VOX amp I have, is the ability to adjust the actual power output. That way, it can be run at full Volume and Master Volume to get the maximum benefit of the effects package, but at lower power and sound level my wife is less aggravated.

But ... everything changes when the house is empty!

Tenement Funster wrote:

One of the features that interested me in the VOX amp I have, is the ability to adjust the actual power output. That way, it can be run at full Volume and Master Volume to get the maximum benefit of the effects package, but at lower power and sound level my wife is less aggravated.

But ... everything changes when the house is empty!

I have a Fender DeVille 410 which is LOUD. But I use this little bugger in the effects loop, drive the preamp tubes up at 7-9, and then pull the output volume back down. That way you get nice hot tube sound without all the irritating hearing loss.

http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Custom-Guit … soak+pedal

Totally worth $40.

That's good signal routing, BGD ... yet another piece of gear on the wish list!

Or you could buy a Bugera 5 watt amp with the built in attenuator. .1 .3 and 5 watts.  At .1 I can roast the tubes at a pratice vol level. (I also run a MXR Full Bore into it to drive the tubes a bit more,or for a clean boost, I have an old Yamaha Compressor /Sustainer, I turn up the sustain and attack and pull down the output a bit, it really gives the clean a punch) smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Yes but then I couldn't be a fender through fender guy. *sniffle* sad

Plus I like having one amp that can go from solo practice to full band rehearsal to a gig....

There is something to be said for volume, though.   Guitars start to do odd and marvelous things when cranked up to 11.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Baldguitardude wrote:

Yes but then I couldn't be a fender through fender guy. *sniffle* sad

Plus I like having one amp that can go from solo practice to full band rehearsal to a gig....

We wont hold that against ya! LOLOLOL lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

jerome.oneil wrote:

There is something to be said for volume, though.   Guitars start to do odd and marvelous things when cranked up to 11.

But as TF noted,, when Im in the house alone,, all hades can break loose!

Back to the original question, there are times when it can be too loud, a lot of which depends on the venue. I recall a RUSH concert at the Halifax Metro Center several decades ago. The HMC only seats about 12,000, but it would seem the engineers had set the volume levels for a much larger place. As a result, a LOT of the actual music was just indistinguishable noise. When practicing at home, loud is good, but not so much that I have to stand in an opposite corner (facing away from the amp) to avoid feedback.

I'm in a fair sized house a decent distance from any neighbors and there's nobody home except my nephew (who also like to play) and for some reason I have yet to push to amp more than halfway with the guitar volume set at 3 or 4. There must be something wrong with me.

Shorter of breathe and one day closer to death.

i remember reading an interview with the band Slade back in the 70's. they said any up and coming band should get the loudest equipment they could afford. you can always turn it down in a small room, but if your amp is too small you cant turn it up in a big room. i've always gone by this and have a Peavy Bandit, 90 watts of pure sound. unfortunately the gigs i play these days dont allow me to turn up above 3. to get the sound i want at these low volumes i use a Boss ME 50 pedal. works for me. you dont have to deafen your self to get the sound you want.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Completely disagree. Need to run tubes hard to make them sound good.

Baldguitardude wrote:

That.  The whole point of tubes is to get them to distort.  That's when they sound fantastic.   If you aren't pushing the power envelope of the pre-amp and power amp, then you might as well run solid state.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

For 20 years in bars I ran my Fender Twin Reverb amp at 4 (out of 10) if I dared. It had to run that loud to sound it's best.
On my 1961 Gibson 330 with P-90 single wound pickups, I set my tone on 6 out of 10 and my Guitar volume at 8 1/2 to 9 so I could play rhythm at a balanced volume with the band. All I had to do was crank the volume up to 10 with my right pinky to play a lead solo.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Baldguitardude wrote:

That is when an attenuator is nice on a rig. drives the tubes but you can tone the volume down and get the break up,,, YET I don't mind a nice big head full of tubes getting natural dist either! big_smile