Topic: Blackbird guitars?

Hello - new to the site.  I've been reading the forum and it seems to me that it's one of the few forums out there where people aren't snarky or downright mean.

Anyway, I have been playing a $179 acoustic guitar for quite a while and want to upgrade.  I'll probably get a mid range Martin because I think they have such a warm sound.  But I was wondering if anyone has tried a carbon fiber guitar like a Rainsong or a Blackbird. 

Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Blackbird guitars?

Hi finnlander,and welcome too chordie,I really like the dog you got there. I have looked at some other sites and they can really be bad,we have good moderators here too keep it cleaned up and it is family friendly. I never tried out a blackbird or rainsong so I do not know. I do know if it feels and sounds like you like it you may want too get it.  I want a martin also so I am saving for it.right now I have two acoustics and love them both were cheap.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome to the best guitar site there is!  The closest I can come to eiter of thoes guitars are my ovations (well one is a Kamen, but that was Ovations parent company).  I wouldnt worry about cost. if it plays good and you like it then its good.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hey Finnlander - Welcome.

I looked into Rainsong guitars a while back. Carbon fiber guitars have a pretty good up side. They hold their tune better since they're made out carbon fiber and not wood. I got this one second hand from someone who owns one, but it makes sense to me because the carbon fiber is not quite as sensitive to the elements like wood guitars. They really have a great sound which I think is because there is no bracing like you get in wood guitars, so they are much louder. They're also quite light. I picked up a full size dred and almost dropped it because I was not expecting the weight difference. The down side to me is the cost which runs around $2k and up. I also kind of like the look of wooden guitars so I would miss that. Not an issue for me because I will not be in the market for a while. If you are interested I recommend go try one out and see for yourself.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Welcome Finlander,

If I remember correctly, Jeff (Topdown) has a Rainsong, so maybe he will pop in later and answer your query.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi finnlander and welcome to chordie!

I have a Composite Acoustics GXi guitar which I absolutely love. I bought it when I was traveling weekly to a fairly differing climate and was afraid to toss a decent wood guitar into the back of my truck. I would put the sound and playability amongst any guitar I have ever played. Traveled with her to NY a few weeks ago in checked baggage. Took it out of the case and she was perfectly in tune. Several other chordians can attest to the sound and playability of this guitar - I wouldn't trade it for anything.

http://www.caguitars.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks for all the great replies!  Now I'm really intrigued.  I'm heading to Nashville this weekend to see if I can find one in a music store.

I especially like the idea that they're loud.  I play bluegrass with some guys and the darn banjo players and fiddlers drown everyone out!  smile

Emerald is another manufacturer of carbon Fiber guitars and I believe they sell at a slightly less price point.

And oh yea - my guitar is LOUD - the offset soundhole adds so much bass. It's incredible - and the sustain lasts until tomorrow.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

One final note -

I went to a guitar shop.  Took a friend along so I wouldn't back out while writing out all those zeros on the check.

I bought a Martin d-15.  It sounds great and I plan to play a little louder at my next bluegrass circle.

Topdown - thank you so much for pointing out Emerald guitars!  I still want to get a CF guitar (after my bank account recovers) and I'm thinking Emerald.

Haven't heard the sound of the composites but would like to know how they are also.  You are fast buddy.  I was going to recommend a Martin since you were interested, but you went and bought one already.  The D15  is a fine instrument.  You will have nothing but happiness with it.  Good luck

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

finnlander wrote:

One final note -

I went to a guitar shop.  Took a friend along so I wouldn't back out while writing out all those zeros on the check.

I bought a Martin d-15.  It sounds great and I plan to play a little louder at my next bluegrass circle.

Topdown - thank you so much for pointing out Emerald guitars!  I still want to get a CF guitar (after my bank account recovers) and I'm thinking Emerald.

Congrats on the Martin d-15 good choice,someday I will get my Martin I just got too keep saving and stop getting gas for something else along the way.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman