Topic: 4 Old Doll

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Ark,Yes you are right this should be in Chats! It is difficult to ignore newcomers and their questions! But if you follow the thread you can see how it happens .Im sure i drive admin mad as i do this all the time. As it turned out i got the unexpected gift of 2 adopted grandchildren! so its all good! So ill see you next time in chats Ark! Dont be having to many thoughts! You will tire yourself needlessly! lol.Old Doll.

Hi Old Doll,
I have heard tell that too many thoughts can be dangerous. So one a week is about my limit. Just happened to be on Chordie when it occurred. I “thought  it was a good one but maybe not.

Must say I enjoy reading your posts and the regulars that contribute to all sections on Chordie. It has helped invigorate my interest in the Guitar and the old adage of  “You are never too old to learn to something new" springs to mind.

What part of the Emerald Isle do you hail from just curious? Don’t think you’ve said.

Ark.

Re: 4 Old Doll

Good Evening Ark,
I live  South of the  Famous River liffey!" Whiffey Liffey" we call it but only sometimes. www.dublinks.com
The brazen Head! Oldest pub, with great music! Johnny Foxes, Glen Cullen Highest pub! great music and food. Had some American friends here recently, and they loved both.  Massey Wood where i love to walk. I live at the foothills of the Dublin mountains. Blessington, Tallaght, Saggart Naas,Newbridge. all within a stones throw of my home. The scenery is fantastic.  Phoenix Park! And i love to walk Ballymount Park.   Dublin City! Fantastic place, but i prefer the more natural surroundings! Dolllymount Strand, The Bull wall, as you can see i become evangelical  about my Home place. Blessington lakes,where they flooded the whole village to make the waterworks. If we have a very very dry spell, and the water recedes, you can actually see the tops of some of the Buildings still. But the rain has been coming down without the buckets for the last month so we are keeping all our visitors supplied with "Free beautiful Irish Coffees" Delish! Well in my house there free! Now Ark, I bet your delighted you asked that question? I would talk the legs off a table! Any more questions? Bórd Fáilte take note! Im doing your job here! Anything for the ould sod!
So Fáilte Ark go " Baile à ta Cliáth.
Now wait till i get my guitar and i sing you an irish Ballad!
Sure your welcome bring everyone with you!
Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Old Doll,

Well I did ask and  yes I am quite delighted by your  most eloquent  and descriptive answer.

Certainly sounds a beautiful area the way you  have describe it.
Makes Essex seem rather drab then I don’t have your gift of a Silvery Irish tongue  to describe it smile

Cheers
Ark

Hi Ark,
I left out the best parts. Lunch time concerts in the concert hall! lovely way to have your break. Stevens Green, beautiful Park! around the cornor, Natural history Musuem{ my Favourite place } Grafton Street, Best shopping. Art Galleries surrounded by Magnificent Georgian buildings! Just for the record My favourite Artist is "Ted  Jones" He has Paintings called "The Seven Deadly Sins"
Some day i will own all of these paintings,  Its in my life plan!

Now Ark! food to die for from all around the world! Pub crawls, and you will be trying to unplait your legs after this one?. Literary walks. Great Buskers Mime artist, and the lovely Irish lilting voices of the flower Sellers. { My Favourites are Stargazers Lilys } Ah go on buy us a bunch? Sure havent i taken you on  great free tours 2 nights in a row!  Now are you lucky or what?

Essex is beautiful! My Cousin lives in Kent!  Dont worry i wont be visiting. I heard that big sigh of relief!  your so ungrateful! lol.
Have a good time on the forum! Ark..

Old Doll.

Hi Old Doll,
Sure sounds lovely. My maternal grandmother was an O'Brian. My Great-Grandparents came over from Ireland to Montreal. We have a huge Irish community here. Actually our St-Patricks' Day Parade is the oldest and longest running parade in North America. I hope to one day cross over to the Isle with my family and maybe visit some areas where some of my roots are from. As a credit to my grandmother,years ago I had a Shamrock tattooed over my heart. She always used to say that we were decendants of King Boru. Here parents were from the area around lake Boru. Last year on New Years Eve I met a young traveler in a pub who was from the same area. He started calling me his cousin and we had a grand time together. He sure could put away the Guinness!!!

an dtann ag lá álainn
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hi Mhebert,
first of all be glad your Gran moved? Or you would  be known as, Mick, mike, michael, mic, mikeen beag {small}
Mikeen Mór{big } some how does'nt have the same appeal as Michel!
Now you have to start saving now for your trip in the future. Your Ancesters are from a stunning place! I cant keep doing this on the forum,but i will tell you quickly! Dont drive around it! Hire a boat and take the whole area in! All the way on the Shannon. Been there done it. First time mid seventies, last time, 3 years ago! Fantastic! Old Locks, friendly lock keepers.  Pull in at loads of marinas, beautiful places steeped in history! Ancient writings, on ancient stones. Forts , towers,also the best area in the world  "The Burren" for its natural Flora and fauna.  Your gran is probably right when she says,"direct decendents"! as we are such a small nation,every one knows everyone! Michel we can drive from one end of this Island to the other in 4/5 hours. Except for the m50 motor way! That moves about half a mile a forthnight! "Planners"!!  Believe me i know, drive it most days! The music is not all "Didly Di as most people tend to think! We have a great selection! you just need to get the right Outlet?  {Pub}
www.shannonregiontourism.ie      You enter that link and type in "Lake boru" and Mickeen lad your home to the ould sod. Your Gran must be so proud of you?   "Shamrock! You big old softee! Enjoy...... Guinness! Theres plenty of it!
Slán and a lovely day or night to you also!
Old Doll.

Long Long way from Clare to Here.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5cyD3VD0sS4

Ah now, Sean Bhean... its a long way indeed from Clarey to anywhere and the last time I drove from Donegal to Cork, all in one day, which was only a few weeks ago, it took me 8 hours. Never done it in less than 7, so it really does depend from which side you leave and to which side you are going. But this is only an observation, not a dig at anybody!

You really should work for Bord Fáilte. And you could entertain at the same time smile

Clarey

8 (edited by Old Doll 2007-07-20 07:44:25)

Hi Clareausten.
  Yes your right, It takes me one and hours to get to County Down once i leave the toll bridge?. It used to take me 2/ half before the new motorways!
I drove from County Down after a festival last year, to Ardfert in kerry in 5 / half hours to rest on the beautiful Banna strand!. But  i partied their also!  7 Hours? did you take the back roads? or did you use James McCormicks Recumbent Bicycle?  It also depends on the time you leave!

The best human cry of Joy I ever heard! Was the "Clare Cry" in Croke Park, when Clare won the Munster Championship! Something else! So give us chordians a blast! Dont be shy now!!!

Are you sure your Not My old Pal "Shaun Bán Brannacht"taking the Michael?

Sleep Well Mó Cára.

Sleepy Old Doll.

Hiya Old Friend ( I can't bring myself to call you Old Doll!),

sorry for absence... Dad was ill... Mum was ill... went to Portugal for 2 weeks to catch up with my wandering man and do some work (gigs!) and have just settled back in the old flat again. Phew!

Sounds like you had a good trip last year. I upgraded the bicycle for a Fiat Seicento which is a wee dote of a car but not built for the Circuit of Ireland. Cars are just a means of transport to me, I'd rather spend money on guitars and musical stuff. I did once, in the olden days, travel from Donegal to Cork and back in one day. Myself and a friend took off to deliver a package, dropped it off and came home via Dublin to see the Tall Ships. On the road for 16 hours. Wish we'd filmed it... great fun.

No, I'm definitely not your old mucker but am glad to have the pleasure of your company in here. Take the Michael? I take a hand at everyone I meet. You would know, really know, if you did know me.

Got a load of unpacking to do - bleugh! - but better get on with it. Bought some stamps today and was pleasantly surprised to find GAA images on them. Haven't been to a game for aeons. But "Clare go brea!!" and all that jazz.

Anyway, hope all well with you. Am a little tired as was poking around on the Damien Rice forum until late last night. One of the most horrible places I have ever been. Never met such a bunch of vulgar forumites. Am glad to be back with the Chordaroonies again.

Clarey smile

Conás Ata Tu! Clareausten,
I was thinking that you were walking fom Kerry to Donegal to prove a point!!lol.
Ive been on the new" Newery Motor way" since we last spoke! Fantastic!
Your their before your finished whistling Dixie.. I took my annual visit to the Fiddlers Green Festival! Took a wee trip to Omagh to the Ulster/American Folk Park, Nestled at the foot of the Sperrins Mountains. Thought id died and was in heaven such is the beauty of the place! Well worth the visit.....Sure its wonderful how they have restored there Heritage, after the terrible Bombing they had..The Hearts of the people are alive and well!
I hope your Parents  are now in the whole of there health?...
Portugal! you could have Visited{ Roger Guppy} one of the admin here! He is always looking for people to visit. A friendly Guy with a vast repretoire of songs.
I have a Great Memory of a beautiful summers evening, Like a picture in my head of the "Tall Ships leaving Dun Laoghaire Harbour" There great big billowing Sails heading off to exotic places!
You see Clareaustin my life is like a slideshow of all The best bits. If i dont write about them, I talk about them!
I am Going away to a wedding on Saturday!
But will travel back for the Dublin/Kerry match on Sunday!  Come on The Dubs!
Now i know as a Clarey! You agree with me? Lol.
Welcome back to the  "Global Chordie Class People and Musicians"
Slán
Old Doll

I'm an Irish descendant too and was TRYING to trace my roots for some time, but my dad's side is so secretive(Quinn) that I got no where and gave up. I did however enjoy reading all your descriptions and chatter about Ireland,Old Doll. I think my family hailed from Donegal...not sure tho.

HAVE YOU
     HUGGED YOUR GUITAR
                                 TODAY??

Hi Kath,
good to hear from you! you have been in my thoughts!
Your Ancestors Name Quinn i think is from the West of Ireland?  Around the Lough Conn..  I do have a book somewhere about Irish Names! When i get the time i will check this out for you and fill you in! Ok.
Its fascinateing to do your family tree. I discovered  some 80 years ago one of my ancestors was a broadway Actress! One of her relations has spoken to me on the phone! So not to many skeletons in the cubbards? Probably buried them all outside? Lol.
I will do this for you and be in touch!
Keep Strong and most of all be happy.

Barróga agus Póga { Hugs and Kisses}

Slán
Old Doll.

Hey Old Doll,
I Enjoy reading your posts.  I have no Irish ancestery but I have been often told that Samoans (thats me) are the IRISH OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC !  I wonder why?
Talofa Lava,
Lamoni

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

14 (edited by Old Doll 2007-08-23 09:04:50)

Hi DonCorleone,
Well with a name like yours i thought you were head of the Mafia in Italy?lol
Instead your in the beautiful Pacifics! you lucky person you!
I dont know the answer to your question? But i have heard this expression before. When ive had some sleep i will give my brain a good old raking over! I do know this though!! I only heard  today on the radio!
That  the Connacht  Coach, has taken on a player called Ray Ofisa? or something like that!! Im sure they said he was Samoan!! and a flanker which i think is to do with rugby?
Now as your near Newzealand Isnt that where the All blacks are from? Great Rugby players!
Good Night Now.
Slán
Old Doll.

Hey'  Hope your sleep was good LOL
I am Samoan but I live in New Zealand ! And yes Ofisa is playing over your way.  The reason the All Blacks are a good team is because of all the Samoans in the team !!!! LOL.
My maternal grandmothers maiden name was McQueen not sure if that is Irish or Scottish?
I had a friend who once went to Ireland for a holiday.  He has never come back, married, settled down and now has a big family.  Something must so beautiful over there!!

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Hi Don Corleone,
Yes i did sleep well thank you! when i start writing i forget all about time and the world!
I did see the All blacks on a few occasions! I love there famous " Haka! My Son who has traveled a lot has been to Fiji! North of the islands! which is near you Samoans! He also loved Newzealand! He has traveled quite extensively, and i have many lovely gifts from these exotic places. My favourite being! A huge hand made beautiful Didgeridoo from Australia.  Ive been to see The Aussie Rules here as my son is a referee! No name calling now! TE HE! There pussy cats on the pitch compared to the all blacks!
So you have a friend here? Its the Cailíns beguiling ways that keep the visitors here! Magical powers and potions. lol
I think as islanders we are probably alike. Cut off for so long from the mainlands. We welcome everybody. Apart from being social were also a nosey lot.. Now Don anytime you feel like swopping for a year, i would endure the golden sands and blue lagoons of Samoa and you would be so welcome to our beautiful "at the moment rain sodden" Emerald isle!

Your name is found all over Scotland and Northern Ireland! Some reading for you! through this link!

http://www.new.co.za/~mcqueen/origins.html

Slán
Old Doll.

Well, well mhebert has Irish roots. I love Montreal, Quebec and all the St. places around Montreal. My sisters lived there 25 years ago, to learn and to dance as ballerina. This was my first big holiday trip: far (and yet so close) probably because Montreal is together with Quebec the most European city in North America.
But about language: do you speak French? I know, that in Montreal they have a "language"police.
In the old part, at the river, where all those beautiful shops are, they enter your shop anonymous and they are very difficult if you, being owner, start to speak English!!! It's even worse as here in Belgium. We had elections on Juin the 10th, and still no government, because of 1 woman, named MILQUET, refuses to agree with the program (but I am also convinced that the guy who is responsible now to form a government want so badly being the prime minister)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I love this place, you never know who's going to pop in!! Samoans - don't know many of you yet. People with family roots in Donegal - I can point you in the right direction as I helped to set up the leading family heritage research project in the county over 20 years ago. We got to examine all the parish registers and there was interesting stuff in there. Unfortunately confidential, I could tell you but then I'd have to "terminate" you. We only worked up to 1900 to preserve the privacy of living folks but there are soooo many records of all types. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't locate something for you.

Anyway.... Greetings all and especially to our leader... the esteemed Old Doll. Hope you're all either out on the town having loads of fun or getting some shut-eye.

I've just been planning my trip tomorrow to marlay park and remembered that its your home turf! Wish I'd thought of it sooner, you'd have been able to give me a lamp-post by corner description of how best to get there. And maybe I could have planted my tent in your front garden. Then we could have gone busking together. Damien Rice and KT Tunstall, I bet they've got nothing on us!

Am SOOOO excited to be going to a gig and not have to do any work.

I will not be a roadie!
I will not have to fix guitars!
I will not play or sing!
I won't even have to shake my egg or stomp on my tambo!
Whoo - hoo!!!

If anyone else is going, hope you have a super time. We're going to be in Punchestown early sept for a show, maybe we can go busking then around blessington or in the wicklow hills? You've got to point us in the right direction of all those wonderful recreational establishments too.

Have a great weekend, will report on KT and DR soon.

Clarey smile

Hey ClareAustin,
Family Trees etc are really cool.  Our Samoan ancestry was usually passed down orally.  My grandmother, could sit for hours telling who belonged to who and who went where and where.  Unfortuately, no one bothered to record anything and most of our family history was lost when she died. A few years ago one our old people in the family did a really good job and traced our surname back to Portugal.  Funny thing was that the first offical record of our family stated that the person was listed as a buccaneer!!  He must've liked Samoa, cos we been there ever since!
Hey Old Doll thanks so much for the site you posted about McQueen.  Brilliant.  Thank you.

Hey Don Corleone, that's sad, the history has been lost with your ancestors. The Irish were the same, stories were passed down through families, there were official story tellers and even the way people were named told of family history, it wasn't unusual for a boy to be named after his father, grandfather, greatgrandfather etc and there were probably a few place names involved too.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in all the 10 years I have spent to date in Portugal... I ain't never come across anyone called Corleone!! Must be your screen name eh? Portugal is a fabulous country, I miss it so much, and my little cottage and my cats and half of my guitars. Working hard to get back there soon.

Have you been to Portugal? Have you heard their music? Come to think of it, what's Samoan music like? Maybe you could point me to a website or two. Or we could look for bucanneer music!

Hurrah for a life on the wave! I really must get some sleep.... zzzzzzzz

Soon smile

Hi Clareausten,
Sorry i missed you for Marley! But i was in the beautiful Royal County of Meath
for the W/E. And a great time was had by all!
I live about 10 minutes from the famous Marley Park! They have a great Farmers Market there at the W/E.  I f you have been in Portugal, then you have to have had Olives there? Well Marley sell the best Olives, all Kinds from around the world, and Home made Cheese to die for! They also sell  the most beautiful hand made Silver Jewelery..

I hope you had a great time there!

Don Corleone may have been to Portugal? But i meant Chordies own" Roger Guppy"! I have spoken to Roger! He has no problem connecting with you and Shareing  whatever you choose to. He loves Portugal so dont be shy! Lol

And what can i say about the Match on Sunday? The best Team won on the day! We did put up a good fight, so roll on next year! We had great music and celebrations!

Slán

Old Doll.

Hey Guys,
No Don Corleone is my 'nickname' !  My family name is: Fidow.  No I have never been to Portugal but I have been to Brazil a few times where Portugese is the language.
Try this site for a explaination of traditional Samoan music.  But these days just about any music is played and performed.
http://www.janeresture.com/samoa_music/index.htm

23 (edited by Old Doll 2007-08-30 15:10:44)

Hi Don Corleone,

I switched on my PC at 7 this morning to check my work for today! 2 hours and some later, i was still in my Jammies with nothing done. That link  by Jane Resture is beautiful and informative. I can see how your called the Irish of the Pacifics!....Your early legends and Mythology is so very like our own in some ways.  Story telling to keep every one reminded of history is fantastic!  We also have them still here, known as " Seánchái Sceála" Story Teller.. My Favourite of ours has always been The Children of Lir " When you read this, you will see the connection.
Your People are beautiful to the eye! I would have known the Dancing, so elegant and Sensual.  ButI could not get my european tongue around the names, but still enjoyed it any way

http://www.ireland-information.com/arti … noflir.htm

You have fantastic radio stations! Listening to" Let your Love Flow" by The Bellamy Brothers in your native tongue, and The Beatles Song, "I Saw her Standing There" So many to numerous to mention! I was seat dancing at that hour of the Morning! My Son popped his head around my door and wanted to know "was there a Party going on?" lol.
The radio links led me to "MR Poboy" and " Big Ol Woman" Cajun/Zydeco from Radio  NewOrleans. Fantastic. Best early morning by far.I was wishing it was night time so i could party!!.

The first musical instruments your people used sound like the Pan Pipes to me? I was in "Mijas" Spain last year, way up in the mountains" I came across people who looked like American Indians, But were Argentine! They were playing these pipes, Like hollowed bamboo. The sound was intoxicating! I do have Cds of this music, but to see them being played was great!
We would also use Coconut oil here in our hair, But im afraid we will never have the beautiful hair your woman have!

So Don Corleone Sorry to go on, But you can tell i didnt enjoy that link at all!!! As good as a holiday that was!
One question Why the name Don Corleone? When you could have used a beautiful old Samoan Name?

Sláinte agus Go Maire Tu! { Good Health and May you live long }

Old Doll.
A big Beautiful Butterfly { Red Admiral} has just come through the window and landed on my PC. Ah yes! life is good Don Corleone..

Hey Old Doll,

I do miss my olives!! I'd drive to the end of the world for a good olive and some home made cheese. Will have to try soon. Am just back from a 3 day trip to Carlow. Worked hard there and am a little jaded, but will try to keep up.

Roger has contacted me and I sent a quick reply back as I was heading out the door in a rush. But yes, great to strum along with fellow Chordonians everywhere. He's in a lovely part of Portugal.

Have just got Pacific Islands Radio on, looking forward to heariing it! Thank you, Don Corleone, for an introduction to something new. Oh this is going to be funny... hearing a melody that's familiar but not recognising the lyrics! Better get a glass of vinho...

The pan pipe south americans are everywhere! They do a great job of entertaining folks. I'll tell you a funny story. We were out for a dander one evening in the Algarve and the boys were getting set up for a street session. Lots of onlookers. One man (tourist) turned round to me and said;

"Jeez, isn't that great. look at them. All the way from the Peru, or some other foreign place. Isn't that amazing. I wonder how they got here?"

"Huh?" says I.

"How'd they get over here? Did they come by boat or something?"

"Probably took a plane, like yourself" says I.

"Oh" he said. It went over his head slightly.

"Aren't they great?" says I.  "Playing traditional South American amplified instruments?"

"Huh?"

"Yeah, those pan pipes. They invented them" says I

"Aren't they the boys!" he replied.

"And d'ya see that Stratocaster there, they invented that too" I told him.

"The wha'?"

"The Stratocaster. Looks like some class of guitar" I replied.

"Go away! They never did! Would you look at that! Mary! Did ye hear that? They invented that Strato-yoke over there. And brought it with them!!!"

... sleep well folks. There's a weekend ahead of us!

Clarey smile

Hi Old Doll and Clareaustin,
Right Where do I start !!  Firstly, the name Don Corleone, well it was given to me by some old army guys I served in Asia with as they reckoned I was the Godfather!  And the nickname just stuck. My real name is (well I have several, hard to explain but in English) Ray Fidow.  In Samoan, its Lamoni Niko Fidow.
The South Amercians do seem to be resemble Polynesians, some anyway.  I was in Argentina a few times and quiet often got mistaken for a local.  Some of the traditions are very similar as are some of the musical instruments.  In Peru and Chile, I found that some of the words to describe certain things as very similar too.
I am glad you enoyed the Islands radio.  Some of the traditional music relies very much on harmonies between the male and female range of voices.  But yeah, we tend to sing about anything and everything.  I have written a few "Island beat songs" and when I work out how to post them I will!!!
Clareaustin, I am not sure where you live but I have loved this site as it takes me to many places around the world with all you fellow music lovers.  So Cool.
It is Fathers Day here, so I am off to await all those lovely presents my children will bring to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!  New guitar, amp, ........................yeah right !
Talofa Lava Soifua,
Ray