Topic: hey what's your fav. song to play

what is your favorite song to play on the accoustic??? i need to learn new songs.........any suggestions.....i'm a begginer

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

Re: hey what's your fav. song to play

Desperado by the Eagles....there are some barre chords in there, but it's VERY slow (half note strumming sounds great), it's a beautiful song, and it gives you practice on a dencent amount of chords
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

A few of my other easy favorites include:
House of the Rising Sun by The Animals
A couple other songs by the Eagles (Take it Easy and Tequila Sunrise)
Lodi by CCR
My Sweet Lord by George Harrison
Let It Be by The Beatles
Losing My Religion by REM
Hurt by Johnny Cash
Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
American Pie by Don McLean

If you have a capo...
Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen
The Scientist by Coldplay

If you like fingerpicking
The Wind by Cat Stevens

If you would like links to any of those as well, let me know, but I thought it'd look a little crazy if I put them all on there

Oh, and since your name is Jessica, perhaps you would like Jessica by the Allman Brothers (although you will probably just be able to play bits and pieces of it if you're a beiginner)

it changes but right now it is mystery train and thats all right both done by elvis presley which I have merged into one song

what a long strange trip it's been

At the Moment,  Allison Moorer, " Soft Place to Fall".   "California Blue" Roy Orbison.    " Goin Gone" Nancy Griffitts.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

i love to play country roads, its the first song i learnd  and still play it every day

Hi,

I've always enjoy playing "The streets of London"  by Ralph Mc Tell.

Also I like to play "Perfect day" by Lou Reed.

and nice and simple "Greensleeves" purported to be by Henry VIII

Ark

Theres so many i like playing its hard to pick a favourite but i do like desperado. Ca n i just ask Wormproof what half note strumming is, because i've often wondered how to strum that.

I don't have a favorite.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

hopeful wrote:

Theres so many i like playing its hard to pick a favourite but i do like desperado. Ca n i just ask Wormproof what half note strumming is, because i've often wondered how to strum that.

Hiya hopeful,

For half note strumming, it's just strumming half notes.  A half note is two beats.  Since there are 4 beats per measure, you usually strum each chord twice before moving on to the next one (there are a few exceptions in the tab i linked to.  The G to B7 and A7 to D7 at the end of the chorus are one strum each and the D to D7 at the beginning is usually 3 D's and 1 D7...or at least the way I hear it it is).  I don't think half note strumming is a technical musical term (like eighth note strumming).  Heck, if you want to do eight note strumming it' be down miss miss miss down miss miss miss , but that's kind of unnecessary on this song smile

i like to play alot and the ones i find myselff playing alot are
-heart shaped box by nirvana
-keilbasa by tenacious D
-tonight im gunna rock you tonight by spinal tap
-dream on by aerosmith
-ace of spades by motorhead
-killing in the name of by rage against the machine
-sweet child o' mine by guns n roses
-mother by danzig
-smoke on the water by deep purple

Depending on your taste in music, here are some fairly easy songs I started out with:

The Drugs Don't Work - Verve
Wonderwall - Oasis
Up On The Roof - Carole King
This Boy - The Beatles
Only You - Yazoo
I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
Perfect Day - Lou Reed (a bit more difficult-but worth it when you can actually play it!!)
Handbags and Gladrags - Stereophonics
Everybody's Talkin' - Fred Neil
Echo Beach - Martha & the Muffins
Because the Night - Patti Smith (such a great song).

Have Fun!

Some of my fav's are

City Of New Orleans- Arlo Guthrie

Can't You See- Matt Minglewood's version

You've Got A Friend- James Taylor

Out On The Mira- John Allen Cameron

Workin Man- Merle Haggert

Don't Think Twice- Bob Dylan

Plain Ole Miner Boy- Men Of The Deeps

Just a few there are many more.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

I love to play these songs:-

1 Knocking on Heavens Door

2 Let it Be

3 Tequila Sunrise

4 Soldier of Fortune

5 Country Roads Take Me Home

and so on and on ...................................

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

Thanks you guys soooo much !!!!!!!!!!.......I'm sure this will give me a good selection big_smile !!!!! ....I really do appreciate it........

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

wormproof101 wrote:
hopeful wrote:

Hiya hopeful,

For half note strumming, it's just strumming half notes.  A half note is two beats.  Since there are 4 beats per measure, you usually strum each chord twice before moving on to the next one (there are a few exceptions in the tab i linked to.  The G to B7 and A7 to D7 at the end of the chorus are one strum each and the D to D7 at the beginning is usually 3 D's and 1 D7...or at least the way I hear it it is).  I don't think half note strumming is a technical musical term (like eighth note strumming).  Heck, if you want to do eight note strumming it' be down miss miss miss down miss miss miss , but that's kind of unnecessary on this song smile

Thankyou very much for the explanation wormproof.

16 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-19 16:01:18)

Considering I can only play a few songs, it's not a hard one to figure.  I started playing guitar so that I could sing "I'm Going to Love You Forever" by Randy Travis to my wife on our 20th anniversary.  Well, that and I felt like it.  But she's heard me practice it so many times now that I don't think it'll be all that special.  It's still a lot of fun to play. 

Some others I enjoy:

Louisiana Saturday Night - Mel McDaniel
My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson
Down at the Twist and Shout - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Tin Cup Chalice - Jimmy Buffett
Another Saturday Night - Sam Cooke

I do NONE of these like the covers.  Not because I have anything against covers, but covers are done by professional musicians and I'm not of that calibre.  So I play them the way they're fun for me.  Some may say "cop-out" and others will say "arrangement."  I say "fun." 

I just downloaded "Good Hearted Woman" by Willie and Waylon.

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of heavy metal music...  (so long as the metal is in a Ford truck)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"Wild World" by Cat Stevens.
It's the first song I did that made me feel like I had accomplished something and the first time someone said, "Hey, I know that song!" 
"Father and Son" is easy too! Both songs are beautiful and favorites of mine!

I'm also a beginner
my favourite songs that helped me to learn:

"good riddance" by Green Day
"try" by Nelly Furtado
"skin" by Alexz Johnson

Knockin on heavens door-Bob Dylan
Stair way to heaven-Led Zeplin (the chords)

So Red Delicious

Teenagers by My Chemical Romance. (if you dont like the nu-metal MCR think again, this song is TOTALLY 70's punk). There are no decent tabs online for it though, Ill post the tabs for it eventually.

Ok, they're not challenging songs, but I love to bust out a little Folsom Prison Blues...kick it up a notch, fun song to play.  Keep on Rokin' in the Free World is fun to bust out....other end of the spectrum, capo 5, over the rainbow is fun too.  Oh, Hot Legs--little Rod Stewart...and while we're at it, Stay with Me...good stuff...

the one and only
                             PATIENCE by Guns N Roses

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle

trippy wrote:

i love to play country roads, its the first song i learnd  and still play it every day

Thanks Trippy.  I saw this and it reminded me of the song.  I'm heading down to West Virginia in a couple weekends for a fishing trip and have been working on this one.  It's the sort of a fishing trip where just about everyone along does it every year and it is a lot like home for all of us, so the lyrics will register well (even if the playing around the campfire isn't so good). 

And you're right.  It is a fun song to play.  I'm having a little trouble getting the hang of the timing on changing chords in the bridge, but otherwise it came out pretty well right from the start.  Working on a fingerpick pattern for it now but stand ready to more or less play it strumming. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

All I can do is write about it- by Lynyrd SKynyrd
The rhythms pretty simple but it still helps build up your strumming and chord switching skills

All You Need is Love smile

LOL ummm....

missy higgins - steer
greenday - time of your lifee
weezer - island in the sun!

heee heee