Topic: Could use some prayers / positive vibes

My Brother in Law, Gary has been in the hospital since Friday with meningitis. Cause / type is still unknown, prognosis is anywhere from full recovery to death. Scary stuff and my sister is (understandingly) kinda freaking out. He's a pretty young guy, mid 40's with a teenage kid. Without knowing the cause, the docs are apparently just bombarding him with all known treatments. He seems to have good and bad times / one minute being fairly cohesive, the next he doesn't even realize who my sister is.

I'd appreciate any info about meningitis from any chordians who have had any experience with it. And of course, healing thoughts to Gary in Raleigh would be also be welcomed.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Could use some prayers / positive vibes

Thats not good tops I hear it can be pretty bad,myself I do not know much about it. The good thing is he is young and has family and friends around. I will put him in my prayer list and hope for the best for all of you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Payers going out for Gary and his family!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

for   topdown
Margarator, well loks like I came to the right place, not trying to offend anyoen with this but,  Lord You are almighty, all knowing and evr present in our lives, I want to lift up topdown's brother n l;aw Gary right now who is suffereing from menengitus, Father I do not know you exact will here but I do know that many things that happen in our lives are just a prayer away  from being taklen care of, afetr all you told them, by their faith they are healed. Be the god of all confort for everyone here because you know all too well how it is when our loved ones suffer. Heal Gary, and comfort thos who love him, in your name, amen

Thank you preacher priors, I truly appreciate the power and message you share. Welcome to chordie.

Thanks dino and z for you positive thoughts as well. I am not a very religious guy, but I do believe positive thoughts have the power to heal!

Prayers coming you way now. I have no info on meningitis, but I understand your wanting to help your brother. Hang in there.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Sunshine and good vibrations sent to your brother!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Prayers and well wishes for Gary and his family.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'll pray for Gary. As far as meningitis goes, if he has lived since Friday with it, he's doing pretty well. I hope that is encouraging news.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thoughts and prayers going Gary's way from here in Ohio.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

TD, don't know what to say other than I am thinking about you and your family. We are all wishing you the best.

Nela

Prayers going out to your brother in law.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

preacher_priors wrote:

for   topdown
Margarator, well loks like I came to the right place, not trying to offend anyoen with this but,  Lord You are almighty, all knowing and evr present in our lives, I want to lift up topdown's brother n l;aw Gary right now who is suffereing from menengitus, Father I do not know you exact will here but I do know that many things that happen in our lives are just a prayer away  from being taklen care of, afetr all you told them, by their faith they are healed. Be the god of all confort for everyone here because you know all too well how it is when our loved ones suffer. Heal Gary, and comfort thos who love him, in your name, amen

I agree.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Lots of thoughts and good vibes going out for your family Jeff.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

good vibes and thoughts going out to your brother in law and family hope he is better soon .

My oldest son (31 yrs of age) was struck down with bacterial meningitis in July 2012, so my wife and I dd a lot of reading about it and praying for Luke ... both were helpful.

Apparently the bacterial form is more aggressive and potentially deadly than the viral, but he got excellent care and made a full recovery in about 4-6 weeks. The bacterial strain seems to attack the spinal chord, causing initial stiffness in the neck and super-intense headaches. Along with the spinal inflammation is the speech and cognitive impairment you describe ... almost like being drunk or on hallucinogens. All of this, and from your use of the word "bombard", it sounds like your brother-in-law has the same kind. They'll pound him for several weeks with high-dosage antibiotics, and won't stop until they can't grow anything in his blood. He's likely under quarantine at the moment, and they'll maintain that until he's no longer contagious.

14 months later, our Luke has no after effects and is back running his construction company at full tilt. The first few weeks are critical, but it sounds as if Gary's getting the right type of treatment. It's fortunate that they diagnosed it time to get treatment going. The outlook wouldn't be so positive in a lot of third world countries ... we are blessed indeed!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and especially TF for your info. It is good to know that even after 4-6 weeks, your son fully recovered with no effects.

They still don't know what the root cause is in Gary's case. 90 % of these cases are caused by infection, but they cannot find any bacterial, fungal, or viral reason.  All tests have been negative. He has responded well to steroid treatments - but that is only treating the symptoms, not the cause. My sister is getting ready to transfer him to Duke - Some of the best medical care in the world is available a few miles away - she might as well take advantage of it. My Mom and son both were treated for cancer at Duke and the care is world class.

I hope the best for your brother and it all goes well

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hi Jeff. So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. All the very best to him - I hope that treatment is progressing well...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Best wishes to your brother in law and also to you and your family. Not easy times but fingers crossed for a happy ending. Plenty of positive thoughts coming your way from scotland TD.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Thanks again everyone, they've been at Duke for a few days now, initially the Duke docs were thinking Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus - now after some tests that even seems unsure. The next step seems to be possibly installing a shunt to do a lumbar drain. Seems even the Duke docs are stumped - my sister is hanging in there, we've been through a lot of serious illness in our family and that experience must be allowing her to hold on to some sense on sanity.

Terriblyunfortunate situation. Please let me know if there is anything to be done that will help you or your sister.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Topdown;

Just wondering how your brother-in-law is making out? You first posted about his situation about 4 weeks ago, and here's hoping the treatments have made a positive difference.

All the best, buddy!

Little change in his condition and he has the docs at Duke baffled. They are no longer calling it meningitis, but they have no idea what it is. 2 weeks in Duke ICU now and they are consulting with docs around the word for "strange cases". Thanks for asking!

Prayers from Georgia.
dj