Topic: Help!

I just got a self install kit for a wireless network and I can pretty much do all of it except it says too use my WPA button on my computer after I press the one on my Modem. any help will by good here.  ( kind of strange I am at my guitar site asking this).   p.s. my server for that computer is Comcast

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Help!

I'm thinking it means the click on the WPA button on the screen during the install.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

just call comcast and they will walk you through it.  I think they are talking about the button on your laptop that should have a picture of an antenna on it. on my dell its the F2 button you hold teh function button (Fn) and tap F2 and your wifi light should come on.

when in doubt, call comcast.  they helped me put in a new 3.0 modem and that took us about an hour on the phone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Yeah, there's no WPA button on your computer itself.  You may need to open up the thing about setting up a new network and walk though that, tell it you're using the button on the router and push it when the computer tells you to.  Good luck!  If the router isn't from comcast then they will NOT walk you through it for free (unless the tech is nice).  Let us know how you make out.  If you don't get it and still need help shoot me an email and I might be able to help you out sometime tomorrow.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for all the replys,the new modem is not using a router I am guessing it is built in or going through the cable. I am not sure at this point so I will check with them,they want too charge me a lot of money too be on the phone so I would like too figure it out.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I may be way off track here, but aren't modems built into your PC's these days? Modems are only used if you have a dial up service, which means you don't have broad band!

If you go to the signal strength icon on the bottom right of your screen, left click and a dialog box will appear which says; troubleshoot problems or open network sharing center. click on the latter which will allow you to set up a network or add to your network. you may need passwords and the network key which will be on the router.

That's how I set up my wireless network, will it be different in the US from the UK?

Let us know how you get on.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

I may be way off track here, but aren't modems built into your PC's these days? Modems are only used if you have a dial up service, which means you don't have broad band!

If you go to the signal strength icon on the bottom right of your screen, left click and a dialog box will appear which says; troubleshoot problems or open network sharing center. click on the latter which will allow you to set up a network or add to your network. you may need passwords and the network key which will be on the router.

That's how I set up my wireless network, will it be different in the US from the UK?

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your input phil,they call it a modem it also runs my phone and other things. I have never used wirelless so this is all new too me. I was told it is broadband by the company. I will try tomarrow and see how I do. I watched too much football today.

I recently installed a new modem. Go to the web site of your modem manufacturer, they usually have a step by step guide to installation for your model

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Sounds like it's what we call a "telephony modem" or an eMTA or even more, if it has wifi then it's a "new one" - It's a cable modem that brings in telephone and internet.  Many of them did not used to be wireless, this is a "new" offering by the cable companies in the past year or so.  If it has a wpa button and "bunny ears" than it has wireless capabilities, but the cable companies generally charge extra for the wireless service and even though you CAN do it, you may not be ABLE to if they haven't charged you for that service.  Since the modem belongs to the cable company, they should be able to help you with basic troubleshooting and get it set up, however they will claim that they can't "fix" your computer without charging you.  It's a lovely catch-22 that all the companies are doing now to try to make money and use their techs to just sell more rather than fix more (I did this line of telephone tech support work last year). 

Here's comcast's online guide to setting up your wifi with their modems:  http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-su … s-network/  Refer to the bottom of the page where it says "Connect with a manual setup".  GOOD LUCK!!  smile

I've been through similar setup problems and I ALWAYS DO WHAT BEAMER MENTIONED. Call Comcast and they should take you through it.  Or go grab the first teenager you find and they'll help you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

Or go grab the first teenager you find and they'll help you.

Groucho Marx: "It's so easy a five year old could understand.  Someone go get a five year old!"

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That's it in a nutshell Zurf.  LOL Groucho had some outstanding quotes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

13 (edited by dino48 2013-10-01 01:25:28)

It did and did not. with all your input and mkm's website I put all toghther and got it up and running BUT guess what that was only the internet. The phones did not work!! I could not call them too activate everything,so I had to switch back to the old modem box. Then I went to the customer support phone and got cut off 5 times. I will never use a bundeled program again! I dicided to wait and call tomarrow as I was to mad today I do not know if I will keep Comcast or not. I am still using my dial up Netzero on this computer. .  and it is slow but good.

There's a lot of "tricks" to getting the phone working on the cable company's end.  It's highly likely that the person who set it up in the computer didn't do everything right.  You'll have to get someone on the line that has a brain.  Also, you have to go through an authorization process with a different company - if that didn't go "perfectly" your phone service won't go through and they'll have to have you go through it again.  If you're stuck at that point, make sure the cable company tells you EXACTLY how they spelled your name and address in the system before they transfer you to the third party for authorization.  That's usually the number one reason phone service doesn't go through if everything else is right (and everything else is usually NOT right in the system).  I'm sure it's the computers and poor training of the folks on the other end of the phone, not you.  Also, they have to have already sent a tech out to remove a physical filter in your line outside.  Someone may have forgotten to order that as well.  There's so many things that can go wrong with setting up phone service.  I wasn't trained right, but figured most of it out eventually.  In the mean time, I was being reprimanded for not "selling" enough phone service, all because every one I tried to set up didn't go through (because of the poor training).  THAT is why I quit that job before they fired me for their stupidity.  Sadly, all the cable companies are the same (and guess what?  75% of the people you talk to on the phone aren't even working directly for the company but instead for a third party company - outsourced - and that's why their training sucks.  I'm a perfect example.) 

To be honest, the people who USUALLY can fix it for you are those in the sales department because they can override a lot of the computer codes... unfortunately, getting someone from sales on the line after you've been sold is difficult as they'll undoubtedly want to transfer you to tech support.  Again, GOOD LUCK!!!  Maybe my insight can help you navigate the BS.  wink

Amy thanks for the information,I am getting an education with all this mess. I called them back and they can not send someone out till the 16th of October!!! I checked my account and  it ends November 21st. I am looking  for another provider I will never get another bundeled acct. with any phone service included. I can see why you quit! I did not want too go back there yesterday as I did not want too loose it on one of the people who answer the phone,they are not at fault.

I'm soooooo glad I live in the UK (where computing is concerned). I thought our telecommunication networks were money grabbing fat cats, seems like US ones are even worse.

FYI; I bought a new 7 inch tab Monday, had a hell of a bargain, full cost £119.00, but with Tesco vouchers it only cost me £9 !!!!! brill! When I got it home I couldn't get it linked up to my wireless network. I was on the brink of taking it back when I realised I'd miss read one letter of the network key, it took me two pairs of glasses to be able to see it right, but everythings working great now.

Anyone know if Hudl's come with anti virus, or do I need to down load one?

Phill Williams wrote:

I'm soooooo glad I live in the UK (where computing is concerned). I thought our telecommunication networks were money grabbing fat cats, seems like US ones are even worse.

FYI; I bought a new 7 inch tab Monday, had a hell of a bargain, full cost £119.00, but with Tesco vouchers it only cost me £9 !!!!! brill! When I got it home I couldn't get it linked up to my wireless network. I was on the brink of taking it back when I realised I'd miss read one letter of the network key, it took me two pairs of glasses to be able to see it right, but everythings working great now.

Hi phil,the providers here are really bad,they do not let you know the real deal till they got you signed up.  Sounds like you got a great deal. I think Russell got a good free anti virus tool somewhere,I do not know that for sure. You may want too e-mail him too find out.

Phill Williams wrote:

Great deal phil , nice to get get something back from the big companies , avg do a good free anti virus for tabs and mobiles

thanks one, down loaded AVG and all is fine. i now run AVIRA on my PC, another free anti virus on my laptop and AVG on my tablet! life is great if you don't have to pay....ha ha ha (dances away singing; "busy paying nothing......")

Phil I have used avg in the past they were very good!!,I would use them again but this provider already comes with Norton built in. If you want too see about any free stuff check out P.C.World.dot com.