Topic: soft fingers

Hi all
Although i`ve been playing for about 14 months i find that after i`ve been playing for round about an hour or so i start to get like grooves in my fingers which can make it a bit awkward when changing chords as the strings stick in the grooves a little bit !! i also get a bit of buzzing because i can`t hold the strings down properly , anybody got any tips for hardening the fingers

Re: soft fingers

Keep playing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Keep playing.

good advice,  keep playing,

badeye   cool

one caper after another

You might want too try a lighter guage string and check the neck on your guitar,it may need some adjustment that can help bring the strings down. It will take some time tooget your fingers back in good playing shape.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi One#7,  Those beginning guitars can be rough on the fingers. As a youngster, I remember putting layers of fast drying glue on my finger tips. It helped and got me by and was easily peeled off. As suggested above, keep at it but maybe back off a little bit.

Hi, I had this problem, too, after not playing for a few months, then returning, enthusiastically! There is a product that you can paint on your fingertips, like clear nail polish, that I have heard works, but the best two things I found were to 1)NEVER play immediately after washing your hands (although you do want to play with clean hands!) Also, 2) I started dipping my fingertips in Dubbin, which is a waterproofing leather treatment that comes in a tin. I used it after every time I washed my hands, and I cut back on any hand lotion or cream I had been using. Now, my calluses are ridge-less, and no longer hurt when I play for a long time! Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot guys some things to try but I guess its a case of just keep playing , heard  an interview with charlene spitera of texas and she was saying after mamy years of playing her fingers are still in bits , good job the pleasure outweighs the pain !

You can also soak your finger tips in rubbing alcohol.  yes it dries out your skin,,, but that is what your trying to do. it helps the calus build faster.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)