Topic: JAMMING

Is it ok to do copyrighted songs in a jam session? I have read so much info that makes me think it is wrong but just can't believe it is since no one is getting pad to do it. Actually it's a complement for some one to like a song well enough to try and share it.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: JAMMING

hey deadstring,i do not think there would be a problem at all doing them in a jam session.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It's a learning experience to jam.  Chock it up under the educational use exception.  If the jam is public and folks are paying, then the venue should be paying for use of copyrighted material.  If it's all just for fun and learning of the folks playing, then I don't think there's an obligation to pay.  I'm not an Intellectual Property attorney, though.  The laws are screwy. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the replies.
Zurf in my case it certainly is a leaning experience.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

In a jam session where everyone is invited to play along, doing covers, especially the standards, is almost mandatory. I have never been at at jam session when only originals were played - doesn't seem like that would be much of a jam at all if nobody knows the song.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

6 (edited by beamer 2013-10-26 23:30:16)

I have friends in a professional cover  band. It is not aginst the law to play them as a payed band,, only to record and sell with out copywrite permissions IE Royalities paid.  In a jam session covers is what its about and then taking it to another place with each person being able to take a solo if desired.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks again. I feel better.

Jam on buddy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.