Topic: guitar sound

I was using my PA to play backing tracks, vocals and my guitar through. When one of my speakers took a dive I had to buy lesser quality bins that I didn't feel could handle all three. So I dug out my old Peavy Bandit and began lugging that around my gigs.

Lately I've began experimenting with the sound I'm getting, I've always used chorus from my Boss ME50 and a little echo which gives a nice country/rhythm feel from my Tele, it of course gives a nice crack for rock numbers.

So....while tuning up before the gig last night I switched off the chorus and was delighted with the "dry sound" I got but when I was playing full pelt the sound just wasn't there and so I had to switch the chorus back on. I've heard this with other guitarists too, anyone know why this happens?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: guitar sound

You get used to that chorus.  At volume (unles your punching it with an all valve head or combo)
I think solid state amps just dont push it.

THough I dont play live (wish I did have that much talent, i used to garage band it for a while) when Im on my electric, I just cant play dry. I just dont like the sound.  For clean I still have a pinch of gain in there for some boost, and definatly the delay and chorus and maybe a hint of verb in there also.
for rock, im pushing the he!! out of it with my full bore metal or if not going over the top, some good OD out of the digitech set for a Boss OD1.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

hi metal man, i used to be in a couple of metal bands, really enjoyed them, but i used to get real bad headaches due to having to scream over the amps (no monitors). i dont think the clientele where i now gig would appreciate big volumes, i cant seem to get my peavy above 1 let alone 13! LOL. but i know where your coming from, aint nothin' like cranking the gain to the top....ah the good old days

Well Phill,

Aint that the beauty of a stomp box? You can dial the master on the amp to 1 and make it as nasty as you want with the stomp! smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

SOOOOO TRUE

I love the sound and feel of tubes pushed hard. Solid state always leaves me feeling sad and empty inside.