Topic: I need a little help, suggestions...

Truth is, we all know I need a LOT of help!  ha ha!  But for now, I'll just bother you all with a few questions.

1.  I generally use Elixir Nanonowebs medium on my Martin.  I've tried the lights, and they sound empty.  My issue with the Mediums is that it's REALLY hard to fret standard chords up at the nut without a capo, so I almost ALWAYS use a capo even if it's just on the first fret.  Now, this isn't a big issue personally but Chordiestock is coming up and well, I won't be able to play with anyone else not using a capo and while you all love me I doubt you'll all WANT to put a capo on your first fret just to appease me.  Plus, I'd like to be able to play my guitar "normally" once in a while.  LOL!  I use the nanowebs because they last forever.  (I know everyone has opinions.  I know I should try a million different kinds till I'm happy.  I just need a starting ground if anyone can understand where I'm coming from).

Sooooooo, long story short, who has suggestions for my 000-15M with a lighter gauge string than Elixir Nanoweb Medium that doesn't sound empty?

2.  I REALLY love to sing blues.  I have issues with music theory and barre chords.  Any suggestions on simple to play bluesy songs for a Chick to sing?  smile

THANKS!!!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: I need a little help, suggestions...

Just tune a semi-tone low before you capo- problem solved.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Short of trying all the strings out there, as you mentioned, whitewater seems to have the perfect answer.  I like to push Kurt Mangan strings because they are very bright sounding and they also last a long time.  Give them a try.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I was going to recommend the same thing as Whitewater55. 

Also, try D'Addario Silk and Steel strings.  They don't last long, but while they last they have very good projection and full sound.  I buy them at my local shop for about $8/set, but you can get them on line for a lot less. 

Also, I've tried Ernie Ball Earthwood series and they are GREAT.  I love them. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well, I was thinking of trying the Martin FX, but reviews indicate I won't like the weak sound.  I'm having Jim pick me up a set of SP Custom Lights and I'll see what I think of them.  Withewater's idea will work though if I can't find a string I like before Feb!  wink  I thought about those D'Addario Silk and Steels too.  If I don't like the SP I think that might be the next thing I try!

Easy Bluesy sounding songs?  Anyone?

Sounds like the grooves on the nut at the bottom of your guitar neck are not cut deep enough to let you play easily low on the neck. A fix is to cut the grooves deeper. If you cut down too deep you have to install a new nut and cut again.
One groove on my Gibson's neck at the nut wore down too deep. I slid a toothpick under it and broke it off. It did the job until I had a chance to glue in a new nut.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well... I guess from reviews, the 000-15M is not suggested for 12's - this must be why.  Jim's at the store now.  No custom lights available.  So I told him to see if they have the FX or the D'Addario Silk and Steel in the 12's or 11.  He grabbed Martin Silk N Steel.  We shall see!  I'll let ya'll know what I think.  My Elixirs on there now are only a week or so old, so it'll be a good comparison.  LOL!

Toots, I'm scared to mess with the standard set up on my Martin for fear of having to replace anything.  The string height is just right, but up close to the nut has never played right for me.  If trying different strings doesn't fix the issues, I may just take to to where I bought it and see if they can lower the nut a bit for me.  That was the first thing they said they could do when I bought it, but they suggested against it.  Said I'd get better, then be upset.  LOL!  I guess I didn't get better!  ha ha!

I don't know about the nanowebs, but most maufacturers have in betweens. Like custom light or med-light. Maybe try going one set down and give that a try.

Unless they guys at the store are luthiers I would get a second opinion. Not all guitars are the same and they aren't a universal fit. A luthier will be able to fit your guitar to how you play. Filing the nut means the strings are closer to the lower frets, but what about up at the 12th? Take it in to someone who knows what they are doing. I would recommend a private luthier. Just because they work at a store doesn't mean they are competent. I had this an issue with my first guitar and a store guy. Let's just say, it didn't work out.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy did you ever have your martin set up when you got it ? the action on the strings may need too be loward, you may want too pull the bridge up and see if they have any material under it and if so remove it and try it out. There are many videos on you tube showing you how too do it yourself. It's easy!! I know you could do the blues and play better if you learned the panotonic scales they are easy too learn in the blues area around frets 12 through 17 ,you can do alot and learn the next one down the neck also. you should not have too keep a capo on your martin all the time.Look around youtube they have alot of people showing you how .Once you learn them you will be able too jump into almost any song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am with Toots on this, however it is not a job for the inexperienced (by the way it is usually easier to remove the nut and then remove material from the bottom of it. You do not have to worry about getting one groove too deep or too wide for the strings this way). So I would suggest you take it to a luthier and have him work on the nut for you.

I so love guitars like my 70's 12er that has a zero fret for the strings to run across; you always have the lowest action possible at the nut, but sadly I do not know of any modern guitars have them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You can play blues a lot of different ways and never barre a note.

E A B7
C F G
G D A
A D E

That's about ten zillion songs, conservatively.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Try some Ernie Ball Earthwood medium lights. Great tone and last for awhile.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Amy,
You might want to try some Martin Lifespan SP strings. I have been using them on my Martin and I like them. They will sound different than Elixirs. I have had good luck with the life of them and prefer them over Elixirs. I use Elixirs on some of my other guitars but I think they mute some of the sound on the Martin. I use Lights .012-.054 . They are gonna sound a little brighter to start with but settle in very nice......

Later, Wayne P

14 (edited by dino48 2013-11-10 19:47:08)

Hi Amy I looked up some of my Eric Clapton tunes for some easy blues songs for you. Do not let the titles or performer scare you as they are easy on an acoustic strumming or fingerpicking,they are Crossroads e-7,a-7,b-7.  Before you accuse me, e, a, b-7. Nobody knows you when you are down and out. c, e-7, a-7, dm, f, d-7, g-7. I fingerpick  them but you can strum them if you like. You can find all them here at chordie  so you can see the words and chord placements. they can be played at almost all speeds,I hope that helps.I hope someday you will do The Rose by Bette Midler.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks guys for all your suggestions!  So far, the Marquis Silk and Steel 11's are on there and it's SOOOO MUCH EASIER TO PLAY!  Jim also grabbed me a pair of SP 12's.  I don't really notice much difference in the sound from the Elixirs to the Marquis, other than being a hair muted, but NOT BAD!  Jim hated the Elixirs and thinks it sounds better.  Could be just his opinion of the brand, or being the one standing in front of it maybe there is a difference to him.  The good thing though, I don't think I'll need to take the guitar in anywhere now!  I still think the nut could stand to be lowered a hair, but it's not so terrible that I can't play it anymore.  I can't believe those nanowebs are so stiff!

Thanks Dino for the song suggestions!  I actually have been working on The Rose now that I can play where I need to for the right sound!  smile  Jim's already planning to maybe join us at some point via Skype during ChordieStock... I hope you will too!

I've never been a fan of elixirs. I would get the guitar set up.

Any Janis Joplin should be pretty easy.