Topic: Barre chords - eurika moment...

I may be dummer than the average bear -- wouldn't be a surprise, but...

I just discovered something that has made a difference for me.
I have been pinching the barred index finger and thumb to hold the chord with limited success.  *sigh* and it just doesn't work and I think I see CTS in the near future.

Then I read an email from Paul Kleff [paul@guitarlessonsforbeginnersonline.net] on how to stop avoiding barre chords and I think I found something that works.

It ain't about the vice grip on the neck... The trick is to set the thumb down the fret board (or even up for come chords) and use the leverage from twisting the wrist.  A very different approach but it made a difference to me.

Give it a whirl.
Jim

Re: Barre chords - eurika moment...

My problem isn't barring. It is the other 3 fingers and making the changes. Simple (real simple) ones I can do. Not the ones using more than 2 fingers.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

So, are you saying fret the bottom three strings with your index finger and wrap your thumb down over the top three strings?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I use the weight of my arm to pull the fingers in to the neck.

It took me a long time to catch on to that one too Jim.  I read an article in Acoustic Guitar that dealt with switching between cowboy chords and barre chords that was invaluable. 

BGD - You ought to try a bench vise instead of having to lop off your arm like that.  Doesn't that make it hard to hold the guitar?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

haha. I mean I hang my arm off the guitar using my hand as the anchor point.

bensonp wrote:

So, are you saying fret the bottom three strings with your index finger and wrap your thumb down over the top three strings?

Pete I think he's saying move your thumb toward the floor more and twist your wrist to press your fingers into the fretboard.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

8 (edited by beamer 2013-07-30 02:10:09)

I think after reading about all the people here who have trouble with barr chords I am very glad to have started on a electric playing heavy metal.   Its primarily all barr chords.  I learned the "cowboy chords" also because mixing the two up make some great transitions!  The main bands that comes to mind are Motley Crue and Poison.  Mick Marrs has always put both forms in their music.  CC Devile also writes this way.  I know a lot of others have also but for the metal crowd  they stand out.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

bensonp wrote:

guitars singing beer and camping you must be a scout leader like me  forby sunderland

10 (edited by beamer 2013-12-15 00:48:27)

I just found this great vid for everyone who still  can not do a barr chord,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVj1TZ … eyynFf-rrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tMr2dU … vHdoH2yEHQ

this guy will get you past the phobia smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I know that things aren't always easy but I am struggling to play bar chords. Any tricks would be helpful. In the meantime I'll try a few of the tricks I have just read about

I have used the same method to play a bar F or G or any bar F position and it works for me I use the back side of my 1st finger to bar but only apply pressure on the low and high E strings the rest is just a 1st position open E chord on the 5th 4th and 3rd strings, and on a bar C chord (3rd fret) I use my 1st finger on the A string 3rd fret and my 4th not my 3rd finger to play the B G D strings on the 5th fret it is less stressful on your hand and an easier way to fret this chord. which also works for a Bb or B, C, (C# Db) D (D# Eb) E F (F# Gb) and finely G on the 10 fret but that's as far as I care to go with it and the same with the bar F position as you get passed the 8th fret it becomes more strenuous to maintain that position and I wind up switching to a 4 string type F positon after the 8th fret.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

There's a time when barre chords are the best way to go, and other times when they can limit what a guitarist can do with them. Chords have the traditional way of being played in the 1st position (at the nut) and also variations in the 5th and 7th positions. For finger-style work, I generally find these variations more useful than barre chords. But when some power and "chunka-chunk" is needed, it's hard to beat barres. Just depends on the type of music, the song structure, and the guitarist's style of play.