Topic: What Goes Around Came Around.

I forgot all about this. Back in 2010, I saw an ad on craigslist from a man looking to buy an accordion. I called him and told him I had a Scandelli and I wanted 50.00 for it. I paid 30.00 for it. Then he said  that he wanted it. He told me that he was dying from cancer and played and didn`t have one and wanted to play again. I told him that my wife was a survivor (at the time). After thinking about it I told my wife I couldn`t charge him more than I paid. I called him and told him I wanted 30.00 just to get my money back on it. He was thankful for that. Then I called him back again and told him I wanted a 20 oz bottle of Cold Diet Coke in exchange for the accordion. He said he couldn`t take it for free. I said it isn`t free. I want a 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke. Don`t show up without it. He laughed and agreed. His daughter drove him to my house to get it. She said that she heard I drank Diet Coke. She gave me a 12 pack of Diet Coke. I asked him just to play it once since I could never play it. I tried but couldn`t figure it out. Even with books. He played " Under The Boardwalk". Said it was a good accordion. Shook hands and thanked me. I told him to enjoy it. I would rather see it being played instead of taking up space with all my equipment. I don`t know if he is still around or whatever happened to the accordion.                                                                                                                  What I do know is that now that I am in a similar situation, I don`t have any guilty feelings about taking advantage of a sick man. Also I have gotten so many thoughts and support from friends and family that I feel like it came back to me for one deed. I have family and friends bringing food all he time. Driving my wife to appointments because of my heavy work schedule. Supportive messages and offers to clean my house. Even here I have gotten all kinds of support. Also on facebook. Thank you for all that. Now it seems like it all came back to me big time. What went around came around Big Time. In a good way. That`s it. Just had to vent a little. I will never know if things would be different if I charged him 50.00 like I quoted him.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: What Goes Around Came Around.

That's a lovely story, and proves that there are still GOOD hearts out there, and yours must be one of the best. I do hope the best for your wife, and I'm sure if there is a heaven your place is secure.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I think you've got plenty of good karma coming your way. You're a good man.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Way to go JoeyX3 - karma is a great thing.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

good story jjj,and I have seen alot of what goes around etc. and you are deserving of any good thing that comes your way

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think you would have the outpouring of love even if you charged the guy. Because of the people that you and your wife are in general is why you are being rallied around. I don't believe in karma per say. One good act doesn't begat another good act. It is all in the way you treat people as a whole. You my friend can reap what you have sown.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story jjj,
Perhaps your compassion and generosity past enables you to accept it now from others -- No small feat to be sure.
Best wishes,
Jim

There is a saying "No good deed goes unpunished" but I prefer "No good deed goes unnoticed by Him" which seems to true in your case.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank you for sharing that story with us Joe.  Accept the help, you need it and clearly you have good people around you willing to offer it.  No doubt it is because of your kindess to them, and the stranger.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Lovely story, Joey! I'm not ruling out karma, but I think that story just shows that you and your wife are good people, and friends and family will always respond to that. Unfortunately, good things don't necessarily happen to good people, but I wish it were so!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Nice story jjj my parents always brought me up to believe good people always triumphed in the end , the way this world is lately i wonder if they would think the same now, i`m sure the guy really appreciated your gesture and enjoyed playing his accordian .

You did good Joey.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Great story Joey.  On the other hand sometimes what goes around just goes.........

Several years ago I bought my father-in-law's old pop-up camper after he passed away.  None of my wife's brothers or sisters wanted it so my mother-in-law was going to give it to me but I insisted on paying her the blue-book wholesale price of $700 as she needed the money.  I spent a couple hundred more on new tires, etc as the canvas was still good and it was in decent shape. I used it a few times but it was a large pop-up and quite a load to pull up and down hills behind my little 4-cylinder Subaru, so I was thinking of selling it and use the money as a down payment on a new smaller and lighter unit.  I was camping along a local stream and was getting ready to fold it up and head home when I saw an old guy I knew try to set up a small tent at a nearby campsite.  He had recently had one leg amputated at the knee due to diabetes and was struggling with his gear.  I invited him to use my camper and he accepted.  When I went back to pick it up a few days later he was raving about how much easier it was to camp in the pop-up instead of a tent and said he was thinking about getting one. I told him mine was for sale and for him I'd let it go for $400.  He said he'd think about it as money was a little tight as he was trying to pay his doctor bills, etc.  After I pulled the camper back home I discussed it with my wife.  The old guy was a navy veteran just like my father-in-law so we decided to just give it to him in appreciation for his service.  I called him and made the offer but he was too proud to accept so I offed to trade for his old tent.  After some thought he agreed.

A couple years later I ran into him.  He used the camper to take his grand kids on a Florida vacation and thanked me again.  I'm glad he enjoyed it as a year later he passed away.

Last year I took my grand kids on a camping and rafting trip in WV.  I brought a couple tents for my daughter and her family and decided to also bring the old tent I had traded for as it had been in the garage for years and I'd never used it.  The first night we camped there was a bad rain storm.  My daughter, son-in-law and grand kids weathered it just fine in the tents i brought for them.  I had to get up in the middle of the night and crawl into my truck.  The old tent I'd traded for leaked like a sieve............ wink

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

That`s great Ed. While  400.00 feels good in your pocket, sometimes an act of charity makes you feel better in your heart. While 50.00 isn`t as much, it still makes me feel good about giving it to him. I hope he is still around using it. I have no way of knowing.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hey Dirty Ed, I'll give you a leaky tent if you're collecting those these days.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That story is full of good and sad emotion Dirty Ed

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

That`s great Ed. While  400.00 feels good in your pocket, sometimes an act of charity makes you feel better in your heart. While 50.00 isn`t as much, it still makes me feel good about giving it to him. I hope he is still around using it. I have no way of knowing.

You're so right Joey.  It's not the amount, its the spirit in which it was given.  In my case it was never about charity, it was about helping someone out and showing appreciation for the sacrifice that veteran and countless others have made for us.

I know you've been through a lot lately and hope things will go better for you in the future buddy.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs