1 (edited by Artie'splaying 2013-12-03 23:51:28)

Topic: Not another barre question!

Yep, another barre question, and of course, it's about the dreaded Bm. I'm an acoustic player, and I'm interested in how other people have developed their barre ability on this chord. When I started, I would need at least a beat to get my fingers into position. Moreover, I had to put the Am shape down first and then apply the barre. Of course, it was a long time before my barre finger could really set in across the fret board.

Over a long time, I got to the point that if I could more or less do my two-step approach in time--but just barely. Then I noticed that accomplished players put their barre finger down just before they applied the Am shape, and I've slowly been trying to adopt that method. I can basically do it that way now, although moving from some chords, like from Em to Bm is still a bit sloppy. Playing that G  Bm C  D sequence in "Uncle John's Band" by the Grateful Dead over and over again helped. Nevertheless, sometimes I still don't do a barre, I'd just add my index finger to the F# on the high E and only play the top four strings.

Anyway, I'd like to find out how other people have, over the long haul, developed their Bm. I know this topic has been raised before, but I always enjoy reading about it.

2 (edited by beamer 2013-12-04 00:34:32)

Re: Not another barre question!

that method is also acceptable.   instead of barring all the way across. just remember to omit the low E.  here are other forms also  http://www.jguitar.com/chordsearch?chordsearch=Bm

what it does not show in the first figure is that you dont really have to use your 2nd finger either. technically this is a B5 (its just the power chord version) and you only strum the strings your fingers are on. and your only x 2 4 4 x x.  As to how you lay out , i go for the index barre and then lay the rest down. its just pratice.  by playing a lot of  metal, this just comes a bit natural to me. (pratice on a electric, its easier to get that index barre)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I saw a vid awhile back that had this approach:

Grab your barre chord and squeeze it really tight for 30 seconds. Release, then squeeze again. do this over and over and it forces muscle memory because of the intense squeezing.

Something like that.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it 200 times a night, every night, for a month. If that doesn't do it, then three months. It took me a few years to get barre chords, and only recently have I been actually attempting The Evil B.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree with all of these options. There's always more than one way to skin a cat as they say.  Try playing as many different barre chords as you can. Majors, Minors , 7th's etc. until you build muscle memory. Pick a song and play it all in barre chords. It may not sound right and your timing will probably be off , but you will get used to moving into those positions quicker. The end result like the rest of your playing is practice , practice ,practice. You've got this far so I know you can accomplish the Bm barre.
Good luck.

Joe

Zurf has the right idea.  Just do it over and over and over and over and over and over....Well you get the idea.  I talk big, I know because I don't do barre chords with my arthritic left hand it just hurts too much, but as in everything else I do, practice makes you better, always.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

1. Relearn A minor without using your index finger. Then the barre position will be a lot easier.
2. 99% of the time you can play a Bm7. Easier to fret and sounds coool.

2 (Look Mom - no pinky!)

3. Here's my most fun thing to do. I hammer the chord on from the barre. I put my index finger in position on the barre then play

2 - 2
2 - 3
2 - 2
2 - 4
2 - 2
x

Sounds very Doobie Brothers. smile

I had a real bad time with the dreaded barre chords the b and f chords but when I was not able too play a lot of my favorites I really tried a lot harder and can do them well now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sometimes the neck angle helps a lot with barre's.

For example, note that most classical guitarists have their neck pointing up at about a 45-degree angle. Perhaps try changing the way your strap holds the guitar off your shoulder, and see what happens ... worked very well for me. Having the neck out at almost parallel to the floor creates a very unnatural angle for the wrist, and that could well be the source of the difficulties. Just another view to consider ... hope it's some help.

10 (edited by rotoiti 2013-12-07 04:12:58)

If my fingers haven't warmed up and I want Bm I form Bm7 first then bring the other finger down to form Bm on the next beat or even 2 beats and I don't always flatten the index finger. Sounds a bit loose and sloppy but I think I get away with it. My least favourite chord is Eb, I barre the 6th fret and form the A shape with my little finger on the 8th fret. Playing Women by John Lennon it goes Eb Fm7 Eb Fm7 Eb Cm Fm Bb etc Has anyone got a Eb shape that can be played closer to the nut where I play the F chord. Thanks

Baldguitardude wrote:

1. Relearn A minor without using your index finger. Then the barre position will be a lot easier.

This^^^^

Once I happened upon this technique, while learning a song, I learned to form the E and the Am without using my index. It speeds up the barre process and helps make some of those changes from open to barre easier.